Prey - New Predator film directed by Dan Trachtenberg available on HULU

Prey already filling my entertainment quota with people scoffing about the chances of someone killing a Predator with a bow and arrow.

Arnold killed a Predator with a log.

On one hand, sure why not? Predator and Native Americans? Go for it.

On the other hand, it’s a Hulu Original and frankly I’ve not seen a single Hulu Original movie that impressed me.

Pray that it doesn’t.

— Alan

Not even Palm Springs?

Nah. Didn’t really care for it. I just hate Andy Samberg. And I know he was very subdued there, but yuck.

That said, I guess I can say that it was one of the rare Hulu movies that I didn’t dislike to due to obvious budget shortcomings, so there’s that.

I enjoyed Boss Level and Palm Springs. I haven’t actually seen any other Hulu movies so they’re batting a thousand with me. Plus I love their TV shows so much. Whoever the decision maker is over there really knocks it out of the park when it comes to TV shows.

I’d forgotten about this one, such a great freaking movie.

Rad!

That is really cool.

It also reminded me to finally check out the trailer, which was outstanding. I didn’t even recognize the lady from Legion until someone in the comments brought it up.

I was wondering if they meant they shot it in both languages, and indeed, they did. I think Hinterland was the last thing I saw where this was done. In that series, the English version still had some Welsh scenes/lines, but I don’t know if the reverse was also true.

That looks awesome.

Also, I think that I definitely will watch it in Comanche.

Strong start!

I don’t see any reviews yet?

Oh weird - it had 12 before, and they were all fresh. It even had blurbs and such? Hang on, I took a picture to send to my son…

Maybe someone messed up the review embargo date and undid it.

I would agree, but it would mean 12 reviewers/sites messed up, including IGN (whose review headline is what caused me to check Rotten Tomato). Not sure what the deal is there. The blurbs I skimmed made it sound like everyone really liked it and more than one called it a callback to the original 87 in terms of pace/horror themes. It sounded like a lot of really impressed critics, and given we had a well reviewed film in this franchise since (I assume) the first one, it all sounded really promising.

EDIT: I clicked the link and the 12 are back. Probably an issue on RT’s end.

This sounds encouraging.

Can’t wait.

I think I’ll get up Sunday morning early for this movie, so that I turn it up and watch it without waking up the rest of the family. The original Predator was so unexpectedly great, but then the franchise has been one disappointment after another. The first half of Shane Black’s version actually gave me high hope. I was enjoying myself so much! But then the second half was so bad, I want to scrub the memory of that movie from my brain. Same with Adrian Brody’s movie. At least the AvP movies had the decency to be standard teen B-movies. But I just love the original so much, I always go into a new Predator movie with high hopes. I can’t help myself.

Prey released on Hulu today. I really enjoyed it. Amber Midthunder is excellent. She deserves a lot more work.
This instance of the predator was really interesting. I liked having the Comanche as the protagonists.