Prey - New Predator film directed by Dan Trachtenberg available on HULU

Looks like I was wrong above and it was shot only in English, although there is a Comanche dub available from the overview page (but not while viewing, apparently). Bummer.

Myers confirmed that director Dan Trachtenberg had “originally pitched” the prequel as a Comanche movie to studios, but a merger side-lined the idea. Instead, a Comanche dub will be available to viewers on the same day Prey is released on Disney+ and Hulu.
(via)

Watched it in the Comanche dub. Liked it a whole lot. Lead actress is excellent in all regards. Will probably watch again soon in English.

Rank it as 2nd best Predator behind the original.

So great to hear! I can’t wait to watch this!

Amber Midthunder was excellent in Legion, and she was a perfect choice here, imo. She’s actually Sioux, btw (I’m not sure any of the actors are actually Comanche).

This is also my second favorite Predator movie, but I found it to be…forgettable. Lacked a certain something. But I loved it and will probably watch it again.

Prey feels like something you’d get by fusing Predator with the imagery and seriousness of The Revenant. And I quite liked it.

Dug the cinematography and am glad I got to watch it in 4K w/ HDR. Would have been nice to watch this in a movie theater, alas it was not meant to be. The creature vfx and the Predator design were good.

Naru’s plot premise/arc was a bit boring though. It’s basically a modern Disney princess, and Prey doesn’t have a more interesting angle for it. Also, it might be a nitpick, but I wasn’t a fan of the moment when the Predator basically does a Houdini act while he’s fighting Naru’s brother. Like, for that part, he’s all of a sudden 100% invisible (no visual distortions) and also manages to change his position without causing even the tiniest of noises. Kinda seems against the rules all movies (including Prey) establish previously.

I don’t know what people are seeing in this movie but it was horrible. The non scifi portions of the movie were ridiculous, plausibility 0, especially the hunting scenes which were ridiculous, laughable, especially someone quite familiar with hunting.

I thought the acting was terrible and the script was trite, even for a hack and slash Predator movie. I didn’t even understand the ending battle, it just didn’t make any sense.

This movie rocked. It was really fun.

I really enjoyed this movie and it’s based on a true story from 1719. I am actually shocked it didn’t go to theaters first, as it feels like a blockbuster movie to me.

Thumbs up!

This was quite good. I really liked that the story had more going on than just a straight Predator hunt.

My only complaint would be that it’s kind of bullshit that the Predator doesn’t understand how his own spike-shooter weapon works with the helmet.

Still, a solid thumbs up from me.

Ah yiss, reading the thread I believe there are two types of viewers here.

One that is overly sensitive on matters o plausibility with the extreme being can’t suspend disbelief for a single nano second to save their lives.

The another just in it for a rip roaring good time.

I’ll probably watch this tonight.

I liked it. 7/10.

Production value seemes low. Single layer plot.

The predator / prey theme scenes were over done (bug eaten by rabbit, rabbit eaten by snake, snake killed by pred… same w wolf and rabbit… these scenes were not needed

Ok… maybe 5/10

I enjoyed it a lot. There were a couple of things I didn’t like, one being the constant switching to overheard shots looking directly downward. It should have been only used in that one grassland scene, but it was used constantly. And secondly, the scene where the brother gets killed was weirdly handled, the way the Predator disappeared completely and then the brother seemed to know he was going to die, I felt that whole thing should be re-written and could be done way better.

Overall a great time though. I really appreciated that unlike Arnold, our hero can’t go toe to toe with the Predator, even at the end. Because she’s small and really light.

This should have been the way to go for this franchise from the second movie onward, when we saw the trophies on the ship. Predators in various time periods.

Cheesiest bit for me was the cooling medicine. But they needed something different than Arnie’s mud in P1. They did introduce Chekov’s blood cooling medicine early, though.

I liked:

• ramp up of the Predator’s prey: snake, wolf, bear, humans
  • how the Predator played by tech rules until it got pissed, then it unleashed the three seeker mines. Predator had the arm band tech. Do you think it didn’t have the shoulder laser gun or left that on the ship to replace with the three arrow caster?
  • scenery was fantastic. as said earlier, Revanent-esqu
  • interweaving of Comanche costume and language. The interspersal of Comanche and French was pretty well done with switch over to English within the tribe

It’s a shame this didn’t get the chance to be a box office success. I think it could have been.

This could have been a 250+ million hit. It’d be against nothing but Bullet Train, and I hear people are just walking out of that one.

I really enjoyed this movie. Firmly in the good column of Predator movies. But I have a few gripes related to Predator canon (movies only).

• No proper plasma caster. The signature weapon. It’s replaced with a three prog magically retractable bolt system, which isn’t even shoulder mounted but imbedded in the predators bespoke bone helm. This change is unnecessary and I don’t really like it. Also related, and I may have missed something, but how the heck does Naru fire the thing remotely for the movie’s killshot?! This is in the pit of WTFness.

• The Shield. I loath the idea of a Predator having to resort to using a shield. Shields are for defensive fuck wimps which a Predator ain’t. I know it doubles as the disc replacement but…it’s a fucking shield dude. Get housed!

• The Predator healing scene in this movie is…a total let down. Some kind of insta heal spray tan shit for 5 seconds, or you serious bro? I always loved how involved and weird those healing/wound treatment scenes were in Predator 1 & 2. This one was just boring and uninspired.

Some of those changes to the Predator, I just assumed were due to the 250+ year difference between this movie and the first one. Technology changed for the Predators slightly in that time, or perhaps they were using different tools in that time frame, not for technology reasons but just because they were more fashionable.

I just really love the sounds of the Predator and without that fabulous plasma caster targeting and firing sound I am sad.

The movie establishes this pretty well. The bolt shooter is a carried gun, which has an optional guidance system tied to the helmet. The bolts go straight ahead when the guidance system is unavailable.

In the final scene, the Predator thinks that it’s in manual mode, but it isn’t. He fires the gun himself, Naru doesn’t do anything but bait him into doing it.

You totally lost me at carried gun…

The bolts don’t come out of the helmet? I guess I have to re-watch that scene.