Prey to be Digitally Distributed

Perhaps I should have used Gary’s thread but I just found out that Prey will be digitally distributed. Let me apologize in advance for getting the discussion started.

Fuck xStream.

:twisted:

Huh? Why the hostility?

I bought HL2 online, I thought it was a good thing. I probably paid too much money for it though, since DoD isn’t out and I’m thinking it won’t be even out this year.

What’s the big deal? It wont be exclusively online right?

BTW, for anyone who knows the numbers, suppose a case like this where xStream is not that widespread in its usage, how many units of the game would the developer need to sell using digital distribution to equal the amount of money they would get over a year by having a publisher publish the game for them?

xStream: probably the most diluted product name you can come up with

Actually, xStream doesn’t sound all bad in theory. At least the system allows the gamer to play when offline and backup to CD/DVD. However, I’m pretty sceptical about any form of DRM. I just don’t think it’s possible to make a non-trivially crackable DRM on today’s systems without messing with shit you are not supposed to mess with (like the CD-ROM standard).

I think people are missing the joke. Fuzzy is obviously riffing on the whining and gnashing of teeth about steam from when HL2 was released.

– Xaroc

It’s so hard to tell sometimes. Not with Fuzzy specifically, but in general. You know opinions are extreme when you can’t distinguish them from sarcasm.

Thrrpptt! should obviously just die on the spot.

This is a good thingTM. If VALVe wants anyone to use Steam after xStream starts kicking butt they’ll have to improve it…

which means in return xStream will get improved, and then Steam will get improved again. So we, the consumers, end up with better products ;). I’ll probably buy Prey on DVD though, if at all possible (unless Prey online is cheaper… hah yeah right).

Fuck 'em on principle. Another shooter off my list. No loss.

I’ll buy it online like I bought HL2 and burn it to DVD. =)

I’ll buy it. If it turns out to be a fucked up monster like Steam, it will be the last 3drealms I buy.

Hold on, why…? It’s a completely different program from Steam. That article doesn’t even say you won’t be able to get it in stores, so you probably will.

Well, because Midnight Son is a knee-jerk reactionary just like the Slashdot crowd. Heh.

It’s just judging before we see anything… people were upset about HL2 because Steam has been out for years in advance and it it wasn’t (and still isn’t) a very good program. xStream may be like the Firefox of game streaming for all we know!

A game about Native Americans involving the word stream? No way, forget it pal. Am I the only one who saw that episode of Sealab? I don’t want Tommy Hawk pissing on my ancestors. He can keep his exstream to himself.

Uh, no. I won’t play that game, see. When I purchase a game, I expect it to work out of the box with no online access needed. That’s my standard. That’s why I bought my first console system since Genesis back in November. (!)

xStream is the future!

Uh, no. I won’t play that game, see. When I purchase a game, I expect it to work out of the box with no online access needed. That’s my standard. That’s why I bought my first console system since Genesis back in November. (!)[/quote]

You’re assuming that xStream won’t let you play offline, and I haven’t seen anything that would indicate otherwise.

Uh, no. I won’t play that game, see. When I purchase a game, I expect it to work out of the box with no online access needed. That’s my standard. That’s why I bought my first console system since Genesis back in November. (!)[/quote]

Online distribution is the way of the future. You know you can use a bucket to get water out of well too but you now currently pay for water and have to have a constant connection to their water network to use it. Plus you pay for it the more you use it. Quick, call and get your water disconnected because you are not going to take the abuse from the man.

– Xaroc

Online distribution is the way of the future. You know you can use a bucket to get water out of well too but you now currently pay for water and have to have a constant connection to their water network to use it. Plus you pay for it the more you use it. Quick, call and get your water disconnected because you are not going to take the abuse from the man.

– Xaroc[/quote]

I go to the store and buy my water in bottles!