Primary browser?

Firefox. Tried Chrome a couple of times, most recently a few weeks ago. Gave it a good couple of week or more trial, modded it with the add-ons I needed. I liked it, but I realized that I was always wishing it did this or that which I could do in Firefox via add-ons, and the comparable add-ons in Chrome just didn’t quite work as well (when there were comparable add-ons.)

Speed - eh, perhaps Chrome brings a page up a second faster, but I’m not willing to give up the ability to do much more customization in FF for a half second loading time on a web site.

I’ll keep checking back with Chrome. I expected to stick with it this time, but I just kept trying to make it more like my FF set-up, so I went back to FF.

The only speed difference I noticed with Chrome was from a cold start. Differences in page loading times were imperceptible for me.

Well, since macs are only 8.8% of the total and safari is 12.3%, you may well be onto something there. I can’t imagine people browsing on their iphones generate that much traffic, and nobody uses safari on windows.

(Cue somebody posting that they run safari on windows and are quite happy with it thank you very much.)

Well, modern computers are fast enough that it’s really really hard to tell the difference. Some of us are cheapskates, though, and have slower hardware - that, and pages with enough going on to cause major slowdowns, are where the speed difference really comes out.

Um, won’t be me :)

[/li]So if I’m using Chrome and adblocking, is that better for sites that rely on ad-revenue than Firefox which doesn’t ever present the ad?

Maybe.

If they get paid per impression and they count impressions simply by banner images served, then yes.

If they get paid per click, then no.

If they get paid per impression and the ad server also embeds some Javascript or such to confirm the ad was actually loaded into a browser and not just downloaded and not viewed, then no.

Chrome at home. At work we’re forced to use either IE6 or Firefox 3.1 - and Firefox doesn’t work with a lot of the internal sites that were designed purely for IE. It shouldn’t surprise anyone to hear that one of the biggest IT problems at the company is web-based malware infecting people’s computers.

Recent Firefox convert. My office uses IE, but I am allowed to use whatever I want and I am rarely in the office. There are a couple of research sites that I use with work that Firefox does not allow me to log into. Logging into our mail server from outside the office does not go well with with Firefox. For those couple of things I use IE.

I use Safari strictly because it automatically syncs between my MacBook, iMac, and iPhone.

I wish it would remember what it was looking at when I last opened it, like Firefox does.

I use Firefox at home and Firefox Portable at work (shhh! naughty). I use xMarks to sync my bookmarks, which is pretty awesome.

I dabble a bit with Chrome, especially as Google Docs causes Firefox Portable to eat the processor. Chrome seems alright, but I’m not sold on it. Whenever I see an app where someone has gone to the trouble of developing something distinct from the WinForm basics, I tense up a little. iTunes on Windows has burned me.

I’m a die-hard Chrome fan. I keep Firefox installed and use it some just for when Chrome isn’t rendering something properly (I also have IETab installed for Chrome and Firefox for some internal company sites), but that’s more and more rare.

I could probably drop Firefox altogether and be fine, but I still use it for a few things just out of habit.

Chrome just renders flash stuff SO FAST.

I’m trying to like Chrome, but I don’t think it’s working. I think I may just be too used to Firefox at this point.

Chrome feels snappier once I’ve got lots of tabs open vs Firefox which bogs down over time; it also seems to render graphics-heavy sites faster, though I’ve never officially tried timing it. Dunno what pixie dust Google sprinkles over Chrome to make it so, but there you go.

My experience was a bit… different.

With a few tabs open, Chrome was indeed meaner and leaner. The problem comes when you actually have a decent amount of tabs open. At that point chrome loses its lean status, but most importantly for me, once you have more than a few tabs open there was (when i used it) a VERY noticeable delay on switching the active tab that seemingly increases with the number of tabs you have open. Couple that with inferior tabbed browsing options (at the time) and you find yourself wasting a bunch of time switching tabs, waiting a few seconds, hoping it is what you wanted and repeating.

I’ve never encountered that problem – but Chrome is also getting better very fast. It’s worth trying a new release and seeing if you like it. (I’d recommend the beta channel, because its version is much newer than the stable channel, and entirely stable enough to use.)

That’s me.

I use Firefox as my primary browser and have Chrome installed mainly to check a second gmail account. Firefox does everything I want and is stable, so I don’t feel a compelling need to switch to something else. In terms of speed, my usage appears to be such that neither Firefox nor Chrome are particularly taxed. I’m running about 14 addons with Firefox and just using the default theme.

I was in the same boat for a long time, and then I decided to force myself to get over my “but it’s not Firefox!” reactions by using it mandatorily as my only browser for two weeks. At first, I was really irritated by a number of things – most of all by the lack of a drop-down on the URL bar (to quickly get at that MFU/MRU history that Firefox keeps); but I got over most of it, and started using the New Tab icons as a replacement for the drop-down.

By the end of the two weeks, when I went back to Firefox, I found myself being irritated at more in Firefox than in Chrome, so I stayed with Chrome.

Thanks for the Pale Moon tip. Firefox is great, but keeping many tabs open at once for an extended period of time really slows my computer down.