Production Line - Cliff Harris takes on car manufacturing

I assumed this game’s engine was custom for it. Was it based on one of your older ones, or something?

Yyeeeeeaaaaaa! :)

its mostly new code. The really low level core stuff is from my old games, with a ton of new optimised multithreaded goodness on top. 64 Bit is required because theoretically the game can hit a 2 GIG RAM limit with insane custom maps. DX11 is needed eventually so I can use texture arrays and therefore add a lot more animation variety without affecting performance.

I was just wondering how you could start a game in 2017/2028 and not use DX11 or be 64 bit! The only explanation I could think of is using bits from older games :)

I found 11 much easier to use than 9. In basically every-way. But I guess if you never got around to using it yet in another game there’s no incentive to switch, until some resource limit.

(And, if you’re writing green field code, multi arch is quite easy to target from the start. Just use the c99 style types and you’ll be ok)

Yup, its built upon the core of an older engine when 32bit was the norm and dx9 was all you needed for 2D (arguably it still is tbh).
Theres not really any point in 64 bit unless you are going to use 2gig or more of RAM, which these days has become common, but IMHO thats because of phenomenally RAM-wasting engines that seem to allocate incredible amounts of RAM for no good reason…but thats a whole different thread :D

And its officially out!

It’s rocking a 90% approval rating on Steam, which isn’t bad. It’s been on the wishlist, maybe I’ll pick it up soon whilst I wait for Factorio 1.0 ;)

I thought it was good way back in alphaville 2017 :)
Haven’t played in a bit so looking forward to the real deal 1.0!

Yea @cliffski2 !

indeed. this is a thing. that i made. :D

So there is a thread! It wouldn’t come up in search for some reason.

Congrats on official release. I’m traveling this weekend but I’ll hit the buy button when I get home today. Looking forward to it!

I bought this a little while ago thinking I would try it out but never got around to it. Now I get to play the real thing, so that’s good.

Well done and congratulations on completing the game!

I am really impressed where the game has ended up @cliffski2 You nailed pretty much all the issues I’d hoped would get addressed. Especially got to thank you for that discount option in car sales. Have to re-learn some things as it’s been awhile so having fun.

Anyone who likes production type games or cars please give this a look.

Awesome thanks! The discount stuff went in about 20 updates ago :D There are still GUI improvements and other tweaks coming.

Excellent! Looking for ward to them and thanks for continually looking for ways to improve the GUI.

I’m playing this as well and enjoying it. It’s quite a dangerous quarter-to-three game. I’m having some stability issues but with the base autosave setting at 5m I’ve never lose enough progress to care too much about it. Game startup is nice and zippy.

Is there a number anywhere with a car’s perceived value (base + features etc), rather than just it’s production/margin? I had the hardest time for a bit b/c I kept trying to sell an “expensive” car that just didn’t have enough features and so was always rated as “poor value for cost” or something like that in the showroom and didn’t move.

@cliffski2 is there any likelihood of a Mac port?

I played a bunch of this during early access and loved it. Will be picking it up back up after I burn myself out on Factorio and Satisfactory I think.

I would take a game like Production Line using DX9 and 32bit over a modern DX12 64bit game any day of the week if it ran like it does. It’s super tiny, fast, and polished. As a developer I understand why people don’t want to program in C++. I myself would rather stub my toe, but I sure appreciate it when game developers do so, and do it well.

Funnily enough we are now 64bit! but still directx9. There are no immediate plans for a mac port, because its my own engine, and I’m not a mac expert, so always have to get someone else to do (and support) the port, which is not ideal. However, I know there is a bunch of people already playing the game fine on OSX using WINE, which apparently does a good job.