Production Line - Cliff Harris takes on car manufacturing

Screenshots from the finish of the 2nd scenario (3000 budget cars sold). Ran a dream at speed 2 the whole time while youtube runs in the background on the other monitor.

Final Factory:

Thanks for the answer.

I remembered running GSB on my Mac and iPad, and just hoped you might have similar plans. But I completely understand that it might not be practical for an Indie dev.

Are there really only 6 scenarios? After playing Big Pharma I was expecting a more elaborate scenario system arranged from easy to difficult.

When I wishlisted this last year it was like $13-14. Now it’s saying $24. Harrumph.

I will be monitoring this thread for for more impressions.

@cliffski2 - as someone already mentioned on the Steam forums we really need to have “Congratulations - You Did It!” win dialogues when you complete missions in both Sandbox AND Scenario mode. Plus have achievements for each type as well. On the achievement front I’d really like to see a lot more available. Goals are needed to keep us driving the game :)

Interesting. I love achievements and thought I maybe went OTT by adding as many as I did but pleased to hear thats not the case :D

OMG no! Like I said, I’m not the only one asking either. I’m not sure if there are any other colors that could be added… like maybe some kind of metallic that would show as a different type of color coat… but I would love to have more colors added as achievement links as well.

@jpinard you’ve played this a lot, do you unlock more scenarios as you play or are the initial 6 it? Are they ordered in difficulty order?

Thanks!

6 total that can be played 3 ways each. One normal against AI competitors, one with scenario goals, and one free-for-all. There’s an editor that’s super easy to use, so designing new scenarios is a snap.

The scenarios also have the AI “competitors” in there.

A question about those competitors, it looks like they’re mostly just driving feature availability from none->lux->expensive->common over time but that just changes the baseline market expectation for a feature right? It’s not like they’re taking sales off of me. The competitiveness rating of the market also seems to be independent of that effect as well.

I don’t know myself…

I’m surprised to say this, but I don’t think Production Line is for me. I enjoyed Big Pharma quite a bit - played for over 50 hours and I could see myself playing it again at some point. I think the key difference is that in Big Pharma, the new machines that the player unlocks offers a new ability (the way the chemicals are combined). It was really fun figuring out efficient ways to get the outcome I wanted, shuffling the chemical, increasing the potency, etc.

In Production Line it seems new machines don’t give new ways to solve problems, but just give you more machines that I had to keep moving around to try to get more efficient production. It is just far less interesting to me. To also compound that issue, the UI seems more clunky than in Big Pharma. Maybe that is just me mis-remembering since it has been a while since I played it.

It makes me a bit sad because I was looking forward to playing this. I bought it a while ago but was waiting for the 1.0 release. If I had bought it recently, I probably would have returned it. @jpinard - I know you like this a lot. Am I missing something that may change my opinion? Have you played Big Pharma? I think you’d like it a lot.

I hadn’t played big pharma because I’m hit pretty hard by the price gouging on the pharmacy industry. I’m not sure if you knew this, but big pharma wasn’t made by Cliff, it was done by a different company but published by Cliff’s company, Positech.

From what I’ve seen on big pharma these are two totally different types of games even though they’re both production based. This is more about designing the production line of a Tesla plant, whereas big pharma is a more rounded game that doesn’t go so nerdy on the floor. I think they scratch very different itches. I do believe I would really enjoy big pharma too, but the guilt of making an expensive profitable med would hit home a bit too hard lol.

I think they’re pretty much the same itch, actually, but Big Pharma’s a bit more abstract and puzzly, whereas this is more Capitalism Plus-y.

I’m sorry I didn’t think to make that connection. I can see how the theme may give it a bad taste. I don’t know if I’m remembering this correctly, but in the base game I don’t think the player sets prices or anything so it is just about drug production. I think the expansion adds price control and other marketing options. Personally, I have the expansion but it didn’t appeal to me. I generally find the player setting the price for goods in games to feel very artificial - like how it effects product demand. So if you feel like you are discovering and producing useful drugs without gouging, then maybe you would be able to enjoy the game. If not, then probably best for you to avoid it. Definitely shouldn’t play games that make you feel bad.

Don’t apologize! Maybe I’m weird because I can’t dissociate from it as it’s just a game :)

Rumor has it that if you post your personal issue with a game or games to this thread you get a free pass from being called weird.

Yep I thought about that as I posted :)

I’ve just been informed that I have a “30% off for Big Pharam Owners”. Which would make it around £13.64.

(Speaking of which, @cliffski2 … why is it £19.49 to begin with? Is that a specific UK amount, or is it automatically calculated from $USD? Or is it the ultimate version of the car salesman technique applied to all 4 digits?)

Its valves suggested price when you set the dollar price to $24.95. I just always accept the valve conversion for each currency :D