Project Cars 3 - More cars and this time, there are upgrades

https://www.projectcarsgame.com/three/

The big change is the upgrade system. Taking a page from a bunch of other CARPG games, you can now improve your cars with upgrades (cosmetic and performance-enhancing) and not just tweak settings.

Do we know if it has VR support like the previous two iterations? :)

You may need to upgrade your game in order to do that.

That’s a nice trailer. I think that’s the Suzuka circuit at the end of the trailer.

I wonder if they will have super smooth rates on old consoles? I was turned off by horrible frame rates in the original Project Cars on Xbox One.

I read some of the DriveClub developers are working on this. That got me interested.

Not interested. When I play PC2, I just jump in for some hot laps around one of the circuits or maybe a short race. I don’t care about making my car +1 gooder, and I absolutely don’t want to grind content in order to do it.

I don’t think Suzuka was in either of the first two Project Cars.

The driving experience in the first two games has varied between ok and poor depending on the car, so if they’re turning down the sim rating here for something a bit less rigorous and adding a proper career path then I’d be happy with that.

That’s Interlagos. Pic is T1.

Never tried 1, but my understanding is that the physics in 2 is a big improvement over the first title. I was hoping that 3 would continue the trend. It still could, I suppose.

I thought PC1 was ok physics-wise, if you could handle cars sometimes driving upside down. And backwards.

Add in utterly random netcode accidents in multiplayer or AI that were frequently violently incompetent in single player and it was a game with problems, but I still logged ten times as many hours in PCars1 because PCars2 felt like a mess to me from the get go with some cars that I found just utterly undriveable.

It’s possible this was down to the default setups all being “aggressive” but I failed to find a car that felt good to drive right out of the box anywhere in the game.

However, one thing that should be transferred from PCars2 to all other sim games that have a leaderboard is the ability to copy the setup from anyone on the hotlap board. It’s not magic - a faster guy is still going to be faster - but it helped to understand what people were doing to bring the cars to heel a little bit.

Tried to get into both previous releases and just couldn’t. Just something about their driving model that always became frustrating. Might have something to do with hearing they focused on wheels first with controller being sort of an afterthought.

Launching August 28th.

I might be interested, after Martin Robinson’s preview.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-30-project-cars-3-goes-all-out-for-the-forza-motorsport-crowd

But I’ll definitely be waiting for his review. He points out some problems that can completely kill my interest if they’re in the final game.

Project CARS 3 is the gamiest entry by miles, foregoing race weekends and practice sessions—in fact that entire track day atmosphere—and giving you instead a fast car, short races to enter, and three things to do while you’re at it. Yes, this is going to irk the hardcore sim racing fanbase, but Project Cars 3 is a game .

The presentation is uncharacteristically flashy, oddly reminiscent of the likes of Asphalt 9 on iOS, with lots of XP bars and circles filling up and expanding colour bars that transition nicely into menu screens, giving everything a very modern and slick sheen. Instant gratification is the order of the day compared to the previous games’ long-haul approach to pretty much everything. It’s like the hard edges and awkward, clunky bits of the old game’s chassis have all been lopped off and what’s left has been covered with sleek new bodywork.

I really did think I was watching a Forza ad.

I guess I’ll keep my eyes on reviews to see if that’s actually the case. Slightly Mad Studios are weird. I loved Need for Speed Shift, but not for the reasons they would have wanted me to (I loved how easy the game was to break). And the first Project Cars had such abysmal performance on a launch Xbox that I was mad at Microsoft for even allowing it past their quality control.

I wish them luck. Obviously there’s a long history of people chasing popularity and big paydays and then failing to even reach prior success after alienating their core fans. But it’s not like it was a diehard sim anyway. Might as well pick one approach.

Looks like a bunch of Drive Club developers were involved in this new version of Project Cars. I loved that game so much that this immediately got my interest.

According to the Eurogamer review they fixed one of the biggest complaints of the previous games, the handling.

It’s still every bit as funky, in its own way, but the first thing you’ll need to know is that Project Cars 3 properly addresses the inconsistent handling that’s blighted the series from its inception. How it goes about that might not be to everyone’s taste - Project Car 3’s generous cast of automobiles are overstated things with a tendency towards oversteer that can be quickly and easily caught by a handful of opposite lock - but having spent so much time with past games tinkering with deadzones and sensitivity options it’s most certainly to mine. These things are a pleasure to drive rather than a pain.

So yeah I haven’t played the previous project cars games but think I will give this a try in the weekend.

Yeah I’m keen too - the previous game had some of the best VR support around, and this is no different apparently (the EG review mentions it in passing).

Though I may wait to see the launch state, patches, etc.

First SMS removed tyre wear, fuel use and pit stops and now they removed… the steering wheel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjkIhFTNMc0