PSA - Avoid Citrus Based Cleaning Products on Monitors/Electronic Screens

What the actual fuck. 45 years old, owner of countless PC’s and monitors over the years and I have never been told, read a label or otherwise been warned against using citrus based cleaners on monitors.

Son just asked me to clean his screen and I grabbed the first bottle from the cupboard, a generic citrus based cleaner. Five minutes after cleaning the monitor:

Fuck me, instant $500 paperweight. Apparently the citrus can penetrate the screen/film, blah, blah, blah.

How the fuck did I not know this?

Good PSA. There is a lot of advice online for cleaning TV screens and monitors. One of the main reason I use a soft microfibre cloth and a bit of water. Nothing that could damage it.

It’s a good reminder to pay attention to this. Sorry about the broken monitor though.

Yeah. Never use anything other than a microfiber and some water. If you’re paranoid or you have hard or lousy tap water, distilled water. And don’t press too hard. Just keep lightly wiping if there’s some gunk. Pressing too hard can cause white spots to later form, small areas where it looks like the backlight is much brighter than surrounding areas.

Citrus shit will fuck up your glasses’s coatings too

That really sucks, sorry that happened. I guess it’s safe to say you know it now and are unlikely to forget!

You’ll save someone’s monitor in the future by being able to warn them. :)

Thank you for trying the wrong end of rhubarb!

Holy shit!

I had no clue either. I have just been using specific screen wipe cloths, or those cleaning wipes (non citrus) but I never would have even thought to check.

Thanks for the heads up.

I always refuse all coatings on glasses. They don’t improve your vision and invariably wear off in patches that look way worse than reflections.

Drill a few holes in that monitor and the citrus’ll drain right out.

lol45

Today is a good day

I’ve done that too, not get coatings. The smudges are super annoying.
The last pair I got I’ve been trying to be more careful on how I wash them. Plain dishwashing or the cheapest soap - hand soap is not great because they add moisturizers that leave a film

When rinsing them in the sink angle them at 45 then more water just drips off and you don’t need to wipe sometimes

The US hides ingredients in cleaning products but you can MDSD them

Optical cleaners DO have alcohol but they use very little (0%-5%)

See @sharaleo, +1 save already. :)

Is there any kind if spray outside of sterile water that’s good for tvs and monitors?

Axe body spray?

I use water, tap one, but I’d say the good reflex is to use one soft wiping dedicated cloth to take the humidity off, and another specialized one(like the small anti static soft ones you get with glasses, they are of variable quality and i keep the best ones previously near me) to do a pass on the screen until you can’t see the traces of the wiping cloth.

I stopped using anything but water after random unhappy events over the last 30 years.

You guys clean your monitor?

The cloths have to be cleaned often, they absorb oils from your hands and glasses and stop being effective. Toss them in a laundry net or handwash a bit with soap.

I actually asked about cleaning screens recently on QT3. Sorry to see this one now. :(

Moar people commenting here. Also @AWS260 wins best post of 2024 so far.

Pledge makes stuff for electronics. Both spray and wipes.