Qt3 Classic Game Club #41: Titan Quest

I was originally going to select Quest for Glory, this season but someone else chose it. The other game I was thinking about chosing is a bit too similar to the recent selections so I will save it for later.

It has been ten years. I remember being grabbed by this when it first released. It was the first real competitor to Diablo II for me. It looked gorgeous. The skill system was really interesting. The setting felt really fresh. As I child I remember reading a series of books where a grandfather told his grandchildren stories from Greek mythology, so the setting felt both novel and familiar at the same time. The voice acting in the game also speaks for itself.

It was also a great game for multiplayer. Maybe it still is. I’ll report back!

I do remember becoming fatigued by the grindyness for the enchantments, as well as the lack of reliable information on equipment stats. We’ll see what other flaws will drop out as the rose-tint goes out of my glasses. Well, if it does.

With the recent Anniversary Edition the game has already gotten some attention here on QT3. Here is the normal discussion thread for the game: Titan Quest. Hopefully not everyone with any interest in the game are played out already. I’ve been saving the game in anticipation of it being selected in the Classic Game Club by someone else if not me.

Here is where to get it:

Steam:

€5 or so as part of the Steam Autumn sale, €20 normally.

GOG.com: https://www.gog.com/game/titan_quest_anniversary_edition
€19.99 or equivalent. Not part of their Black Friday sale for some reason.

Cool, I will take this for a spin. I have a few characters already.

I don’t know how many times I’ve looked at this in Steam sales and thought “Eeh, maybe later.”

Guess later is now.

Don’t forget there’s a good iOS port of it, too!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/titan-quest/id1035690802?mt=8

Managed to sneak in a little multiplayer inbetween other stuff.

The music is still good, and the game looks ok in 1440p. The new mp-connection seems pretty good, a lot less hassle than gamespy.

First major annoyance is the unresponsive ability activation system. Takes a long time for an ability to fire and it is easy to cancel an activation by moving or attacking. Was a thing I disliked then, and still do.

Selected Nature as my first skill-mastery, jury is still out on the second.

I see what you did there.

I should try out the mp sometime.

Played a bit more multiplayer, slow going.

Missing some of the quality of life improvements ARPGs have gotten since this released. Having to chug potions this often? I remember that was a thing.

The loot is a bit meh. Long time between each time I find anything interesting to equip.

The skill mastery system is still interesting, but it does feel a bit long between each time I get something interesting. I’ve branched out from Nature to Earth as well. As soon as I get the Core Dweller and have all my summons I guess I should start adding points to them. My wolf dies as soon as something looks at it. I went deep into Nature first to get the Nymph and AoE heal, though.