Qt3 Movie Club #28: Carriers (2009)

Good lord, another horror movie that begins with a car full of good-looking kids driving somewhere? Great. What have I gotten myself into?

Hopefully, this is all you know about Carriers, an English-language movie written and directed by Spanish brothers David and Alex Pastor. I implore you to not watch a trailer and to not even read the synopsis. If you’re lucky enough to come into it as blindly as I did, you’re in for a real treat.

It’s out on DVD this week. Go here to drop it in your Netflix queue, or rent it from some local place. Then join us for the spoiler heavy discussion after this post.

-Tom

So here’s how that scene of the good looking kids in the car driving somewhere plays out.

“Twenty questions,” says the guy in the back seat. “Go.”

“Are you a man?” they ask. “Are you in politics?”

“Umm, dead or alive?” one of them asks.

“Don’t you think that’s a really stupid question these days?” says the driver.

Wait, what? Does that mean…? Are they…? Ah, I see. No flashback, no text crawl, no title card. The end of the world, established in four lines of dialogue. That’s good writing.

Of course, it’s not exactly the opening scene. The opening scene is home movie footage that pans to a world literally upside down. That’s good direction. There’s a fair bit of that in what should have been a low budget horror movie resting comfortably on its topical topic, but is instead a fantastic instance of character-driven storytelling. The name Carriers is a provocative title – I’m sure I’m not the only one who confused it with next year’s The Crazies – but it’s apt for a couple of reasons. This is a movie about the infected, not the disease itself. Like all the best monster movies, the monster isn’t the star. He’s just a plot device for good character development.

When Danny explains the plan to hole up at an abandoned Turtle Beach hotel, he says, “We wait until the disease dies off.”

“The disease or the people?” Kate asks.

“It’s the same thing, really,” he says, like he hasn’t given it much thought.

Although it’s mainly a character study, there are glimpses of the bigger picture. The armed gangs. The lynched Asian. The televangelist broadcast. Brian’s story about burying infected at the stadium and the garbage truck full of body bags. Gasoline at $12.57 a gallon. The failure of the medical community, reduced to euthanizing children. The last DJ in Corpus Christi. The beginning of the survivalist rapists (who will eventually cause Charlize Theron to lose hope in The Road). The political commentary and the bigger picture are here, but presented as a set of cinematic footnotes rather than grand themes or set pieces.

Like Zombieland, a similar movie in structure if not tone, these characters have established rules. And like Zombieland, the movie is about what happens when you break the rules. But unlike Zombieland, breaking the rules isn’t a metaphor for embracing life. This is a brutal movie about survival and the rules are no joke. Like 28 Weeks Later, the theme of this story is that compassion will doom us.

There’s even a sense that the disease has killed love. Bobby betrays Brian by hiding her condition. Brian then abandons her, but only after she’s already doomed him. Danny’s ultimate act of love is shooting his own brother after being too cowardly to face his parents’ death. Did he know they were still alive? He’s obviously haunted by his failure to face them. The arc of the movie is Danny being unable to go upstairs and get the gun to Danny using that very same gun to kill his own brother. The movie earns those lingering shots of the photograph of the brothers as children. In M. Night Shyamalan’s ludicrous but occasionally intriguing The Happening, he seems to want to explore the idea of an apocalypse that separates us. An end of the world characterized not by natural disasters or zombies, but by isolation, alienation, a global manifestation of the existential dilemma. Carriers is the movie that The Happening could have been.

After Bobby helps the little girl and gets infected, there’s a scene where she and Brian have a conversation (Is this when she infects him? Or is it later?), shot with one of them as a reflection and the other out of focus. It’s a bit gratuitous, but I have to admire the directors for trying. This isn’t just some dumb horror movie, played for thrills. It’s character development. Pretty smart stuff for what should have been a low budget horror film.

And do you remember the weird scene in 28 Days Later when they drive past the Van Gogh flowers? That’s managed much better here in the shootout on the road with the armed Christians. The road is flanked by huge yellow flowers, like something from a painting. It’s lovely.

Bad actors could have killed this story, so the Pastor brothers deserve credit for excellent casting. Chris Pine is 90% braggadocio, which works fine, I guess. I still kept thinking, “Hey, it’s Captain Kirk”. But he and Piper Perabo have great chemistry, which really makes their separation scene so effective. They earn it, and that roadside scene is more brutal and heartfelt than anything in John Hillcoat’s The Road adaptation. And as the movie progresses, you realize this annoying brash guy isn’t the main character. Instead, Danny has to carry the movie. Lou Taylor Pucci is a good actor who’s been given some rough material in the past. As Dennis Quaid’s son in The Horsemen, a clunky Seven knock-off, he had to do some pretty extreme and silly scenes. He got by mostly on his looks in The Informers, a clunky Bret Easton Ellis adaptation. But here he finally has some good material. He even managed to pull of the voiceover at the end of the movie: “It’s a beautiful day, and it shouldn’t be a beautiful day” actually works. Mostly.

A lot of end-of-the-world movies are about wish fulfillment. Getting to run amok in a mall, loading up on firearms, being able to call a hot chick on her bluff if she says she wouldn’t have you if you were the last man on earth, and so forth. At times, Carriers is no exception. Ha ha, Kate was a golfer. Whee, Brian’s jackass golf cart stunt. Drinking beer and speeding and spray painting your car! Is it funny or pathetic that they’re toting surf boards?

But unlike other end-of-the-world movies, the characters don’t carry shotguns and chainsaws. The tools of survival here are rubber gloves and bleach, sponges and face masks, mops, plastic sheeting, duct tape. The rules and the procedures are not glamorous. We don’t watch them and secretly admire how much fun they’re having headshotting zombies or hunting deer in downtown Manhattan from a speeding Mustang. Even the little doodles each character has drawn on his face mask seems like something from an earlier time, before scrubbing upholstery became such a rote task.

And look where it ends up. Danny is basically alone, separated from the one he truly loves, left with a girl in whom he has little interest (and who seems to return the favor). The cooler at the beach that used to have soft-shelled crabs is overrun with beetles. It’s all rotted, diseased, dead. The home movie – his memory – plays in his head and then fades to white.

And not since The Pixies’ “Where Is My Mind” at the end of Fight Club have I been so transfixed by a song that plays during the credits. I love Nina Nastasia and her haunting ballad, “Ugly Face”, kept me riveted after the movie had ended.

Ugly face
Don’t ever make it again
It’s making me limp
In a wider space
I never noticed
The sharp turns that it takes

Careless mouth
Doesn’t deserve all the rhymes
That come tumbling out
It should starve itself

But are there any aircraft carriers involved? When I read the title, the first thing I thought of was Top Gun.

Yeah, if you’re not careful, you can end up with this in your Netflix queue. In which case, you might as well go watch Kirk Douglas drive the USS Nimitz into history in The Final Countdown. Of course, I presume everyone did that yesterday anyway, right? To celebrate Pearl Harbor day?

-Tom

First of all, am I allowed to read that wall of text post before seeing the film*?

Second of all, does this have Paul Walker, Australian Actor in it? Because if it doesn’t, I’m not sure I want to see it.

-xtien

*I’ve bumped it to the top of my queue. Which puts it right below Up. Which Netflix keeps refusing to send to me because there’s a “Short Wait”. So I’ve got another nature documentary and a “lesser Michael Mann” headed my way instead. Really Netflix? You couldn’t foresee the demand for Up? Either get more G-D copies or make the thing available for Instant View. Honestly.

I love horror, but I don’t think this movie is out for the rest of the world. WHY DO YOU HATE US MR CHICK?

Spoilers, duh.

I liked it. I unfortunately can’t add anything as insightful, so post count++.

You say this is too smart for a low budget horror movie, but from some of your other recommendations, it seems like these are the films where horror movies get to be smart. It’s all those other ones whose higher budgets make them dumb. =P

Edit: Nvm, that was shell beach. : /

Sigh, another Tom Chick movie I won’t get to see until one month later when it either opens up, or the Amazon delivery decides to show up after Christmas season.

You guys need to move to America. Duh.

-Tom

Will you marry me so I can get my green card?

I don’t think any of this is really material I haven’t seen before in one apocalypse movie or another (hey, I like 'em, and I’ve seen quite a few), but it’s handled quite well.

Funny, I didn’t even see this thread and had grabbed the movie a few days ago. I agree that the underlying message was that compassion = death, and it’s interesting that the koolaid scene spells that out in a slightly different way.

This was definitely one of those movies I expected to be B trash, and was pleasantly surprised by it. It’s great to see an apocalypse movie that doesn’t beat you over the head with everything they want you to understand.

Surprising depth, and well-acted.

I really liked the alternating reflection/out-of-focus shot; about as opposite of subtle as you could get, but then again it didn’t need to be. Plus, that was of a piece with bookending with happier past-and-gone beach shots, the opening fade into upside-down, etc, so it didn’t stick out like it would have otherwise. For similar reasons, I completely forgave the ending voiceover hammering home a theme, which is something that usually drives me up the wall.

Did a good job staying with the theme of the title, too. That which the characters carry will destroy them. The disease, of course. Brian’s carrying Danny, figuratively-wise, through the film. The last shot of the father carrying his doomed little girl away; everyone knowing exactly what’s going to happen when he’s out of sight and no one saying it, carrying their silence. And of course finally Danny carrying the knowledge of being totally alone.

I wouldn’t say that was the message. It was the source of conflict. If you don’t have any conflict, you don’t have a story. Here, the conflict was between the things that the characters wanted to be true–that they weren’t sick, that the ones they loved weren’t sick, that there was some cure for the disease, that they could stay with the infected and not catch the sickness–and the things that were true, which were pretty much the opposite of all that.

Remember the scene at the beginning of 28 Days Later just after Jim meets Selena and Mark, where Mark gets bitten by one of the infected and a second later Selena hacks him to bits with a machete? In 28 Days Later, that was played for shock value. But Carriers takes place in that second between infection and action, stretching out that moment and using it to explore what it means to be human. It’s hard to cut off the things and the people you love, and the movie’s focus on that tension is what keeps it from being just a zombie movie without zombies.

Open questions:
Can Chris Pine play any character who’s not a reckless asshole?
Why wasn’t Danny interested in Kate? Was the character supposed to be gay?

Very nice.

Also very nice!

Can Chris Pine play any character who’s not a reckless asshole?

I’m guessing no, but I only know him from this, Captain Kirk, and his homicidal Affleck-killing skinhead Smoking Aces.

Why wasn’t Danny interested in Kate? Was the character supposed to be gay?

Ah, good question. My first instinct is to say, well, duh, that explains it. Plus, a good looking guy like that has to be totally gay!

But I doubt that’s the case, mainly because I think that’s a significant enough detail that it would have come up. Instead, it seems like they just weren’t interested in each other. I loved that detail, because except for the parts of a buddy cop movie or romantic comedy before the characters learn to love each other, you don’t see that dynamic in movies. Two people thrown together will accept and love each other because the script says so.

But in Carriers, they were both too preoccupied to have that magically convenient movie script connection with one another.

-Tom

So it looks like there’s a real Turtle Beach. I can’t remember, is that (the actual place they are headed) or is it a reference to Shell Beach in Dark City… or is Shell Beach a reference to the real Turtle Beach? Heh.

Anyway, great comments all. I have nothing really to add other than I liked it.

But it’s the apocalypse! If 9/11 and zombie movies have taught me anything, it’s that an apocalypse means everybody gets laid.

“She’s not my girlfriend.”

“Then why is she here?”

I did as instructed. Rented the movie without reading anything.

Guess I don’t understand the excitement. A solid 2.5 stars movie mostly because I love the genre. I agree excellent title, and fine opening that hooked me, but honestly I knew Danny was going to kill or abandon Bobbie with the first 30 minutes. I guess my only surprise that Danny and Kate didn’t hook up. My god I think even if he was gay and she was lesbian they’d hook at some point.

I think Boy and his Dog had better character development, rent that instead.

For what it’s worth, my reading of the Danny / Kate situation is that he was interested (at least to begin with), she was not. But then she was the mover on eliminating both other members of their little group and I suspect Danny wasn’t too into that.