Qt3 Movie Podcast: 3x3: favorite repeated lines

No Retreat, No Surrender! Christine! Cam! After we talk about seeing those movies, we discuss our favorite repeated lines in movies.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/11/27/qt3-movie-podcast-3x3-favorite-repeated-lines/

“Is it safe?”
“Open the pod bay doors, HAL.”
“No, thank you.”

I have a congenital allergy to podcasts, unfortunately, so I don’t know how much repetition is required or if this one is mentioned, but it’s been one of my faves for I guess about 18 years now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVFgI_F4R7Y

“I want my two dollars!”

“No horseshit.”

In no particular order

Grosse Point Blank

Blues Brothers

Clerks

That’s a good one! How about also:

“It’s not me.”

"you’re a handsome devil. What’s your name? "

It’s kind of a treasure trove for repetition

“You’re the Duke of New York! A number one!”

“Maximum effort.”

“I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

Does it have to be in the same movie?

Sorry to be the Lebowski guy again, but all of The Big Lebowski. One of my favourite things about the movie is how people, especially the Dude, pick up on other people’s turns of phrase and repeat them. “The rug really tied the room together”. “This aggression will not stand”. “In the parlance of our times”.“Her life was in your/our hands.” And so on.

3 from the same movie:
“My name is Inigo Montoya…”
“Inconceivable!”
“As you wish.”

My favourite little miscellaneous thingy in the “One Ping Only” scene is the way Connery kind of pushes himself away from the periscope and smacks the handles up in shock.

отлично!

I showed this movie to my kid for the first time and he liked the moment where he catches the tea cup as it slides across the table during the speed-up recalculation sequence in Red Route One.

-xtien

“Stop pissing, Yuri. Give me a stopwatch and a map, and I’ll fly the Alps in a plane with no windows.”

What the fuck. (Risky Business)
Shut the fuck up, Donnie. (The Big Lebowski)
I just want to say, good luck, we’re all counting on you. (Airplane)

You just made my morning. One of my favorite line delivery/reaction moments ever.

-xtien

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.”

It’s such an iconic line. We often say that to each other at work right after a big outage gets restored. A form of comic relief during a stressful time.

Ok, having finished listening to the podcast, my official picks were Real Genius (“It’s a moral imperative!”), Hudsucker Proxy (“You know, for kids!”), and Memento (“You see, I’ve got this condition”).

But I had a ton of runner ups:

“It’s all in the reflexes” – Big Trouble in Little China. He says this three times during the movie, once during his opening monologue, once when his buddy tries to cut a bottle in half and almost brains him, and once, of course, at the end. Nobody on the podcast mentioned this, so -1 podcast point.

“I am Groot”. C’mon, folks, I don’t know talkin’ good like you, and my vocabulistics is limited, but NOBODY mentioned this? -1 listener points.

“I heard you were dead Snake!” - Escape from New York. Again, how did nobody mention this.

“I’m not even supposed to be here today!” - Clerks. Someone did refer to this sidewise in their email, and someone posted a clip above, so no points deducted.

“I got you babe” - Groundhog Day. Maybe too obvious? Anyway, a listener did pick Edge of Tomorrow (and mentioned “Groundhog Day powers”), so close enough.

“If you ditch work this afternoon, and promise to do the few small things I ask you; I will in return show you the most important thing that any living organism has ever witnessed.” - Primer. I forgive everyone for not mentioning this.

Best topic evar.