Qt3 Movie Podcast: Rogue One

I think this hyperspace accident may be handwaved as not precise and not stable. I.e. maybe it doesn’t blow the planet, maybe it blows some other planet, maybe it blows you.

This probably isn’t canon any more…

Planets, stars and other huge objects have gravity wells that pull you out of hyperdrive. The X-Wing games/EU feature “Interdictor” star destroyers that have big globular gravity projectors on them that are used to stop ships escaping to hyperspace or ambush them by pulling them out of hyperspace, or in Admiral Thrawns case, he uses them to drop a couple of star destroyers into an exact position in the middle of a battle.

You have to plot a course in hyperspace to steer around gravity wells, either one of the movies or the EU mentions having to plot a correct course or they’ll end up in a star.

It’s kind of canon again. Rebels had a whole episode centered around sabotaging a prototype Imperial ship that could “interdict” ships in hyperspace travel using gravity wells.

Yeah, in the first movie Han talks about plotting a way through hyperspace so that they don’t bounce too close to a supernova or something like that because that would end this trip pretty quick, wouldn’t it kid?

I suepected that the Rebel ships in R1 were interdicted from their hyperspace jumps at the end of the battle. Interesting that interdictors are canon.

Just saw this last night and the Tarkin thing really freaked me out. Pass. Couldn’t they just have got Charles Dance to do it? That could have been cool. Also while they’re at it just not make this movie kthx.

“The entire star fleet couldn’t destroy the whole planet. It’d take a thousand ships with more firepower than I’ve—” ~Han Solo

I haven’t listened to the podcast yet. I’m getting ready to listen tonight.

I watched the movie yesterday with really low expectations, since Tom hasn’t been shy about going into other threads about it not being very good. So I was quite surprised by it. I’m definitely not a Star Wars fan, the only one I would rate at 4 stars would Empire Strikes Back. But this one was quite nice. It joins Episodes 1, 4, 6 and 7 in my book as 3 star movies in the SW universe.

[details=Spoilers]One touch I really enjoyed was the mental state of the Rebel spies. When we see our anti-hero rebel spy kill his informant at the start, it sets up his mindset beautifully. So it’s really meaningful when he says he believes the girl and disobeys orders and doesn’t shoot her father. And then explains himself along with his fellow Rebel spies about how they do questionable things because they believe in a cause. And this time they believe her and want to help her.

Oh, and that has to be the best space battle in a Star Wars movie by far. Using the corvette to push the ion-cannon disabled-star-destroyer into the other star destroyer and the shield? Hell yes. That was beautiful. Oh my god, I wish I could play another X-wing game. [/details]

You are in for a treat with Kelly’s opsis.

Opsis was awesome.

And now I’m on the part where Tom is letting loose. Wow, I’ve never heard Tom this animated on the podcast before, this passionate about a movie before.