Qt3 Movie Podcast: Transformers: The Last Knight

I like to think of it more as an executive order.

But really? John “Transformers: The Last Knight” Turturro hears John Goodman laughing? I’m going to trust but verify on this one.

-Tom

I’ve heard Jeff Goldblum’s laugh was mentioned in 3x3:

Also What is Bayhem? by Every Frame a Painting was there somewhere:

Thank you for reminding me of that, kentwou. Kind of brightened my day.

My favorite version of this is the one @arrendek posted in the 3x3 thread. The 10-Hour version. It’s one of those things that just makes me love the Internet.

-xtien

There is the 3x3 thread? Man, these forums are a bit convoluted. I thought I was writing a reply to the topic, but replied to Tom’s post instead.

We always post a separate thread for the 3x3 topic for a couple of reasons. One is for searching reasons, but mainly it’s because we have a lot of listeners who skip to the 3x3 without listening to us discuss the movie. Usually this is because they haven’t seen that week’s movie yet, and wish to wait, but sometimes because they’d just rather not.

So a separate 3x3 thread helps those folks avoid spoilers in the main podcast thread.

@marquac created this thread that is hugely valuable in avoiding the convolutedness.

-xtien

This weekend I ended up watching Transformers: The Last Knight anyway.

I actually kind of enjoyed it for the following reasons:

• Classic Michael Bay is back, and by that I mean
  • There is no continuity, necessarily between scenes, they are more like dots in an impressionistic painting
  • For example, Carmichael is raving and ranting while standing up next to a wall in one scene, cut to a drone robot destroying the wall, cut to Carmichael cowering in the corner away from that same wall. Marky Mark and the leading lady are falling down a slope, a huge piece of debris is about to hit them from behind, cut to a different angle where they are falling down said slope, and there’s no more debris coming towards them, they must have dodged it somehow off camera. This sort of thing happens over and over and over, and teaches you not to sweat the details in a Michael Bay movie, since he doesn’t sweat the details or worry about continuity in action scenes, so why should you?
  • The presence of Sir Anthony Hopkins is treated with the respect he deserves. After he gets Marky Mark and the Witwicky heir together, he goes to Stonehenge by himself where Michael Bay gives him a classic hero shot, as we see Hopkins be all badass in slow motion as he’s walking with his umbrella. A couple of scenes later, Megatron happens to see him, so he kills him. Anthony Hopkins gets to solve no puzzles or help humanity in any way. He just an old man who gets spotted and killed.
  • I love the way Michael Bay does scene transitions in this movie. He doesn’t have the budget to show how a submarine can jump off it’s display at the British Royal Navy museum, so he shows the sub → cut to one marine telling another in front of a radar “the submarine jumped its moorings”, other marine says “It was a transformer” → cut to submarine going under London bridge, 2 second scene → cut to submarine in front of the Cliffs of Dover 2 second scene → cut to submarine in open waters.
  • I love the height challenged horribly done CG character/butler. You can’t tell how tall he is because he’s so poorly scaled in some scenes, and poorly lit. Again, I love it because it’s a Michael Bay movie, and his lack of caring about attention to detail is just daring and devil may care. He knows the audience is not going to care either in a 2+ hour long movie about a bit character and how bad they look.
  • I love how in this one when there’s something confusing going on (which is a lot, since it’s a Michael Bay movie), he has Mark Wahlberg shout what just happened to the main actress, for the benefit of the audience. I just love envisioning how this must have happened. “Oh shit, we have bad and confusing CGI for this scene and this scene, let’s get Marky Mark back in the studio and we’ll have him tell the audience what’s happening”.

So anyway, yeah, if anyone was worried after Age of Extinction that Michael Bay was going to make competent action movies now, be not afraid my friends. Classic Bay is back!

Was Age of Extinction a competent action movie? I stepped through the flick on Netflix and it seemed like the last hour was a giant hovering vacuum cleaner trying to hoover up the dinobots as they ran around a city… and the scene never seemed to end. I just figured the movies were purely for a Chinese audience now, and Bay was trying to get away with as little story or dialogue as possible to open the international market as wide as possible. I’m surprised the Last Knight wasn’t a silent movie, or you know, wordless, and made to look like a 90 minute ride.

I think so. I think my fellow podcast hosts agree. At least one of them. It’s certainly the only Transformers movie that I’ve found palatable.

You say that like it’s not a totally awesome thing.

-Tom

“Oh My God!!!” /Tucci

I thought so. From upthread:

Oh, I did like the Shia LaBeouf cameo in this movie. It was a blink and you miss it moment. He was at the bottom of the long lineage of the Witwicky family tree, where they show Shia with wild frazzled hair.