Qt3 QTtheHIll Dominions Disciples game thread

Oh you break my heart. What of the kind words we shared when negotiating the sale of land to the north of Machaka? How I concluded the negotiations with a mere “take it.” How much more generous can one get? Of course, it was your own greed that resulted in such negotiations happening as you sought sniped the remains of Machaka’s lands and put me in such a position where it ended up being a province of no use to me. Further, I thought I was fair and reasonable when I stipulated the lands I had taken that you sought to take were not available for your own use. Sure, it would make for some tidy borders along the river for any land dwelling nation, but we of Caelum are not strictly land dwelling, and such borders are of no great consequence to us.

In saying this, it is not “your collective, greedy souls” but rather “our collective greedy souls.” We are all greedy, no doubting that. And curses, you really have to stop putting up globals. I wanted to retreat my Naiad warriors out of the sea, and now they remain trapped. So far, in the whole single battle I’ve used them, I am impressed as in short order they tore through the PD. And that leads to one thing about this game that I’m liking, which is being able to use summoned troops that I probably ordinarily wouldn’t use. The Kydnids are one such example. They fit nicely into my nation of benevolence! Awesome Eagle Kings with awesome Naiad warriors.

Alright, this game is causing me to have serious concerns about my memory, or about the amount of beer I drink.

When last we left, only a mere 24 hours ago, there were 3 globals: Mother Oak, Fata Morgana, and Eyes of God, the last two cast by TNN.

I got a message, as I am sure everyone did, saying a new global has been cast by Trab pu K’cip (pyrhic has excellent taste in American cartoons, btw), which I have to assume is not her, since she starts out with F4W4E4S4. (assuming the TNN rainbow pretender).

So the new global list is Mother Oak, Sea of Ice, and Gift of Health, the last two cast by TNN.

Either someone is zealous with the dispels, or some overwriting of slots happened, or some casters met deadly fates, or more likely, I am mistaken due to my love of dark IPAs.

Can someone please educate this poor monkey with what happened?

I’d blame the IPAs.

By my recollection, the first eyes was cancelled with the fire spell, and the second was dispelled last turn. The turn before that someone took out Fata, which i assumed was someone from the consortium to aid the assault. Gift of Ice went up last turn cause…I’ve kinda wanted to see whether i could walk on the ice. Kinda disappointed there…but i guess i can understand why…Oh, and gift of health went up with the second eyes…again, iirc…

Cael…I’d counter that your success against machaka meant I had to do something - a throne was in play and I wanted a path to it. I was happy to leave machaka with its space in peace, but once its fall was inevitable i felt I had to make a move. On the holdout territory - i was happy to negotiate further for it, and you were the one that said take it. We could have negotiated anything, including territory swap - so i’m not sure why you’d be bitter about a territory you surrendered. I also noted, and appreciate, the extra gems you sent when the first job was done and i was left holding the bag.

My apologies, I can see how you misinterpret my comment about offering the land as being more bitter than Akaoni’s IPAs. I didn’t really think of much you could offer admittedly, and honestly, it was only one province. There was/is no bitterness there, just a friendly gesture for a neighbour at the time, the same as the extra gems for a common cause at an earlier point. It is really only now that the friendly neighbour gestures fall away as we become bitter rivals. It makes me seem like a typical AI opponent in any sort of 4X ever, friendly one minute then hunting for more nesting grounds the next. Just the nature of the game and the prospect of there being only one winner.

If it helps, Sea of Ice did trap a contingent of my army underwater. But no fear, they are happy sitting there, doing nothing!

I’m not sure why we’re suddenly bitter rivals…At this point, you’re just as close to victory as i am. Actually, technically closer since one of your capitals isnt currently vulnerable with no walls and an army about to smash into it…but i digress, i suppose.

Because I’m Caelum. You see how easily that Zeus titan managed to smash my armies when I attempted 3 times to take the throne. Rain of Stones is murder to many, but especially to fragile flappy birds. What I don’t want to see is TNN stealthed thugs go running through my lands. I’ve been on the receiving end of that before, and if you are allowed to grow even more, then I foresee bad things for Caelum.

Ouch. I should have brought more mages, and less communion slaves. Still, I did get to see a King, a Queen, and a Pretender under two Domes, duking it out with fogged warriors on both sides.

Of all the game variants we’ve done lately, this is so far my favourite.

It does possibly make some nations unviable (eg: Abysia) and reduces the edge that blood nations get (eg: Abysia… again) but overall, lots of fun. I’m noticing as Caelum that air gems aren’t really important to me right now, with other gems, I have no shortage of options.

I have to agree. Botbaddict building a strategy around blessed sacreds that have to be summoned on the battlefield gave me problems to no end; the solution was not with gold but with gems.

And focusing on a gem based economy early means playing with lower level summons earlier, simply because you need them to supplement your scant normal troops.

Still, I can see that my earlier war with Botbaddict hurt me. I simply do not have the gem stockpile that pyrhic does. Hopefully summoning and kitting out the King of Banefires, Thuella, and his pretender, as well as gating and teleporting in a bunch of other mages and troops burned that pile a bit.

Well, here goes nothing!

Holy shit…i need a shower, a smoke, a few beer and a day off after that turn.

Not without its costs…

but wow…

So much elemental royalty.

Also, pyrhic, even with much of the world against you, you’re putting up a solid fight. Hats off etc.

Yeah, 2 Air queens, a King of Banefires, and hero with the Gate Stone bringing in 200 trolls has really ruined Kailasa. Maybe giant eagles aren’t all they cracked up to be.

sorry to do this ‘sans lappy’ thing again, but will away from June 29 - July 12.

sigh.

I’d really rather be going to bed early in me flannelettes…

apologies etc

Friends Against Raging Tir, I’ve reached a point where I’m almost afraid to open my email and see the next turn has hosted. The Eagle Kings are feeling like wingless chickens right now!

Well, for once I was not losing hundreds of troops this turn. Someone else must be feeling the wrath of the LongHand with the Gate Stone.

I figure we can get one more turn in before Evil Steve goes to his evil lair.
During the week break, I propose we each write down something about this game, simply to keep the thread alive. However, I think we should have some fun with it as well. As in, blatant lies and such are encouraged!
Any takers?

Page 3 of the main boards.

Sad times for Caelum. I had two wicked plans in my head last night, both of which I set out to do today before realising it wasn’t possible. Curses! Also, RIP Arejavan. Killing bugs is one thing, but killing a Wraith Lord is another thing entirely. Turns out in real battle, fear got to him too quick and he died retreating. Actually a bit silly considering he flew away. But alas, turns out Caelum still has to follow the rules and fly away to an adjacent province. I had Arejavan set to move back to friendly lands, but I can only imagine pyrhic had the Wraith Lord stealthed in the same province in order to catch him?

Um…nope.

We have some pretty…extensive…resources at our disposal. And lets just say that Eagle Kings rank up there with the things that capture our attention.

Actually, Arejavan was quite the hero - 662 kills? That’s pretty impressive…

I assume this turn will be the last to host before the break right?

The break actually works out well for me - it means I won’t have to stress 2-3 hour turns while i’m in vegas with my wife