Quake Enhanced from Machine Games and Nightdive

Not that I’ve seen.

Oh! Another change, which may prove controversial - Nightmare mode is now changed so you can only get 50HP max.

Was Nightmare mode in Quake the same as the original Doom 2? Where any enemies killed would come back to life after a bit? I really hated that. That’s why I stayed away from Nightmare.

No, Nightmare in Quake just made enemies harder by changing up their behavior and attacks and put a delay between stuns the player inflicts on the monsters so they can’t “stun lock” them as easily.

Hardcore players/speedrunners debate whether Nightmare or Hard is actually the hardest way to play because the Ogres (the chainsaw and grenade dudes) fire waaay more grenades in Nightmare mode making them kind of easy to exploit by turning them on other monsters and because they prefer to stay ranged. Same with Death Knights and other baddies that shoot projectiles.

Note that Zombies always resurrect (even in Easy mode) unless you gib them.

Hahahaha! The Quake 64 addon includes a scanline/CRT filter.

What’s the “Quake 64” addon?

It’s an official addon included with this enhanced edition that basically recreates the version of Quake released on the Nintendo 64 by Midway. It had colored lighting, music by someone other than Trent Reznor (which some people prefer) and the levels were slightly different due to memory/control issues. Also, some whole levels from Quake were entirely dropped in Quake 64 for the same issues.

So it comes back to rose-tinted glasses, we remember games looking better than they did. Although in this case the updated models still look blocky and awful, just substantially less so.

How do I access it?

Select add-ons in the main menu.

Select the add-on and download, then activate it.

Thanks, I was looking for it in Steam’s UI.

Well, I guess if someone can make a buck updating something from the olden days, more power to them. But seems to me Quake as a single-player game is about as old and busted as it gets. I’ve been messing around with this ever since it’s release, and it’s better than Quake ever was:

And this with its rogue-like structrure:

Or even just this:

I don’t like that other people like this thing I don’t like. Therefore, it shouldn’t be there. Waaah!

-Tom

Shouldn’t?

The mouse feels really laggy for me, even after turning off vsync. I fired up my seperate Arcane Dimensions installation and that runs great. There might be a setting I’m missing.

The best thing about this enhanced edition (on PC Steam anyway) is that it didn’t mess with the old version. The old vanilla dosbox build is still there. If you want to use your own source port like QuakeSpasm or whatever you can do that.

The worst is when one of these revamped games overwrites the old version completely. I’m looking at you WarCraft 3 Reforged.

I posted this over on the compleat retro shooter thread so I’ll just repeat it here:

It took me 25 years to finally return to Quake and I do it just before a (free) remaster gets released. I finished it maybe a month ago and only uninstalled it last week!

They’re definitely not, but they’re close enough to the originals that folk who haven’t played it in ages might think they’re the same. My friends had the same reaction, and because I’d only completed it about a month ago I pointed out that they’d refreshed the enemies and weapon models. I think they’re very tastefully done. The lighting looks a marked improvement too (with dynamic shadows) and, judging by the Cthon boss clip, perhaps they’ve rejigged some of the levels or is that the new content? The soundtrack is also bundled with the game now, which is absolutely essential to the experience IMO.

Either way, I bought it for a few pence in the summer sale so this is all gravy. QuakeSpasm Quake at 120fps at 1080p (or higher) with aa and software rendered textures, was pretty damn glorious I’ll say that.

That is one thing that bothered me with QuakeSpasm–you have to use the keyboard like a caveman to navigate the menus!

See, that looks really cool to me.

@krayzkrok cheers, I’ll check out that DF Retro video. When I first fired up the Steam version of Quake I was horrified at the texture filtering. Not sure whether that was GLQuake but I closed it and sought one of the modern engines which was so much better.

I tried it out last night, so I thought I’d post my impressions so far.

First of all, I had to look up a youtube video on how to start the game on Nightmare difficulty, since the opening room that lets you choose only has Easy, Medium and Hard. Answer: You have to go through that first gate on any of the three, then try to get into Episode IV’s hallway and fall through the water onto a wooden board, which lets you go through the Nightmare difficulty door. That was really tough! I had to save before going through the water because I kept missing the wooden plank thing underneath the water.

Anyway, so I started the game on Nightmare. I’ll have to fiddle around with the gamepad settings at some point, because unlike Quake 2 with the gamepad and Doom with a gamepad, this game doesn’t feel great with a gamepad. I think they made the controls too insensitive by default, at least vertically, so it takes forever (in control terms) to aim upward and downward.

So anyway, I switched to mouse and keyboard. Holy hell Nightmare difficulty is tough. Even the dogs don’t go down in one full shotgun blast. That’s just wrong. And the enemy marines take about 3 shots each to kill. It makes the shotgun feel really really weak and unsatisfying as a result. Not sure I’ll dig this difficulty.

Also, that pacifist achievement for finishing the first level on Nightmare? That’s got to be almost impossible right? The enemy does so much damage to you from so far away, and your maximum health is 50. Even after I got the super health thing, it drains from 100 to 50 fairly fast even without enemies shooting at you.

I like the graphics a lot. It does look and feel better than the sourceports I tried. It still has that Quake look while simultaneously just looking a lot better. It ends up looking a lot better than a lot of these but ugly retroshooters.

And the gameplay is a lot more fun than something like Amid Evil. (Caveat: I played Amid Evil on Normal difficulty, so maybe I should give it another shot on Hard).

One thing I’d love to be able to do is go back and play VQuake. I always thought it looked a lot better than GLQuake but unfortunately the 3DFX cards were just that much more powerful than the Rendition stuff that most everyone went down that path.

I don’t have my V1000 anymore (I don’t think…) so I can’t pull out an old PC and try to boot it up.

I like how you earnestly come to give us this, literally, 25 year old information about Quake!
It worked the same in 1996 :P

I figure there has to be at least one other person like me who never heard of a hidden difficulty level and how to get to it. I was surprised at how hard it was to find a description of it on the internet. I finally had to resort to watching a youtube video. (Yuck).