Quakebells - a Qt3 Dwarf Fortress AAR

Ok here it is.

One word of caution, I lost the anvil. (It’s kind of a long story)

Let me know if this works or not. I had some trouble with mediafire.

edit: bad link removed, new link added in later post.

Compress it as a .zip or .rar file and then upload it.

ah gotcha. I’ll give that a go.

Try this one, it’s a .rar file.

We’ve got all day.

• Alan

Indeed, now I’m interested! What happened during your reign?

From the journal of Icehole:

2nd Granite, 103
This morning I was awakened to commotion in the compound. Our small community was in turmoil. It seems our leadership has lost it’s will to govern. After much debate I was forced to take control of our fortress. Why, you may ask? It seems without a proper mill stone, a miller like myself was the least usefull. What do I know about running a fortress, especially one as backwards as Quakebells. I mean who ever heard of stout dwarves living, let alone sleeping, above ground! Preposterous!

I came here thinking I could make a nice life for myself milling flour and living the simple life. Bah!

9th Granite, 103

It has taken me a few days to take stock of our situation, first order of buisness is getting a trade depot started, the elves should be here soon. And though I despise those fruity bastards, we could use some supplies.

Our magma smelter has no power. The level of magma below seems to be stuck around 3. 4 is needed for power I believe. The lava moat continues to slowly fill. Hopefully we can begin forging metal items soon. A load of copper crossbows will be of great value to mountainhome.

10th Granite

The trade depot is complete and none too soon as the elves arrived even this morning. Our finnished goods are too far from the depot and the dwarfpower needed to move them is too much. I will move the depot closer to our manufacturing. On a side note,
despite the mistakes the previous leadership has made, our workshops are nicely designed. I will continue to expand our manufacturing tower. Traded the elves some stone cups for ropes and berry seeds. After first round of trading, I ordered the depot torn down and replaced a few feet away, the location was in the way of some of my designs. I’ll be damned if the elves weren’t too stupid to pick up their goods. Stupid pointy eared bastards! All of the elven carravan’s goods are now ours for the price of a few sandstone cups. I can’t stand drinking from sandstone cups anyway.

17th Granite

This compound is fucking over run by animals. Cats and Dogs everywhere. Someone even tamed some giant roaches. Fucking disgusting if you ask me. I have placed some cages about the compound to corral some of the beasts. All puppys and kittens have been caged in the barracks. Hopefullly they will give some consolation to the dwarves forced to sleep above ground.

Many of our citizens are thirsty. I will make building a well a priority.

24th Granite, 103

Fucking Kobald theives. We have no military!

2nd Slate, 103

Who the fuck ordered copper nuggets stored in the dining room?

4th Slate, 103

We need beds! I just know some fucking immigrants are coming. We must start planning for housing. The barracks are too small and noisy.
Discovered the large storage area above the smelter is a cluster fuck. Changed the orders to make it more useable.

15th Slate, 103

I have taken over trading and bookeeping duties from Tom Chick our miner. Mining is too time consuming.

19th Slate, 103

Immigrants! A huge wave of them! Where are we going to house these needy bastards?
The are standing at the edge of our teritory looking like idiots!

20th Slate, 103

The immigrants continued to stand like gapeing morons untill I discovered the no one has assigned the dinning room as a meeting hall! We must build a long house.

21st Slate, 103

We welcomed our new arrivals by quickly putting them to work stacking stone. I’m not so sure about these dwarves.

An accounting of new arrivals:
flatsinki-clothier
Shang-Bonecarver
Hawkeye Fierce-Peasant
Angry Coder-Engraver
Unicorn Mcgriddle-Blacksmith
Glendal-peasant
JM-stonecrafter
Soondifferent-peasant
Aeon221-miner
HRose-cook
JohnManyJars-Potash maker
PG-jewler
Ironxides-peasant
JohnDanger-fisherdwarf
Jpinnard-peasant
Rollory-woodcutter
Lesslucid-Carpenter
Euri-jewler
Alex handy-Tanner
Zengonzo-woodcrafter
Tiohn-child
Sepiche-child

All in all this brings our population to 33! We are growing. Now to find jobs for these new citizens. Stone and wood hauling will be a priority.

One side note. I don’t like the look in the eyes of the Jewler called Euri. I have taken to calling him “Sacrificial Lamb” He doesn’t know what that means. I think he’ll be in for a surprise come winter.

4th Flesite, 103

We must have a millitary! Our food and drink stocks are sufficient for now, but HRose has been put to work cooking simple meals. Raw plump helmets, though filling, leave somthing to be desired.

Our lava moat has come in contact with the water in the north east corner of the compound. It has created obsidian walls. The moat is slow to fill, and our smelter still has no power. With the moat still not full we are vulnerable. A way must be found to get rid of the water.

10th Felsite, 103

Shang has been taken by a fey mood! Fucking slacker! He has claimed a craftsdwarfs workshop and refuses to let anyone near. He keeps mumbling about rough gems and shells.

11th felsite, 103

We have struck a vein of native copper in the sandstone mine below the manufacturing tower! There are some rough gems there. Shang nearly knocked over TomChick trying to get the gems.

13th Felsite, 103

I have forbidden all foods save Turtle, in hopes of providing shells for Shang. We need to get that bastard back to work. HRose seems well liked by cats as she now has several of the sneaky bastards around her feet all day in the kitchens.

14th Felsite, 103

I have ordered the construction of kennels, perhaps we can put some of these fucking animals to work

15th Felsite, 103

Alex Handy has been put in charge of animal training

16th Felsite, 103

Shang has his shell and has begun a mysterious construction. All foods again accessable.

17th Felsite, 103

Snatcher! Fucking Goblins!

21st Felsite, 103

Shang has created our first artifact! “Adagtumam soak moral” A turtle shell toy hammer, it is decorated with turtle shell and adorned with hanging rings of fire agate. A fine creation. Shang is now a legendary craftsdwarf. I’ll put him to work creating goods for trade.

1st Hematite, 103

Summer is upon us! Work begins on our longhouse. Lava moat continues to fill, the water is evaporating. Our Magma smelter remains unpowered. The winter sacrifice looms in my mind.

25th Malachite, 103

The summer has been filled with work. Created neat piles of stone near manufacturing. Began a project to divert water from the brook in our north west to fill the stripmine in our norhtern compound. We must have a well inside our walls, as our dwarves are vulnerable walking half-way across creation to take a drink of water.

8th limestone, 103

Spieche (a child) has been taken by a fey mood and has claimed a craftsdwarfs workshop.
HRose has her 3rd pet cat. I’m tired of cat hair in my plump helmet roast!

13th Limestone, 103

Spieche has created an artifact! “Ukerstelid astkol” wallwashes the sabre of wheels. (whatever the fuck that means) It is a native copper earring menacing with spikes of native copper. Now a child is a legendary craftsdwarf. It will be years before his genius is put to good use.

15th Limestone, 103

The caravan from Azzinfath has arrived.

26th Limestone, 103

The dwarves from Azzinfath refuse to trade with me. I simply was trying to get the most for our craftsdwarfship. Do they really expect to make thousands in profits? We do not get any supplies from mountainhome this season. The craftsdwarves are pissed.

14th Sandstone, 103

Migrants! I’ll be damned. We still have no proper sleeping arrangements for the dwarves we have! Thankfully we have plenty of food and drink. More hands will be helpful at least in hauling stone and wood.

New arrivals:
TimJames-Milker
Destarius-peasant
BobjustBob-Child
CKessel-Armorer
Therlun-peasant
EFG-leatherworker
Spoofychop-Thresher
Warren-Craftsdwarf
Squee-peasant
Wisefool-child
EricMajkut-child
DavidErikson-Bowyer
Nixxon66-peasant

Our population is now 46! If this continues we will have to expand much faster than anticipated.

12th moonstone, 103

It was a cold night when Euri took his place on the bridge above the lava moat. Despite my feelings for him personally. He was brave in the end. Never hesitating to do his duty to the community and the Gods.

13th Moonstone, 103

Perhaps I have been too hasty. We are accosted by Kobald Theives. Have I sent Euri to his doom too early?

17th Moonstone, 103

Kobald theives!

7th Obsidian, 103

Late winter. In the midst of removing stone from our new channel, Flatsinki has been taken by a fey mood. I hope all stone can be moved before spring thaws the brook and floods the channel. I have ordered the construction of floodgates to keep the water from entering the stripmine too quickly. The floodgates have been linked to a lever near the new well. Flatsinki claims a clothiers shop and begins to mumble about cut gems, plant fiber cloth and metal bars! Our fucking magma smelter still has no power and our lava moat isn’t full! I have ordered the construction of a woodfurnace. Despite the annoyance of a dwarf taken by a mood, the benefits can be great.

14th Obsidian

This will be my last entry as leader of Quakebells. I am truly cursed. I think I have sacrificed Euri too soon.

I have trained some of the peasants to be marksdwarves. They have saved us from theives several times this winter. They have all been deactivated, but at least some of us have some experience in fighting. I have made a crude archery range to the east of our compound.

Flatsinki remains in a fey mood in the clothiers shop. I fear for his life. It seems he can not find the items needed to build whatever vision is in his crazed head. OUr fucking magma smelter is a waste of space as it seems it will never have the power to run.

In my desperation to provide metal bars for flatsinki, I ordered the magma smelter deconstructed. My plan was to build a coal fired smelter and make some copper bars for the poor bastard. But it seems our engineers are as stupid as can be, for during the deconstruction our only anvil was dropped into the magma! WE HAVE NO ANVIL!!! The elves surely will not provide something as usefull. We have many months before the Carravan from Azzinfath returns. Our citizens have spoken and when winter turns to spring I will be relieved of my duties as leader. None too soon if you ask me. I will gladly go back to my simple life of milling. Though I have found some satisfaction keeping the stock records and trading. I’m becoming quite good at it if I do say so myself.

Some quick notes for my successor:

As of my last day, the lever for the floodgates leading to the northern strip mine (below the new well) Are not quite finished. I expect they will be done within a few days of your takeover.

I have left great stockpiles of wood and stone for you. Stone is neatly piled in several locations about the compound and underground. Wood will be obvious as the stockpiles nearly fill the courtyard.

I advise you to take keen interest in the manufacturing tower. The design was not mine but I continued with it. It is a fine structure and worthy of continuation.

The lava moat is of concern. It never properly filled for me, though I had naught to do with it’s creation. Perhaps you can find a way to make it functional. The design of the smelter area is fantastic, but don’t expect it to be powered by magma any time soon. Magma takes it’s own sweet fucking time.

Beware digging here as the area is rife with aquifers.

I never was able to build adequate housing for our dwarves. If I were to be in charge another year. Housing and dining would be of utmost concern for me.

With that I conclude my service as leader of Quakebells. I have come to love this place in my short time as leader. Gods be with you.

Haha, that was great. Kalle, I believe? Save on an earlier post.

For the record I saw no unicorns.

Shit. The unicorns must be lurking!

Oh, anyone wanting to learn about DF, but who has been stumped by previous tutorials, you might enjoy a very detailed tutorial I am writing. It comes complete with the client and save game so you can play along with the tutorial. I will post a link when it is up on my new site in the next day or so.

Thanks man… I’m looking to try this over the summer… or when I get free time.

Thanks man… I’m looking to try this over the summer… or when I get free time. :)

This sounds great. I always get overwhelmed once I"ve got more than 20 dwarves.

And my current fortress just hit 40 in the second year. I don’t even have an anvil yet.

The first part of my promised tutorial is up… On my new site!

Check http://www.afteractionreporter.com

Part two will go up tomorrow. You may not want to play through part one until two is up. One won’t take you that far and then you have to learn how tonsave! So confusing!

I hope this tutorial helps, let me know. It will probably stretch to a 4-parter and then hand off to the captduck’s video tutorial, the wiki and other tutorials out there.

I’ll take it from here. Kinda busy this week but I should be able to lead us all to doom in a day or two.

Awesome write-up!

It somewhat seems fitting that my namesake will go quite mad unable to find that which will make it all make sense :D The fact that the dwarves dropped the anvil in the magma is just hilarious icing on the cake. I wonder when he snaps if he chases down the ones responsible.

I have to say I was somewhat surprised to find how slowly magma actually flows. My smelter and forge took almost 2 years to reach operational status as the magma pool was on the other side of the map.

And thanks for the upcoming tutorials Calistas. I’m definitely going to be following those.

Great write-up, Major. I especially enjoyed how you channeled an irate dwarven taskmaster (or did you? :) up to his ears in fortress administration.

Looking forward to more hilarity (the anvil thing is … yeah).