Quakebells - a Qt3 Dwarf Fortress AAR

I can’t seem to get this to work. I tried replaceing my save file with the one I just downloaded, but when I start the game it only gives me the option to start a new world. Little help please.

I’m downloading and testing that file now, Ice. Seems broken?

Let us know whether it works!

I’m not sure if I just don’t know what to do. But I took the file download, replaced my existing files and renamed it save. It doesn’t work now.

I just downloaded it and renamed it Succession 2 instead of Succession and it worked so hmm.

Are you trying to replace your “Save” file or the saves inside of it? The folder I uploaded needs to be pasted inside the Save folder.

Other than that it might be a problem between versions, the new Mayday tiles that me and Calistas are using containing mods that apparently aren’t included with default DF but are with his tileset.

If that’s the problem sorry about the confusion.

I’m using mayday too. I’ll attempt this again later tonight. Thanks

edit: Yep I was trying to replace my entire save file. I pasted in there and now I have it. I’ll get working after band practice tonight and will look to be done with a year sometime on Sat.

Cool.

And don’t feel obligation to do a journal, just post what happens. I tried that as an experiment to see what I could write and well I’m not pleased.

Well it sort of worked out… I misspoke the last time as I had thought the dwarven caravan had left already but it was really only getting ready to leave. So I managed to get to trade with them very quickly before they left. I really needed some of the wood (due to some noobishly bad decisions) they had so I traded off just a couple obsidian blocks to get it. The next season 8 immigrants showed up. Then 22 showed up in the next lot. So now I’m awash in dwarves. So not real hard evidence but annecdotally it seems that trading is the key however little of it you do.

We now return you to your dwarf fortress succession already in progress.

I have a bit of a problem with that though, I usually stockpile everything for a year or two before I trade and while its true that I don’t often get dwarves the first year (sometimes to my chagrin I do, I dislike how fast the population ramps up and prefer to move slower) I almost always get them the second year.

In fact if Calistas didn’t trade Quakebells is an example of this happening because I got a few immigrants in the second year.

Trade may very well be a multiplier or have a larger influence on the rate of immigration but from my rather anecdotal experience fortress wealth factors somehow into to.

Yes, I’ll bet it’s a multiplier.

In re-reading my post I realize that I should have worded it less definitively. I never meant to imply that trading was the be all end all key to immigration. It was the key for me however.

I agree with you on the population ramp up being a bit too fast. I had only just managed to get the 8 integrated in and everyone working away and then got 22 dumped on me. I guess I should have enjoyed my ignorance of immigration a bit more :)

The way I play means I always want more immigrants, to be honest. I want a huge military that will develop lots of champions, because my main source of wealth is always dead goblins. Besides, I hate goblins.

When Toady develops the model he’s talked about, where you send out invasions of your own, I’m going to crush every elf and goblin city I can reach. Can’t wait.

I want to have a dwarf named after me!!

Dead goblins you say? What kind of environment do you start out in to get goblins?

Also, did Toady ever fix that issue with the killer carp? I’m getting a hankering to start a new game because of this thread, but I’d prefer my challenge to come from scarcity of resources and foul villains rather than … deadly livestock.

er… sorry, wrong thread :|

No they’re still deadly but to be honest I’ve never seen them. Now if you want to talk about zombie whales arriving and laying waste to everything they can see…

I’ve never had a fortress that didn’t get goblin invasions. Lots of them. Do you really not get them?

I usually pick a heavily forested site, either temperate or warm. Either a stream or an aquifer (I now avoid actual rivers because of the carp). Beyond that I don’t really think about it. I’ve never done Haunted or Terrifying.

Aquifer site was interesting, because I had to pump out several levels to get to rock. Before that (and it took years and many mistakes) I had to trade for rock and metal bars, but on the other hand since I could farm anywhere I had more food than I could easily store.

I just found an interesting exploit. I built a trade depot and had one round of trading with the elves. I figured I was done trading and didn’t like the placement of the trade depot so I ordered it removed while the elves were still sitting on it. They dropped all of their goods and didn’t pick them up. I placed the new trade depot a few tiles away but they never claimed them. When they were ready the left and all their goods were still sitting there. Our Dwarves are happily picking them up and the elves didn’t even seem pissed. They just told me they were enchanted by our more ethical works. I might have to try this with the big caravan from Mountainhome.

I’m almost through spring. I could use some help posting pics when I’m ready for my report. Should I use image shack or something? I don’t have an account, do I need one or something? I’m pretty lazy when it comes to posting pics so any advice for a newb?

Its recognized, I forget whether they get mad at you resulting in a siege or not though. I’m sorry I can’t remember back to when I first read about that though I’ll see if I can find something on the DF forums or the wiki.

You can use imageshack if you want or any other provider you like, you don’t need an account just upload. If you lose the link just upload again. What I’ve been doing for posting pics here is just dragging and dropping the pic from imageshack (example page I drag from) into my comment box, it looks to me like it’s working when I preview it but for all I know I could have been acting the fool.

I just finished my year. I’ll get the file uploaded shortly. I’ll start a recap of my exploits tomorrow. It was stressfull and more than a few mistakes were made but mostly I feel we’ve moved forward.