Quakebells - a Qt3 Dwarf Fortress AAR

The End of Winter!

Well, spring has come so the sacrifice must have worked! Lets have a look at the work we’ve been doing.

The Coffin Room:

The new forge facilities:

The first floor (production and some storage):

The second floor:

There is also a lot of underground digging. I cleared out some space and there should be lots more storage room there if need be.

http://rapidshare.com/files/233583913/QT3_Succession_Game-spr-113.rar.html

Things to do maybe:

• Re-organise the dwarf jobs: We’ve got some very skilled dwarfs in very generic professions
  • Further tidy the manufacturing and storage.
  • Perhaps increase farmers/cooks/brewing a bit and improving the quality overall.

Players

1. Calistas
  2. Morberis <-- CURRANT PLAYHAR
  3. Major Icehole
  4. Kalle
  5. Wisefoo (inactive)
  6. John_Danger
  7. Master Engraver Damien Neil
  8. Nixon66
  9. docvego
  10. ??? (sign up now!)

It takes a lot of pumps to pump out an aquifer.

I have a fortress where I pierced five damn layers of aquifer before I reached the bedrock, and I had to expand my starting level of pumps a few times. Wound up with a square six pumps on a side on the top level, with fewer pumps on each subsequent level in a sort of inverse pyramid.

It really wasn’t easy, and many miners died in the construction. It took years of trial and error. You have to dig a “tank” for each pump to pump into, and it’s easy to undermine (literally) your previous tanks. Also when you dig a tank out of aquifer stone, it adds to the amount of water pouring into the open space, which can make it hard to construct the pump. You need skilled architects and builders who can build fast before the water makes them quit.

Holy shit Calistas, you got a lot done.

That’s what happens when you reduce your professions to, growing shit, melting shit and then masonry/carpentry. We probably have a lot of rubbish mixed-skill dwarfs to deal with but there is a lot of space now and dwarfs don’t have to walk did miles to eat/sleep/work. One thing I didn’t get round to doing was converting the central building to nobles appartnents. It would make a lot of sense and it would be easy enough to add a floor or two.

Oh, 3dwarf doesn’t work with the current new mayday tile set (he changes the exe). Would love to see someone bother to make a couple of pictures.

TEH BUMPAGE! Come on folks!

Current 3D view!

…I didn’t realise the noble tower had this bridge attachment at the top. The left most lever on it does… no idea. The right-most lever drops the bridge for a long distance SPLAT. I don’t like this tower as much as my now-perfected murder tower, which has a nice X at the bottom for the sacrifice to aim for!

Man. Quakebellians love killing each other so much they have redundant murder towers!

The one on top of the noble tower is the one Inod built to kill herself, I think.

400 BABIES

With d11 I can get my fps up to 1800 by increasing the fps_cap to about 2000, a ridiculous speed to play at, but it means I can keep the fps around 100 whilst the fortress increases in size.
Oh and could someone please name a dwarf erneg yvvas please.

We are coming up on 48 hours and no Moberius, what was the rule again?

Sorry about not responding, I’m off in the mountains for the long weekend and I just checked this using a guys Iphone. I can start up on Money but I might not post anything until tuesday.

P.S. Mountain climbing with steel toed work boots is nottt so great of an idea, I’m going to need to spend some money.

If next in line (or anyone) wants to do a year in the next 36-48 hours you have the next few hours to say so, I reckon! Let’s mix this baby up! Yeah! And I hope someone can get us some bauxite, I have a scheme I would like to put in place! I want that obsidian farm working (and made bigger!) and a bunch of masons churning out a vast quantity of obsidian blocks. It will be awesome.

Note, the game year took quite a few hours on my middle of the road Laptop, any suggestions? Couldn’t make much sense of the above techo post.

The next person must also name dwarfs LUIS, Armand, Angel, and Floro. (I promised Judge Floro over in his thread.)

I’d be interested in taking a turn at some point, though massive wacky projects I haven’t entirely got my head around (ie obsidian production pit) so I may not be the best to follow in Calistas wake. I do however have a basic grasp of well the basics and some intermediate stuff (drawbridges etc) - Also is it allright if I append job titles to names? I find it helps me run the fortress a bit more smoothly.

For me this gets too confusing with a sucession game. Everyone has different ideas about what to call them. i.e. Calistas chippy etc. For me it’s easier if you let the game name them under the occupation line. That way there is at least some consistency with the job titles. Also it’s damn near impossible to run your military if you give them job titles. Custom names are static while the others change when you activate units.

I’m after Morby but no way I can get a year done today or tomorrow.

edit: There are a few exceptions to this of course, but I feel that giving them all custom job titles isn’t good for sucession.

Also don’t know if this has been answered previously in the thread are people just taking screenshots with the printscreen button?

Yes.

Everyone should be using DF Manager to look after their dwarfs, it makes your life a lot easier and makes bulk assigning jobs a ton easier. I find job titles fairly meaningless other than as a method to herd large numbers of dwarfs, hence I name and rename them constantly as jobs rose and fall in prominance and I divide or teams. Eg, with aquifer wall smoothing we would need to create a small group of skilled smoothers who can get the job done quickly. Custom profession to group and task them makes sense.

Wolff, want me to add you? You don’t have to be an awesome player, just take screens and write 'em up!

Someone please give Angie this title.

Angie Gallant
400 BABIES
Social worker