Quantum Leap 2022 - NBC

quantum-leap-nbc.com_-770x433

Set 30 years after Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished, follows a new team that must restart the project hoping to understand the mysteries behind the machine and its creator.

Monday, Sept. 19 at 10/9c

Some very good casting choices!

I hope they use the original sound effects from Al’s handheld device.

Oh boy!

Really have mixed feelings about this, because I loved the original and am wary that this is a going to be a dud. However if it does manage to recapture the spirit of the old show and not just turn into a grimdark mess, I’ll be very much on board!

I loved the original series as a kid – for the first few years, anyway. Though even back then, as a fifth grader, I thought that the premise 1) kind of pandered to Baby Boomers by playing all the greatest historical postwar American hits and 2) took it easy on the studio by having a time travel show where the time machine was a fog machine, some lights, and a fan, and the studio could dive into their props and costumes departments and use whatever had been gathering dust for the next episode.

The new lead is – Jesus, can this be right? – nearly ten years younger than me. If the premise will be the same, and that the show won’t go farther backwards than the birth of the main character, then us Xers and millennials can look forward to some pandering in our direction. I look forward to the ripped-from-the-headlines-(archives) episodes about the Bobbit, Buttafuoco, Harding, Westboro Baptist Church, OJ and shark attack analogues, a grunge episode, a Woodstock '99 episode, a 9/11 episode, a two-parter about a soldier in Desert Storm and his son in the same spot in Iraqi Freedom, an episode curiously similar to the plot of American Pie with Jason Biggs guest starring in the Eugene Levy role, and a Napster episode.

I’m glad to see that Ernie Hudson is involved, that guy never gets the acclaim he deserves.

If they carry anything, ANYTHING, from the original series, I hope they wind up fixing the series finale. Give Scott Bakula a guest star role, let him go home, and spell his character’s name correctly on the last title card. That’s “Beckett” with two Ts.

Loved this show as a kid. Hope the sequel measures up. Can we get a sequel to Sliders while we’re at it?

I remember watching this as a child, but i think it was already old by then.

I enjoyed it, thought it was great.

Was this the one where the main character would try and change events in a time line, and whenever he started a new timeline, he would be in the body of someone else, and we would not see that body until he (main character) looked in a mirror?

And it was usually some traumatic event he would try and avert, and there was always time pressure.

Yes, you got it. That’s the show. In the early seasons it was always leaping into the lives of ordinary people who never really make it to history books. But then ratings weren’t great so the last season they pulled out all the stops and he started leaping into famous people. Lee Harvey Oswald, Marilyn Monroe, etc. It didn’t help, the show was still cancelled anyway, but that last season was really good.

I really like your ideas! Dang, I guess there have been quite a few interesting things worth revisiting in my lifetime. I’ll add an episode about the fight for equality on gay marriage, an episode about the entry into Afghanistan and then an episode about the exit from that country while leaping into the same guy 20 years later or his son. How about multiple episodes leaping into climate activists in the 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, 20s? How about an episode where you play one of Michael Phelps’ teammates in the Beijing Olympics, and you have to make sure all your teammates don’t overindulge the night before so that the US can will the relay medal the next morning?

I’m glad they expanded their Asian male lead Rolodex from just Daniel Dae Kim, John Chi and Steven Yuen though my vote is for Ken Jeong.

Phew! Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa was holding down the fort in Hollywood by himself for the longest time.

It’s nice to see that the original 5 seasons of Quantum Leap are on Peacock now. I’m looking forward to that in a few months when I rotate back around to Peacock after Hulu then Prime Video then Netflix.

Of course they are. Thank me, I bought the Blu-rays about 6 weeks ago because the series wasn’t streaming anywhere.

We watched “Glitter Rock” the other night. What a blast from the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3I0SpwjVK8

Huh. I think it’s fair to say that the only reason I’m even vaguely interested is to see how/whether it connects back to the original show.

I agree, that and seeing Ernie Hudson get some screen time.

I can’t believe they had no music in that trailer related to the original theme song.

Very true.

Also is it me or was that entire trailer set in the 80’s?

It takes place 30 years after Sam disappeared, in the same continuity, I believe.

Right, so the question becomes what they’ll do with that.

I think it looks pretty good. I’d watch it if I had Peacock.

Why did they go with CGI when he looks in the mirrors? Really looked weird to me.