Quarter To Three Movie Club - October 2018 Film is Tokyo Story - Spoilers Allowed!!

I don’t do horror either, and I will not be watching Silence of the Lambs. Never have, probably never will. I have seen a number of thrillers but that very concept of that one grosses me out and there isn’t even a Pitt or Freeman to help me stomach something like Se7en which I wished I had never seen.

Note:

Nominations for the November Selection for Quarter To Three Movie Club have begun!

Follow this link to the November Thread!

I am with you Nes I hate horror. I saw Seven I the theater and I was shocked and aghast at poor gwynneth.

I won’t do horror.

And fyi Silence of the lambs? that’s pretty much horror. But … there are some redeeming qualities. NOT the Anthony Hopkins qualities more the Jodi foster qualities vis a a vis horror. Reminds me of a comment I need to add to my Joe Abercrombie thread.

I reread this thread today because I recommended Tokyo Story to someone. What a thoughtful and wonderful thread. Thank you again to all you wonderful people.

It makes me wish we’d been able to keep this club going!

I’m just going to take this opportunity (as I’ve had a few drinks this evening) to say that, while you often hold opinions that are so far from my own as to be quite alien, I really–genuinely–value your presence and contributions here. Thank you for being a part of this community.

Also, Tokyo Story was fantastic.

Tis why we all love our RocketMonkey!

4 years ago, when I read this, I envisioned you watching somehow on a hospital TV, maybe using an ancient VCR they still had. Or perhaps on your phone. It just occurred to me this time that some people have laptops, so you likely watched it on a laptop.

Can I ask, did you father pass away when in that coma? I feel it’s not entirely off-topic, given the nature of this film. My own father passed away 2 years ago in July of 2020. I spent as much time as I could with my parents, but it still didn’t feel like enough.

This is also where I ended up, when I think back on this movie. It was an interesting discussion in this thread about who was selfish or selfless, or who behaved poorly, who was a bad parent, how do good children behave, but I agree that the characters managed as much as they could, with a mixture of all of the above.

Yes, he did never fully recover from it. He got out of the coma, but with severe brain damage and never (we believe) fully conscious (couldn’t talk, couldn’t see, but some times could understand and even smile, but it was fleeting).

Then he got a series of hospital borne infections his weakened body couldn’t deal with and all improvement went away pretty fast. He was put to rest 8 months or so after that message. He was a doctor, and my mother is too (and so we’re a lot of his friends), so we were very well informed and it helped us always be realistic (we never expected him to fully recover, even in the best of possible outcomes) and made the final sedation and goodbye easier to manage.

So I recommended this movie to my boss yesterday, who is in his mid-60s, and he came back today having watched it, and he absolutely loved it. It affected him so deeply. We talked about it for over half hour at lunch today.

It’s interesting that he had even different interpretations of certain scenes than the ones I read here. Like he thought when the father was drunk and telling his friend that his son was just a neighborhood doctor, he was just trying to have his friend keep his pride, and also have a good impression of his son, and kind of downplay and act more humble, even though he’s secretly very proud of his son for being the doctor he is.

It kind of made me realize that one of the brilliant parts about the subject matter and details of this movie is how much the viewer brings in their own baggage and interpretations.

Thanks to this thread, I was able to talk to him about individual scenes throughout the movie, and it was a wonderful discussion.

I thought it was his unparalleled talent for thread necromancy.