Racing games - GTR, Race07, Rfactor, etc

Record Scratch Yep, that’s me…

I may have got that corner slightly wrong.

You’re just doing the minimum number of head injury demonstrations required by your helmet sponsor each season.

Lower tyre wear with this one neat trick.

Been hoping back into Assetto Corsa Competizione with the new 1.0.7 update and the new tyre model it features. Can confirm after much testing around Circuit de Catalunya that the kerbs are indeed a lot friendlier and realistic now. The performance optimisations (mainly CPU related) are welcome too, along with all the other stuff in the update.

Did they make mid-race saving work yet?

Need to test it myself to confirm, but at least according to the patch notes and what I have read online mid-session saving should be working now.

I bought rFactor 2 because there’s a mod for the road course of the track night I’m going to on Tuesday. Man, it’s just as janky as the original.

I finally dragged my wheel out of the closet and the rubber on my old Fanatec wheel was sticky and smearing. A quick Google search revealed that it’s a super thin rubber layer over the plastic. I just needed to scrub off the residue with rubbing alcohol.

Good enough. I mean… wait, this won’t work at all, I need a ClubSport Base and multiple wheels ASAP.

rFactor2 is getting better since the switch to Sector9, but it’s a slow ole process.

Which track are you going to?

PBIR

Nice! Kind of looks like an upside down Circuit de Catalunya. I haven’t driven there.

I’m lucky to live near Lime Rock, which is on just about every sim so you can practice thousands of laps before you ruin your own tyres for real.

Forgot to mention it’s my first one! If there’s a Subaru sedan mod for rFactor 2, someone let me know.

I’ll need to try ACC again with the new patch.

Rf2 is indeed janky. I’ve never liked it mainly due to tire model, but some people do. The only time I boot it is also to run some local tracks before a track day.

BTW Tim good luck on the trackday! I’ve done more than a few…great fun

This may be too late, but my old joystick had a similar problem with sticky rubber on the grip. I applied a liberal amount of baby powder, got rid of the stickiness and saved the rubber.

Thanks. I had a great time except I developed a strange chattering vibration in my brake pedal after a few laps. Pretty sure it wasn’t the ABS. I might’ve warped the rotors but I didn’t feel it later when the car cooled down.

If it does turn out I overheated the rotors, then I can definitely blame driving sims for that. I’m used to GT cars where you can stand on the brakes every turn. Otherwise it was a huge help understanding the line. Most of the other novices had no clue.

Did you park after a run with the e brake on or even hold brake pedal with car stopped and rotors hot? I ask because that sounds like you might have transferred an uneven level of pad to the disk?

Also were you on stock pads. Could be then reacting unevenly/degrading.

I’d inspect pads and disks even if it seems to have gone away

I knew not to apply the ebrake but who knows. I’ll get it checked out! All stock everything.

We need a track day thread, heh.

Dear universe, please release Gran Turismo 2 on PC for 1 dollar. If you’re really feeling saucy, include a PC version of SSX Tricky for an extra dollar.

I was thinking about a track day thread too.

Going back to ABS. I know you did not think it was ABS but some ABS systems are nearly unnoticeable, and some rattle the brake pedal tremendously and seem like the brakes are clattering. I have taught the Tire Rack Street Survival school (great program for teens/new drivers BTW) several times, and one exercise we do is panic stops and teaching the students how to really get into the ABS. As an instructor I would often drive and demonstrate, and the differences in different car’s ABS engagement is huge. Again, just another thought

Codemasters renews the F1 licence through 2025.

After hundred of races in Race Room Racing Experience trying to guess where in the process my pit crew are and if I can leave yet, I’m delighted that Assetto Corsa Competizione has animated pit crew.

Also that they appear in the rear view when they run behind the car.