Racing games - GTR, Race07, Rfactor, etc

The guy holding the stop sign takes his job very seriously.

David Perel drives a Ferrari around Spa, in real life, in Assetto Corsa Competizione, in GT Sport and in iRacing.

I just got disqualified from my Spa race. Each of the three drivers has a maximum stint time and I hadn’t been paying proper attention to it. I came into my “last” stop with 40 minutes to go and… didn’t have any drivers with 40 minutes of seat time left.

I put in one with 28 minutes knowing I’d have to come in again just to change drivers, but then his 28 minutes burned up on the run into Bus Stop on the last lap before I was going to pit to get him out of the car and… DQ.

No, not Dairy Queen.

Wow, that’s harsh! Shouldn’t it have just been a drive-through penalty?

Also, how is ACC now? I haven’t tried it since early in the year, and it was still a work in progress then.

I was quite sour on it and had only played a couple hours since launch because I felt the cars felt really lethargic and the game failed to do anything at all with all the driver ratings it generates to move it toward iRacing’s space.

Then my current GT3 league season moved toward an end and so I took a chance to go back to the ACC GT3s and… it’s really good.

I’ve been driving the Porsche, which is always an entertaining prospect given the mid/rear engine location, and before my driver screwup I was really enjoying the racing. I had the AI on 93 and for one stint I pulled out behind an Audi and then… stayed there for the whole run to the next pitstop.

I was about a second behind for the whole stint and finally got a run to go side-by-side into the Bus Stop… except that was the lap I had to come in for fuel.

It doesn’t hurt that it looks delicious.

I dusted off my Fanatec CSR wheel over the holiday break for my first serious batch of sim driving in over a year. Unfortunately, the motor makes a clicking sound and feels notchy. It might be finally dead.

I emailed support. I wonder if they still carry replacement motors. It looks like Fanatec has given up on the $200 price point so I guess I’d have to look elsewhere. Not even sure I want to spend that much given how little sim driving I do these days.

Bismark, like you I just re-tried ACC and was impressed. Very nice improvement.

In other news will be attempting the 24hrs of Daytona on iRacing again. This year the team will be in a Ferrari GTE. Wish us luck! Frankly endurance racing is nearly the only reason I keep my iRacing sub going. It is a real challenge, and very cool to work with a group of people trying to survive the event.

My league ran GT3s last season, but we’ve gone back to Touring Cars for this upcoming one.

Raceroom has added ballast to the options and our pre-season testing was very promising. It’s not going to bring the fastest and slowest drivers together, but it’ll bunch up some groups for sure and our regular midfielders were able to run around the podium spots.

Our first race is sunday, hopefully it’ll be tight.

Safe to say the Touring Cars were a good choice.

The racing was bananas and we didn’t put the ballast in yet.

Was it pit stops around L7-L10, or accidents?

Pitstops. Each race has a compulsory stop where you have to change at least two tyres. Which in these FWD machines mean you change the front tyres.

Turns out race 2 worked my heart rate more than shovelling the snow off my driveway.

Well my Daytona 24 did not elevate my heart rate because of a human error in getting the team registered. The UI in iRacing gets a bit wonky when they run these big events just due to the scare (6000 racers all trying to get on in a short timeframe, and the server farm has to figure out how to dissect into correct run groups and create all the sessions), and it can result in people making mistakes.

Oh well, when you get to do these big events its so well worth it.

We had a couple people in our race who had run the Daytona24, so they were a bit sleepy.

I think they finished 5th and 8th in their splits. The 8th placed guys had a three person team, but then one person bailed, so they ran 24 with only two drivers alternating.

ohh, that is ironman for sure.

We had 7 drivers, but note that each driver also was responsible for equal hours playing spotter/engineer so the driver has more support.

Its such a different discipline. How fast you are is of less importance than if you can run multiple hours without bending sheet metal. The stability of your gaming rig also becomes important.

The first DLC pack is available for Assetto Corsa Competizione, with four tracks and a collection of liveries and new team data to add the International GT Challenge to the game.

One of the four new circuits is Bathurst. They added it a little late to catch the Bathurst 12 hour that ran last weekend, but I’ve had a great time this week being reminded why The Mountain is such a challenge.

My league ran it in GT3 cars last year in Raceroom, but since patch 1.2 the ACC GT3s have really come alive for me and it feels fantastic to race them here.

A real brown racesuit moment from last night’s league race.

Miraculously, he actually managed to get his car stopped, take the hairpin way wide and rejoin before I stopped screaming.

Ooooooh

Frontier Developments plc (AIM: FDEV, “Frontier”, the “Company”), a leading developer and publisher of videogames based in Cambridge, announces a multi-year exclusive licence (the “Licence”) with Formula One Management (“FOM”) to develop and publish management games annually for the FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP (“F1”), the world’s most prestigious motor racing competition.

I’m not sure if I want an Elite-style F1 game or a Planet Zoo-style F1 game more.

Wherein the racing is fun and well-executed, but I have the hardest time pulling my car into the garage at the end of the day.

Sector 3 have made all the content for the Race Room Racing Experience game free for at least the next five days.

This is the game my league has been using for the past three seasons and it’s very good.

Yellow flags, brown racesuit.

Ironically, the hay bales are there for your safety.

Note that I vaulted over some cows.