Racing games - GTR, Race07, Rfactor, etc

The Raceroom Racing Experience summer sale is now on

If you were interested in the game. Or, you know, joining the GWJ Raceroom league.

Oh nice. Iā€™ve been playing GT mostly, but plan on diving into this one soon. Might be able to grab me some tracks. Iā€™d love to do a league, but Iā€™m nowhere near competent yet. Iā€™m pretty obsessive once I get into something so Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll get there at some point.

Competent or otherwise, you should come play with us already. Our field spreads over about three seconds a lap and wherever you fall in that line weā€™d love to have more drivers there. The back of the field has some great racing going on, just as much as the front.

This is the leaderboard at the circuit for our next race - you can see thereā€™s a decent spread of speed, although that will tighten up some on the race once we load the ballast on to the front runners.

Meanwhileā€¦ Project Cars 3ā€¦

Nick Pope: Principal Vehicle Handling Designer : So, for example, by removing tyre wear and fuel usage, we could in turn remove pitstops, which resulted in much closer and more consistent racing. Thus, the whole process of getting to the part that matters mostā€”the actual racing and driving of these amazing cars and their upgradesā€”became a far easier and more streamlined affair. All these game design decisions have had great results in terms of the racingā€” with the tyres at their optimal range all the time and fuel at optimal load, there is no break in the action to stop for more fuel or new rubber. Itā€™s pure racing action, and itā€™s just made Project CARS 3 into a much better racing-driver experience.

Oh boy.

From this long PC3 blog post : https://www.projectcarsgame.com/three/news/developer-blog-1

ā€¦ and in Project Cars 4 weā€™ll be adding rubber-banding opponents! The actual racing will be closer than ever!

Diego

They should just make it 1 car and everyone gets a turn driving it.

I guess Reiza are making the next Madness Engine sim, so SMS didnā€™t need to bother.

That is what I figured as well. Why try to compete with Reiza, right? And I must say AMS 2 is indeed looking pretty good.

I didnā€™t have that track so I grabbed it and the Audi. Holy crap that track is a roller coaster. Only issue Iā€™m having is how to approach the last two turns. Right now Iā€™m running 1:03ā€™s after an hourā€™s practice. Iā€™m pretty sure I can do much better than that. I really like the car btw.

I havenā€™t played this sim much yet so I certainly want to get familiar with it before I punt real people off the track by accident.

I donā€™t think any of us had run this track before it came up in the schedule and the first time we saw the banking in the penultimate turn they may have been some screaming.

Running testing with 25 minutes of fuel and 163lbs of ballast my front tyres are practically on fire by the end of maybe five laps. Itā€™s going to be real interesting with 20 of us.

Those hills are batshit crazy but a lot of fun. Iā€™m going to practice some more tomorrow, but with the default setup and no aids I was almost hitting the 1:01ā€™s and I know Iā€™m cocking up at the end. I think this may be easier to drive than GT as I feel like the feedback from the cars is better.

We also run the default setups. Things like ABS and Traction Control are set to ā€œFactoryā€ so if theyā€™re on the real car you can have them in the game, but outside of that itā€™s just fuel amounts and then brake balance, (as you can change that in the cockpit). We have some fast guys, but we still try to keep things at least a bit casual.

After this weekendā€™s Swedish roller coaster, the next race is at Moscow Raceway Sprint. Then we go to Laguna Seca for our second endurance event of the season - one one hour race, instead of the 25 minute/15 minute pair we usually have.

Ah makes it more appealing as Iā€™m a noob at doing setups. What times do you race? Iā€™m eastern time. I doubt I would join for a few more weeks as Iā€™m too busy right now.

Our races are almost always Sundays at 9pm Eastern, but we donā€™t have a rigid schedule. The league has its own slack and we post events and have people vote on available dates and then we pick the date thatā€™s going to put the most drivers on track.

We usually end up running something like three events every two months.

Inbetween we run hotlaps against the clock and then closer to the race the server will be up for a week or so, so people can gather for ad hoc joint sessions and test with ballast if theyā€™re affected by that as thereā€™s no ballast in single player.

That slower pace means that even when we pull out an odd track like Knutstorp, everyone has a couple weeks to get some practice in.

Ah nice 9PM on a Sunday is easy peasy for me. Iā€™m almost always home at that time.

This is very interesting!!! Hmmmmmm I like the idea of jumping into cars that are the same. Once you get good at tuning it makes a huge difference, but itā€™s also a huge time investment.

Ya default setups make it so much easier for me. Iā€™d always feel like I have no shot against people that know how to tweak the settings. I just installed the spotter app which Iā€™m going to try later. Canā€™t believe that stuff is free.

In race two (reverse grid) someone did manage to roll their car on that banking in the penultimate corner.

Of course, they ended up facing backwards right in front of me, so I hit them hard nose-to-nose and messed up my aero for the rest of the race.

Was great racing though and we had our seventh and eighth different race winners of the season over the two events.

Everyone at Knutstorp notices the steep downhill braking area at turn 12 (Gryden) and then the crazy banking at turn 13 (BƤcken), but the fast right hand sweeper halfway through the lap (TƤndstiften) is a sneakily dangerous spot because itā€™s fast, has a hill crest and a change of direction and the fast line is to hook your right side tyres over the inside curbing.

So in race two this happened to one of our drivers.

I am watching real live races (at 720p on YouTube) and the problem is almost as bad as with the virtual race. What gives?