Racing games - GTR, Race07, Rfactor, etc

They may have ported their lean angles over directly from their MotoGP game.

They also have to accommodate that primary control being a quarter inch long stick and the back-and-forth sawing that can cause without throwing their riders through the scenery every time.

Elsewhere the contrasts are great - when I first started running the course I thought “well… this isn’t a MotoGP bike, so I should probably brake quite a bit earlier to be safe.” So I jammed on the anchors way, way earlier than I thought I needed to and still ended up flashing past the corner and through someone’s windows at 100mph.

It turns out MotoGP brakes are really good.

I almost barfed.

That’s, uh, pretty impressive. I don’t think I could play that game.

-Tom

It does have a third-person chase view!

Also a helmet view that doesn’t move anywhere near as much as that dynamic view.

Wow I couldn’t even watch that I wanted to barf. :) I don’t for the life of me understand how anyone could race in a motorcycle. One mistake and you are toast.

On a mostly unrelated note I did start driving a bunch again this week. I’m back to GT Sport as I by far think it’s the best sim out there to learn tracks on. There’s just so many guides available online that are so well done that it makes my life super easy.

I’m focusing on Interlagos and the Ring GP this week as that’s the tracks they have in race A and B. Interlagos I’m picking up way quicker than the RIng. Mostly because that one is group 4 and the other is group 2. And I think it’s an easier track…

I pretty much have Inter down pat now, but racing with other people hasn’t gone so hot so far. At least I don’t feel bad accidentally punting someone in a 4 lap race.

Hey @Ultrazen - How much rear brake are you using in real life?

I’m surprised by how little it’s used both here and in the MotoGP games.

Are motorcycle gamers extra cranky or are motorcycle games extra mediocre? I’ve never seen one without mixed reviews.

I think it’s hard to properly control a motorcycle with a thumbstick, so the riding doesn’t feel accurate and when it comes to that feel motorcycle riders are… passionate?

Last night was the penultimate event of my league season and on lap two of race one something felt funny with my pedals and then I noticed my brake wouldn’t come all the way off when I released it. So I had to pit and DNF and then I found this.

I broke the return spring.

I could have just remapped the clutch pedal to be the brake for race two, but that sounded too easy so instead I disassembled the clutch pedal, took the spring and bar from that, disassembled the brake pedal, put the clutch piece in place and reassembled the brake.

I finished emergency repairs just as the race one winner crossed the line.

For some reason this hastily repaired piece of kit then only gave me 68% of pedal travel for the brake, but I went with that for race two anyway, guessed all my new braking markers on the fly… and came second.

I wouldn’t like to say how many miles of pretend driving I put through that four dollar spring, but I guess it’s comfortably into six figures. They don’t make things like they used to.

I suppose if I drove sims that much, I’d have great stories like that too!

Distance is 66% off on Steam right now, and I just released my seventh level:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2273591068

“R-factor”

It’s a parkour, wing-suit simulator disguised as an F-zero-like, with an ungraded country of human imagination to soar through. Yes.

@Starflightdream - is there an AI in Distance, or are you hotlapping against ghosts?

No AI, only ghosts. There is also online multiplayer, but running other people’s strange maps in Sprint is where it’s at.

Played GT sport A TON this week and I’m happy to say it paid off. I’ve been practicing the daily c race over and over and over all week. Today I had 3-4 2nds in a row and then a 1st place. I called it quits there as I was starting to get tired.

I was having a really crappy time the last couple of days crashing out on the first lap over and over. It’s because I had the brake balance too far back and it was making the car too loose through the turns. I adjusted that and that’s when the streak started. So much fun to have some nice clean racing with people and feeling totally in control of the car.

Weekly race B is Laguna Seca with group 4 cars. If I’m really bored I could probably get from a C rating to an A rating. I’ve driven that course sooooo much… And I’m really good with the Audi. We shall see…

Got a chance to run in the SRO GT World Challenge esports 6 hours of Spa on Sunday using ACC. absolutely fabulous experience. The link below has the press release and a link to the video.

Our team had a feeling it might rain, and ran a conservative setup that allowed us to run the 6hrs without any major incident. Well we got tangled in someone else’s spin and got tagged from behind, but other were minor. This was great as many teams had fast but unstable setups and we were able to pass them after they spun. The result was 9th in a stacked pro class of real world and sim drivers.

ACC is the best on the market imo for weather, and while it rained all race the amount of rain and the temps changed though out forcing us to adapt constantly. In one stint I was hunting for wet spots on the track to keep the wet tires cool and in another stint we were hydroplaning across rivers.

I will say the ACC back office for driver swap endurance events is stupid crazy, and still some people had trouble. Really needs work. For the drivers, it was mostly bearable but the fact your race team cannot set pit strategy but the driver has to do it (while driving) is outdated relative to iRacing.

Our final league race of the season tonight and practice suggests things might be a little tight.

I have been watching WEC and Weather Tech endurance races on YouTube lately. I don’t have the patience to learn to do it, even virtually, though.

PS. Sebring is an ugly ugly race course.

You take that back! It has character.

Any idea what you will be doing for next season? I’ve been racing a lot and getting in from the beginning would be sweet.

We are in silly season now. So we’ll vote on cars we want to be included in the choice, then narrow that choice down and do some test nights where everyone comes and runs shot races/practices in several different cars (sometimes at the same time (with hilarious results)) and then we’ll pick the car for season 7.

Once we have a car we’ll move on to tracks, because we don’t want to pick the Nordschleife and then find out the car we picked has 90 horsepower and will take an hour to do one lap.

I think you’re on the slack already, so come hang out in the s7 thread. You don’t have to vote, but you’d get to see which cars are being put forward at least.

Nice I just have to figure out how to use slack. :) In F1 2020 after figuring out I had the steering rotation all wrong (It should be set to 360 I didn’t realize it was set to 560) I started to really get the hang of it this weekend. I’ve always had the hardest time with the F1 cars as the diving into corners like a psycho is not how I drive. Australia I’m only 1 second off the best drivers pace and I know where I’m slow.

So I do think I can be competitive, but I have a lot of learning tracks to go. Once I get a track though it’s the greatest feeling. Especially when you see it translate between games and cars. I can run SPA on any game now and feel totally comfortable.