Racing games - GTR, Race07, Rfactor, etc

Rotation is important for sure. My wheel has a number of profiles I can scroll through on LEDs on the wheel. I have one set to 360 for open wheelers, one to 540 for various tintops like touring cars and GT cars and another set to 280 for KartKraft.

Every now and then I get into a GT3 car without remembering to move away from the 280 setting and can’t work out why I cant drive.

It looks like someone just painted lines on a Walmart lot. I feel embarrassed on their behalf.

It might not be much to look at, but it’s an excellent racetrack (at least in the sims I’ve played). Quite possibly the best flat/mostly flat circuit in the world. Some nice straights leading into sharp turns, lots of passing opportunities, some tricky sections, super bumpy track: it’s just a good time.

I’ve driven it IRL. You’re right, it’s great. That was my first experience with high speed turns and I was pretty amazed, even though I’m still crawling around at a snail’s pace compared to most of the ridiculously fast street cars you can buy off the corner lot.

Has Sebring ever been resurfaced? The front straight is still the concrete the old bombers used to land on, right?

I like it - it’s certainly better than anything Hermann Tilke could ever vomit out - but when I think of “must race there” circuits it doesn’t push to front of mind.

I don’t think it would for me either, but it’s all relative. Someone living next to Laguna Seca might have Sebring on their bucket list. Heck, I’d love to see what Tilke’s done with COTA.

I wonder if that has more to do with the fact that there aren’t too many ‘major’ races held there anymore or, really, in decades? There is no F1, NASCAR, Indycar, etc. It still has the 12 Hours of Sebring, but even that’s lost a lot of its luster to the 24 Hours of Daytona in recent decades. It does not seem to show up in video games too often either. Honestly, I rarely considered it too much until I started racing it on sims.

Purely on track layout and design, I’d rate it higher than many more prestigious tracks (e.g., probably over every current F1 track aside from Spa and Suzuka).

Eh… I disagree there. Sebring is a massive party that is on a larger scale than Daytona from what I’ve read. They also ramped it up the last couple years by bringing in the WEC on the same weekend. Daytona is a big deal, but Sebring is right there if not larger for fans.

It’s used throughout the year for testing both private and for some series as an official test day. It’s a tough layout. IndyCars don’t race there but do test there all the time. It’s just too rough to have an event right now I think. They test there to get data for street circuits which are often just as rough although the run the short course to test.

@Mr_Bismarck I don’t think they’ve ever resurfaced that front straight. No.

Fanatec has a Black Friday sale. I’m seriously considering the CSL Elite Wheel at $400, which is $100 off. It would make a good Christmas present.

https://fanatec.com/us-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/racing-wheels/csl-elite-racing-wheel-officially-licensed-for-playstation

They’re limiting the number of units they’ll sell under this deal and they’re down to 96 left!

[EDIT] I also assume there’s no way in hell I get it in time for Christmas.

I have a CSL and it’s a nice wheel. Do you have pedals that are compatible?

Meanwhile, I need to switch sponsors from DHL to UPS so I can have a brown race suit for these divebombs

Streamable link

I have the ClubSport V2 pedals. They’d better be compatible since I ended up buying the wheel.

I was talking to my cousin who’s always wanted to get into sim racing but doesn’t have the time. My problem is I struggle to make time due to the inertia involved – difficult to setup, difficult to stop playing once I start. I think my best approach might be to join an online league and pick one weeknight to play consistently.

Been playing ACC this week. Finally got my vr dialed in and holy crap it’s fun. The AI is pretty good to run with and the cars are so easy to drive. I’m driving group 4 right now and was just doing a 15 minute race at night at Seca. Sooooo much fun and super immersive. I honestly drive so much better in vr as you can really look into the turns. Secas hairpin is a billion times easier to hit correctly that way. And flying down the corkscrew is just wow.

I used to have so much trouble with that turn but once you get it it’s a blast. My biggest problem is hitting that damn curb the turn before. I get it right 99 percent of the time but man it can wreck your car fast when you don’t.

I am very excited to report that I just purchased a Logitech G29 wheel and am looking forward to being able to really play driving games the way they are meant to be played.

I already own Project Cars 2 and American/European Truck Simulator, but I am wondering if there are any other particular recommendations that are great for wheels? Particularly if they are a little outside the box or do something different. For instance, is Wreckfest good fun with a wheel? Are there any games that use wheels that simulate something other than cars (like a boating sim or space cars or something)?

Thanks in advance!

I can’t recommend anything outside the box but my favourite driving game is Dirt Rally. It drives fantastic and is totally different with a copilot calling out turns. I still think it’s the best rally game and well best driving game ever…

Agreed. For sportscars, I’d say the big enduros are Daytona 24, Sebring 12, Le Mans 24, Spa 24, and 24 Hours Nürburgring. For teams and racers, these are key bucketlist events.

As for layout, its really unique in its still basically the same layout and pavement for close to 70 years. Because of the pavement its bumpy like a street course, but big and fast. Its one of my favorite tracks, but then again I prefer the classics like Sebring, Brands Hatch, Mosport, Road America, etc over the new F1 style courses.

COTA is interesting in that it has some classic US style road course corners (T1, T7-11) but then some artificial modern F1 style corners (like T12-18)

Having a set event to practice for works well for me. Whether its a weekly league race, or a major team enduro event, the desire to get in and practice so I’m ready helps me keep focused. Plus with a good league you get to know the other drivers and hanging out and chatting post-race or during practice becomes part of the fun.

I had been wanting to watch Le Mans on Youtube this fall but the number of manufacturers is so small it kind of makes the race less fun.

Wow, my Fanatec CSL Elite wheel is preparing to ship. I figured since I was purchaser 3440 out of 3500 over Black Friday that I wouldn’t see it for months. They must have been cranking away this year to build an inventory like that.

It’s going under the tree. I’ll grab ACC during the next Steam sale, then maybe pick up iRacing in January after my next trip to Sebring!

Well… our League of Mostly Old Gentlemen is going through car selection for season seven right now. If ever you want a casual-but-competitive mixed ability group to come join.

I’ll check it out this weekend. I really want to get in from the start. Jumping in during the middle of the season just seemed weird to me. Is it raceroom or you haven’t decided yet?