Racing games - GTR, Race07, Rfactor, etc

My ancient Momo wheel died. Well not entirely died, but the green led won’t turn on when plugged to the power outlet, which indicates that it not taking power, and of course no FFB. Really disappointing when I just got back to sim racing.

So I thought it’s time to get a new wheel. I can’t justify to myself (or to my wife) buying one of the more serious mid tier offerings. Also, considering that I was quite happy with the momo until now, I’m sure whatever I’ll buy will be a step up anyway.

I’m considering either this Logitech G29 bundle or a Thrustmaster T300RS.

The LG has a 3 pedal setup and comes with a shifter, but from what I read I gather that the TM has better FFB. The LG is also a little cheaper.

Any advice?

I know people with both and they’re all very happy.

The 300 wheel gives you more information through your hands because the force feedback is better and has a wider range of detail to feed you, but the G29 pedals are better and there’s one more of them.

Sometimes the G29 paddle shifters sound like the Popamatic from a game of Trouble.

The stick shifter is only important if you’d use it. I drive a manual in real life, but I use the paddles on everything in sim racing, so that wouldn’t be a draw for me.

If you were one step up the price chain into the serious wheels and choosing between two similar sets there then I’d point you at the one with the better pedals, but at this level I’d say the wheel is more important.

As a result I’d lean to the Thrustmaster but saving $100 is attractive too. I think provided you’ve never driven the other one either will be just fine because they’ll both be a step up on the Momo.

Also the T300 will allow you to swap the rims out. The G29 does not allow that. And Thrustmaster has a nice LC pedal set if you ever want to upgrade. The pedals are actually very reasonable at 200 bucks.

I bought the new MotoGP game and for the [n]th year in a row the braking is completely different from the previous iteration. Took me some time to get used to after how badly I abused the rear brakes in MGP20, but I think I’m there now.

The game looks really gorgeous now and just offers the best offline racing experience around. Also, a very realistic view on what riding Moto3 must be like in real life :

I wasn’t expecting to be mauled in that video.

There you were, minding your own business, listening to the high pitched fart of your Moto3 engine, when suddenly…

The sound is actually a little better this year, but there’s just not much you can do with a one cylinder engine to make it not sound like a cookie tin full of bees.

Learning the new bike control method has been a literal up and down experience…

found this game

it is a mix between sim and arcade. Pitstops, fuel consumption and tyre wear. If they make it that you can choose between soft/medium/hard tyres it would be even better.

Ok, I’m not going to buy MotoGP 2021, but you’ve convinced me that I should at least give MogoGP 20 a chance on Game Pass.

I can’t remember the one I played back in the day. I remember I still lived in Bellevue, WA back then, so it was the early 2000s. I think it was actually the original MotoGP on the original Xbox. It was one of the first games on the original Xbox Live.

The lines, angles and style through corners on a bike are totally different to (sim)racing a car, but once you get it, it really starts to flow and feel good. I hope you enjoy it. The games are just so good for single player racing.

Some tips for MGP20:

• Don’t use the suggested racing line option! It can be a good way to learn tracks you haven’t seen before, but it’s really quite bad in 20. It will teach you to brake too early and turn in way, way too late which are hard habits to break when you’re looking to get faster later.

• Do hammer the rear brake. In 21 I’m having to add a little bit of rear brake after I’m full on the front brakes to give me a fraction more stopping power. In 20 I frequently went 0-100% on front and rear at my braking points which made braking distances very short. Braking while leaning is also less dangerous in 20.

If you go into the quick event section on the main menu and pick time trial you can see the leaderboards for a track/bike combination and then you can challenge any time there. It’s a good way to see how other people tackle certain corners, although if you’re using connected brakes or brake modulation assists then it’s possible you just won’t be able to stop where they do. The leaderboard will tell you which physics options they were using.

Luck!

Scrolling through the community content for rider stickers on Moto GP 21 and came across this gem.

Fun times in Moto3.

In a practice race I came second by 0.000 seconds.

But I learned my lesson, because in the career race I came first by 0.000 seconds.

Today a new patch landed for MotoGP21 which brings the Red Bull Rookie bikes back to the game. That’s an even more Junior formula beneath Moto3 where all the bikes are identical. (And also sound like dry farts, @TimJames.)

ACC is free to play for the weekend and 60% off if you want to buy it.

It’s that time of year again in Raceroom.

This would be a great time to pick up some content packs and join my racing league.

I can’t tell what game that’s for. All of them?

-Tom

That’s a great point!

It’s for Raceroom Racing Experience. They usually put the name on the image and I should pay more attention.

Honest question: What does Raceroom bring to the table to someone who AC, ACC, and subbed to iRacing?

AC was my favorite for a long time, then ACC was my favorite based on I really like the feel of the cars and force feedback. I kept iRacing because of the massive multiplayer support (I’ve professed my love for multiplayer 6, 12, and 24hr races here before) but I also really like the recent iRacing tire changes.

What brings you back to Raceroom?

For me it’s their growing ranked multiplayer community, the imho great FFB, the car/track selection and general feel of most cars, which I really enjoy. I got all the main ones (AC,ACC,AMS2, iracing) except for rf2, and the last few months I’ve been gravitating very strongly towards raceroom.

Ranked multiplayer has a weekly schedule with a mix of servers running short 15 min races all day, some scheduled longer 30-60 min races every day and a weekly main event every Wednesday. The main event can be things like 3x20 min sprint races but more importantly also very often has endurance events that last from 90 min races up to 2.4h, which for me as an endurance lover is the main highlight of the game.

Here’s what those schedules looked like the last three weeks:

Now Humble is in with a big racing sale.

Yup, I’m totally getting this:

(I’m not, really)