Racing games - GTR, Race07, Rfactor, etc

New ACC DLC gives us COTA, Watkins Glen, and Indy. I’ll be buying!

Also steam sale makes AC ridiculously cheap if you have not gotten it or its DLCs. To me the best moddable sim out there.

If you’re in the market for a racing wheel, there are Prime Day deals that knock the Logitech G29 down to $190 from $399 US.

Deals are on in other markets too, but the saving varies.

Despite being namechecked in it, I just noticed this, sorry.

Our season is on-going - we’ve completed 6 of 11 races in Season 8 - but we’re always happy to admit people partway through. You don’t have to wait for Season 9.

Right now we’re running the Audi TT cars on Raceroom Racing Experience. They’re fun to bang doors in and they have a limited number of Push-to-Pass uses per race, which adds a tiny bit of strategy.

On 7/24 we’ll be racing the full Mid-Ohio layout and then at some point in August, (yet to be voted on), we have an hour-long Endurance race at the Red Bull Ring GP layout.

We also just re-started our Dirt Rally 2 league. Starting off relatively simply with limited damage and low powered cars while we onboard new drivers brought in by the Steam Sale, our current event started yesterday and you have two weeks to run four stages in Poland in the R5 cars.

Dirt Rally is asynchronous, so you just put in your stage times whenever works for you, provided it’s before the deadline.

If you’re interested (or anyone else is interested) just reach out and I’ll send the Slack channel details.

I’d say $190 is about what a G29 is worth. That is really old tech, but fine as a starter. I think I paid $225 for one (or maybe the very similar G27) years ago.

I upgraded from Logitech to
Thrustmaster TX with the Sparco wheel. Just checked the prices, WOW big inflation! $1000, I did not pay near that much! I take back what I said on the Logitech prices. Relative to the Logitech, this wheel has overall better FF and lacks the wobble the Logitechs have due to the gears. I’m Jonesing for a DD wheel however.
Fanatech pedals: got a set cheap that was barely used from a guy who was upgrading. Having a solid load-cell brake is a requirement for me now. My gas pedal has developed a small squeak I cannot get rid of that bothers people in the house, but not me because I have headphones on.

1,000 for a Thrustmaster? Might has well go with a Fanatec bundle as it would be better and cheaper. People are weird about the wheels. I’ve seen people paying more than list price on Ebay for stuff that is available on Fantec’s website…

Well lately Fanatec (among others) has been having issues keeping things stocked. It may be better this year.

I’m not sure how good the message notifications are on here, but I’ll drop a post here too for @Mr_Bismarck. Would love to join the league! Just need to know how. :)

(Other) League race tonight in the Formula Juniors on Automobilista 2. Guy in front of me got bumped onto the grass, hit a wall and fired stones right through my face.

If I had been in VR I might have screamed a little.

I replied with a Slack invitation - let me know if you have any problems with it.

face shield down!

I’ve never run an open wheel car, but we have a kart track with serious (not slow) karts. I’ve gotten pelted by debris when following carts that drop a wheel more than a few times.

All I’ve been doing since the new update landed to Automobilista 2 is run the new classic Spa layout in the vintage F1 cars.

Ripping through the forest with early morning mist burning off and sunlight poking through the trees is gorgeous enough to cause you to crash.

You make a great sales pitch as always. The view coming out of La Source is stunning! I might have to pass on this one, given that I finally fired up ACC after 4 years and I’m slowly working through one simple career.

Nice video though. It’s funny to see the AI drive side by side with each other the entire race. That must have been intense for them. Also funny to see someone who is good at sim racing and doesn’t panic when driving closely with other cars like I do. I would’ve yeeted off the track at least 10 times.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good wheel and pedal stand? I’d like to play GT7 online with my cousin on the PS5 out in the living room, so we’re talking very casual. It doesn’t need to be fancy. But I’d like to be able to jam on my load cell brake pedal without it sliding around or scratching my wood floors.

Something foldable or storable is a plus, and if it’s around 200 bucks that’d be great.

I have this. It’s super heavy though. So not something you want to move very far.

Amazon.com: GT Omega Steering Wheel Stand for Logitech G923 G29 G920 Thrustmaster T500 RS Force Feedback Gaming Wheel & TH8A Shifter Mount V1 - Fanatec Clubsport PS4 Xbox PC - Tilt-Adjustable : Video Games

I haven’t tried that SPA stuff yet. Hopefully I’ll have some time this weekend. Reminds me of Grand Prix Legends.

I went down the rabbit hole and now I’m thinking cockpit or bust. So probably bust.

Not sure how I’ll be able to play GT7 though. Move the PS5?

My PS5,Xbox and PC are all hooked to the same monitor. TVs are for losers. And my wife is always on the good TV.

So the Virtual 24 Hours of Le Mans suffered a meltdown over the weekend

Note: this site is affiliated with the event, and so downplays the problem. The simracing forums are on-fire with a smackdown on the rFactor2 failures.

This is a big deal as rFactor2 paid big money to acquire the rights to the 24hrs of Le Mans (shutting out iRacing and others from hosting events like it), AND there were big prizes on offer for the winners. Therefore big name drivers including Max Verstappen spent time practicing and then competing. Max is not a happy camper

My take: I really do not like when a single platform wraps up rights to an event like this. It stifles competition, and I like rF2. For it to wrap around and smack rfactor2 in the head is karma.

And a note for my simracing: Going to do another Daytona 24 on iRacing. Still very much enjoying the endurance events.

My thrustmaster t150 has a tendency to make jerky motions for no reason, sometimes on straightaways particularly when i apply a little bit of pressure or during a turn. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a bad wheel?

I’ve been having a blast on iRacing in VR. I haven’t ran an actual race yet, but have just been practicing against the AI on charlotte oval street stock cars. I did a practice session and raced against some real players and that was fun. Slowly improving my skills.

The spectator mode in iRacing in VR is fantastic.

Some amounts of force feedback jitter (what you call jerky) is the wheel transmitting bumps in the road. Some tracks are very smooth, others are very bumpy. On the very bumpy tracks it can actually move the wheel if your grip is not strong enough.

If I were trying to see if it was the wheel vs the track, I have different sims so I’d test my wheel with some different sims (iRacing vs ACC for example).

Another option is your FF settings are off. Here is a guide for iRacing FF you can check. iRacing Force Feedback Setup Guide - Driver61.