Rage 2 - Bethesda and Avalanche witness me

Spring 2019

Look like a 75% Avalanche game, using id IP and in first person this time. But dunno, they barely showed real gameplay of the combat, and wide open world! is usually a bad idea from the point of view of a FPS game.

Yup. I’m still in wait and see mode on this. I think Avalanche made a pretty good (not great) Mad Max game, but I’m still not convinced they have the necessary skills to make a really cracking FPS.

Far Cry 5 waves from atop its pile of money. : )

Well, the trailer gave me the vibe it’s going to be like Mad Max or Just Cause, very big open world with focus on vehicles.

It’s definitely possible to throw in too many virtual square miles to enjoyably traverse but I think Avalanche is up to the job.

I just watched that trailer with no sound.

Wow! That looks incredible. There are definitely not enough first person open world games out there.

I love the moments in the trailer where you’re going up against lots of enemies, and using some kind of telekinesis or something to push people and jump in the air.

P.S. I don’t understand the name of the thread. Bethesda and Avalanche witness me? What does that mean?

FFS go watch Mad Max Fury Road right now.

Thanks for the reference. I still don’t remember the line. The only line I remember is when the guy fails to get into the truck and falls off, and the leader says “mediocre”.

“Witness me!” is said four or five times in the movie. It’s a three-beat for Hoult’s character.

By coincidence, today is the 3 year anniversary of the release of the movie. That’s when I saw it, so my memory is a bit hazy on the details.

Man we’re you half asleep? They say Witness Me multiple times, it’s core to the WarBoys and Nux’s character arc.

Looks shiny and chrome.

Open world. :(

Graphically stunning though, am I right guys?

I don’t know about that, but it definitely looks visually stunning. I was visually stunned.

I wasn’t super enthused. Very in your face but nothing that would actually stand out. The beautiful concept art-like look of the original is gone too :(

I find these 7 years old screens more appealing than anything in this trailer.

GO WATCH IT AGAIN RIGHT NOW.

Bits I love:

1:00 firing various weapons, and then killing an enemy, and he keeps firing at him, pushing his ragdolling body, juggling it in the air. I know he’s already dead, but man, that sort of thing is so much fun.

1:13 - Using the telekinesis or grenade to launch yourself in the air as you gun down enemies.

1:19 - That boomerang weapon thing is back!

1:22 - Flipping the car horizontally, and the camera sticks with you, wow, that looks fun.

1:24 and 1:36 - Looks like when you jump in the air and are coming down at an enemy, you can punch them as you’re going down towards them.

If you shoot an enemy in the dick, does it reach down to grab its crotch in pain at suddenly being dickless? Does the player’s POV zoom in on his floppy dong flying comically through the air? And then does the player’s avatar make a clever quip, something like “Yo! You just got shot in the dick!”

I shall accept nothing less.