Rage 2 - Bethesda and Avalanche witness me

According to a few posts on Resetera, while the Steam version of Rage 2 uses Denuvo, the version straight from Bethesda was uploaded without any protection! I wonder if people will be able to just swap exe files?

Clearly this sneaky move was done on the sly to induce people to use their shop!

I just played an hour to test my updated streaming settings and had a grand old time. Found a couple more arcs, took out some fuel depot and killed a LOT. Pretty happy so far, haven’t even touched the main missions yet.

Is there any aerial or environmental destruction stuff in the game?

I typically enjoy Avalanche’s stuff regardless of lukewarm reception so will probably grab it at some point soon.

There are fuel tanks to blow up and sometimes your car knocks rocks around.

Ah, so a little less than Just Cause 4 then eh? Thanks… I think. :)

This really defeats the purpose… if Denuvo is meant to stop 0-day cracks, won’t pirates just use the non-Denuvo version? :P

And look, a pirate version is released already! It used “Protection : Custom”

Pre-ordered via GMG thus I received a Bethesda key. Works fine, and I guess I don’t have the Denuvo?

I haven’t had much time to play, but I will echo the earlier comment that the textures in Ultra, are bland. Considering the hallmark of Rage was the rich, and varied megatexture feature, it’s a bit of a bummer that the early game seems so uninspiring, visually.

That positive review that Mr. Lordkosc linked to early on specifically mentioned that the starting area of the game had the worst textures in the game.

I think I will wait…

Yes, it is indeed a good thing that Origin, Steam, GOG, Epic are offering refunds. No need to be snarkhole about it.

Hah. Right, Zenimax. We have both malice AND incompetence :)

I’m having a lot of fun with this. I’m many hours in (game time says 16 hours, steam says 20, maybe deaths account for some of the difference, it says I’ve died 63 times) and the various upgrades have turned me into a situational badass. Nightmare difficulty feels pretty perfect. When I started, I had to do a lot of hiding and careful shooting. Now, I can run into bandit camps and open a can of whoop ass. There are still a lot of enemies that I cannot do this with, and may never be able to, but that’s good.

The boss fights have been fun and there is a lot of light flavor with NPCs and data pads you pick up. I’m not sure where I am in the story, but I’ve been ignoring it mostly.

Not that the game is perfect. Lighting and textures just don’t look right in many instances (on Ultra even). The jarring message when you finish an objective (you see it at the end of the clip below) or open some chests really shouldn’t be there (requires me to press ENTER to continue). I find the flicker in the UI notifications annoying and the notifications in general are just too big. The voice overs sometimes don’t happen (I had to turn on subtitles).

The wasteland itself isn’t barren, but it also isn’t dangerous. It seems the inhabitants are just more interested in doing what they are doing rather than me. There are fights going on all over the place, and it seems that more is going on later in the game (that could be different locations, I’m not sure). You can join into any of the fights that are going on, but they don’t really come after you if you don’t engage. This really hasn’t been an issue for me, as there are so many locations to clear, that I’ve basically used it as a breather between locations.

If you are interested, here is a clip of me clearing a bandit camp using a shotgun and some of the various skill you pick up. Some of the skills really encourage this style of play (I don’t have all of them yet).

Well that looks fun. Where is the shotgun, if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve not found it yet.

You’ll get it from the first story mission for Marshall.

Seems like more players are enjoying this than not (compared to mediocre reception by influencers). Does this game perhaps qualify as an underrated game worthy of reconsideration for purchase?

Awesome, thanks!

That clip reminds me strongly of the latest Doom. I mean, it’s like Doom reskinned. Good or bad, that depends on how one found Doom I guess.

Yes, the gunplay and movement feels good. That matters a lot.

This is really good, overall. I have a few lesser qualms.

• The default keybindings are a mess IMO. I moved focus to my mouse thumb button. Having it on Ctrl is insane. I’m sure that will work for some poeople but holy shit it was crushing my hand.

• The melee range is pitiful for purposes of breaking crates. Or the crate hit boxen are absurdly small. This drove me crazy early and often. I just shoot crates now because fuck that noise.

• The Defib is dumb.

• The inventory/etc ui needs a bit of tweaking. I couldn’t figure out how to upgrade my weapon levels after doing it once early in the game (I think via prompting/tutorial). It was because you can’t click on the next level, you have to arrow down to it. This was totally bewildering to me.

• Nobody playing on a PC is using the fucking enter key to do anything on the UI. I don’t know why they didn’t put [Space] in the prompts instead (which works by default).

• Can’t mass-harvest blue stuff from Meteors? Really? What the fuck.

Otherwise this is a ton of fun. Much better than Doom IMO (but then I liked Shadow Warrior 2 more than Doom so there you go). The many upgrade paths are great. The guns feel great. I love exploring the world. I don’t think the game is poorer for not having the “Far Cry base takeover” aspects, which I always felt were a little overrated. Or maybe I should say that I would take the tight shooting and mechanics of this game over that mechanic every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

It could use a little more enemy variety maybe. Oh and controlling the vehicles via mouse and keyboard is difficult for me. I guess I’m used to using a controller for third person driving. I over turn/correct a lot.

*ERROR* Does not compute *ERROR* Does not compute *ERROR*