Rage 2 - Bethesda and Avalanche witness me

I wonder if some of this is patchable. Maybe event spawns or enemy vehicle aggressiveness are easy tweaks for the open world. Seems like the crate hitbox should be.

You would think so. Lets see what the first patch will look like, I hope they know if they get the few complaints fixed up, they have a decent game here. And that it can have a long tail in terms of sales up through all the planned DLC into winter.

I just want to be a part of the thread where we finally have a multiplatform game brazen enough to use the ctrl key to mimic holding down some gamepad button.

I’ve been rolling my eyes at button-based interfaces since the modern console port era, but this seems like new territory in lazy PC UI design.

Right, this seems like it should be the nadir. But you never know!

Quick random impressions:

I really dig the dungeon lighting. It’s got a strong Unreal 1 vibe that pushes all the right buttons for me.

I love shattering enemy armor and hearing/watching the pieces fly off. I melee a ton, and it’s just great punching helmets off etc.

Enemy animations and variety of attack moves are cool (wall running, batting grenades, leap attacks, etc).

The Wingstick thing is 100x more fun to upgrade and use than in Rage 1.

Not sure how I feel about seeing bad guys through walls (with Focus) in a first person shooter. I guess I could just not use it, but more likely to just keep abusing it.

Lots of audio bugs and crashes on my Xbox One X. Especially in derbies and certain other car races, the music will fade out and then I’m just stuck listening to an engine noise which persists whether I save the game and exit to the main menu or whatever else. And there’s been a few lockups here and there.

I’m not a fan of the way the save system works through its checkpoints, even if I force to save it will not save my weapon and suit upgrades unless I pass another checkpoint with them. I can’t just apply the upgrades and then save right there if I’m in the middle of a certain type of Arena event. It makes it so that if I’m about to fight a boss and I’m able to apply some upgrades here and there or respec my weapon specializations, then I’ll have to do this every single time I reload a save if I die or something. That’s too fiddly for me.

This game has some fantastic looking scenery, and in my opinion it’s got the best looking toxic water pits I’ve ever seen in a game. There’s some rusty blood colored sewage water people are sifting through in certain parts of the game that just looks absolutely rancid and terrible to touch or be anywhere near. It’s totally gross and fantastic.

The running slide seems really clunky, but I haven’t upgraded it yet so maybe it gets a lot better after I have.

Bizzare how the game has 43% deadzone with controller which makes it extremely clunky and for me nigh unplayable yet almost nobody complains about it.

Mouse controls are good though. Still, I uninstalled it after few hours, it needs patches and I wasn’t that thrilled with it.

In depth comparison video.

I clicked through that but Rage 1 did kind of look… better? Maybe?

From a distance, mega-textures allowed Rage 1 to look like moving concept art. Although the game world was completely static it sure was gorgeous to look at.

No idea how to embed OneDrive Xbox captures, but here’s a great video of me on my first Rage 2 motorcycle ride. The fun starts at 7 seconds.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqtzlB_xpGgwZ9XO4L8RIr3WbXg

That’s like my driving in most games.

You would think almost 8-9 years later the digital market place must make up for at least 50% of physical sale units today. No?

I am pretty far into this now. Have all the guns and powers.

I’m not overly fond of the guns past the Rocket Launcher. The Hellstorm Revolver is nice because it doesn’t really care about armor, but I only use it occasionally (I’m trying to use it more often for funsies). I find the weird “manage the heat plasma gun” unwieldy to use. The Charged cannon is ok, but it doesn’t feel like it’s much better against armor than the assault rifle or shotgun. I’m. . . missing one? I can’t think of what the other one is.

But the guns in the game are in a weird place because the game basically wants you to play it mostly inside shotgun range so you can force strike/force slam between shooting stuff and maybe “dropping” the occasional grenade. This works great with the normal refolver, the AR, and especially the shotgun (less so the hellfire because it only gets six shots and even with fast reload that’s a lot of downtime). The Rocket Launcher is really your sniping/soften up a group/remove an especially difficult target/deal with something big gun. But it doesn’t feel like it works well with the hyperplasmaheatgun or the charged cannon thingy. It doesn’t bother me much because I quite like the regular guns and playing the game mostly darting between close and medium range is very fun.

No idea. It’s doing ok on Steam right now, not great. I assume it’s on track to make money but not be anywhere near the mega hit someone was hoping for.

Poor someone…

I had very similar opinion to @peacedog on the guns. The one you were missing was the grav dart, which I never used outside the tutorial for it. I’m sure I used the shotgun for 85% of the game. But the skills are so good/fun that it just made sense to use it. I did use the hellfire quite a bit, mainly against the immortals.

It doesn’t seem to be doing that well on Steam. It has a 57% mixed rating without any major controversy accompanying it that could impact the reception (unless we count the pre-order exclusive weapons) and it’s already out of the top ten global sellers. Forbes contributor Paul Tassi is officially redeemed!

Ahh right, thanks!

In very limited trials (the grav dart gun was the last one I got) I liked it better than I thought I would because it seemed like it was more effective for dealing with armor than I had expected. But it’s another one of those fancy “use RMB to do things to make it work” guns and I don’t feel like the core gameplay really favors that sort of thing much outside of the Revolver, which has a very simple and clean RMB mehcanic. Maybe I shoiuld switch that one to a larger clip upgrade. . . (if it’s possible). It really does shred armor users well.

Although this probably means the grav dart gun is good from a distance, since it only takes a couple of darts to get kills it seems like.

I like the open world in the game. I do think it could have been more interesting (with enemies doing more than occasionally taking a rando pot shot at you, but I wouldn’t want to be constantly drawn into encounters either) but I really enjoyed the exploration. And the game could use a few more enemy types, perhaps.

Especially with the outrageous Antipodean regional pricing we both have to deal with. I still buy a few games each year day one, but only if I can track down a decently discounted key pre-release.

Rage was breathtaking at the macro level, but all of the textures were pretty blurry and unremarkable up close. It didn’t help that they completely dropped the ball on support for AMD cards, which caused the “macrotexture” tech the game used to basically not work properly, and everything was blurry all the time as a result, unless you modified the game’s INI files.