Railway Empire - Railroad Tycoon from Kalypso

Yeah start over. They added some stuff from the beta. Also Free Mode is really great!

Damn I should have got an achievement for this. When placing my station in Nofolk, the entire city got deleted. Usually the city re-positions itself around the station. :D

Finished up chapter 2 , this game really has me addicted.

1 competitor bought out!

Baltimore is mine!

The wait for them last few people…

Many routes!

Also don’t forget there are two research trees!

I was speaking with someone who beat the game in under 10 hours and had the achievements to show for it. That appears to be a paltry amount of content for the price, especially with no randomization on maps.

Not sure what he means by “beat the game”? It’s not an RPG where once you play through a story it’s essentially over. If he means he finished the campaign then that is only part of the game. In addition to the 5 parts of the campaign, there are 11 scenarios and 35 free mode starting choices that start in different eras. Pretty sure you get different tasks each time you play in free mode so that offers lots of replayability. Not sure if scenarios also offer different tasks or not.

It’s true there is no random map generation, but it would be rather odd to see Baltimore on the west coast. ;) I guess a procedurally generated map would be interesting, but I don’t see that happening.

Edit - And as stated in the post below mine there is sandbox mode too. There is no AI, and no tasks AFAIK, in sandbox mode so it’s more about just building track and running trains.

Really? I am at 5 hours and just finished chapter 2.

The 3 chapters I have remaining to be longer than 5 hours combined.

Maybe he is a pro at train games? Also while the maps are not randomized in terms of city placement. Resources on the map may only be good in certain time periods. Such as OIL and GAS and CARS are only in the 1920 time period.

Past the main campaign there is a TON of stuff to do from what I can see.

Campaign:

Scenarios:

Free Mode:

Sandbox:

Messed around in sandbox mode, decided to bridge the grand canyon. :p

I found the general area where @tomchick lives, seems a bit under-developed over there on the west coast.

He won the campaign and that is awfully short for any strategy-based game.

So help me better understand what additional content there is. What is the difference between a scenario and free mode? Or what is the difference between free mode and sandbox mode?

4 different game-modes:
→ 5 chapters in the campaign → 10 challenges per chapter → 50 challenges in the singleplayer-campaign
→ 11 scenarios → 10 challenges per scenario → 110 challenges altogether
→ Free Mode (customizable starting conditions (era, region, number of opponents, starting budget, etc…)) → 10 random challenges per game
→ Sandbox Mode (for Games without pressure from time/opponents/money)

Also for some of these modes you can select your character from the 6 that are in game, each offers different bonuses.

Info in the FAQ on Steam:

A few scenario screenshots:

Characters screenshots, to see their bonuses:

[quote=“lordkosc, post:188, topic:128776, full:true”]
4 different game-modes:

-> 5 chapters in the campaign -> 10 challenges per chapter -> 50 challenges in the singleplayer-campaign

-> 11 scenarios -> 10 challenges per scenario -> 110 challenges altogether

-> Free Mode (customizable starting conditions (era, region, number of opponents, starting budget, etc…)) -> 10 random challenges per game

-> Sandbox Mode (for Games without pressure from time/opponents/money)

Also for some of these modes you can select your character from the 6 that are in game, each offers different bonuses.[/quote]

Thank you.

It sounds like a scenario is equivalent to a chapter in the campaign. If true then the scenarios would take 22 hours if the campaign takes 10. Without any kind of randomization of the maps I would believe that replay value is limited, especially if the free mode maps take place on the same maps as the chapters or scenarios.

I am sure I will eventually purchase this but at this stage it is difficult to understand whether the value / longevity is there. RRT2 had it because the resources & city sizes were somewhat randomized and some maps were huge. So playing the same map was not a problem because the only thing that was the same was the terrain. The strategy of approaching that map was always going to be different but that does not seem to be the case in RE if the maps, cities and resources are static no matter the mode or the difficulty level.

Cities are not static in population and will grow if you provide them with the goods they need. So a city starts out needing a few things (such as corn, meat, beer) and as it grows it will need other things (such as paper, iron ore, furniture). There are 22 resource in all.

I guess each scenario is roughly equivalent to a campaign chapter. Also, as mentioned above there is free mode play where the tasks will vary each time you play, but yes they take place on the same map of a part of the US. You can not play on the whole map of the US at once and AFAIK there are no plans to add that feature.

I bough the game from Green Man Gaming during the beta with a coupon so it cost me $32. I can see myself easily getting 32 hours or more from the game so that comes out to about $1/ hour. Cheap entertainment if you ask me, but YMMV of course.

Edit - I recommend watching some of Adekyn’s Youtube videos for a good look at how the game plays.

Track layout 101 from Adekyn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShcR4XmL0Yg

Some big news from the devs:

Railway Empire - North American map and more
Greetings tycoons!

It’s been a whole week since the hugely successful launch of Railway Empire, and while the game has received very positive reviews from the media and consumers alike, we want to further improve on this foundation with all the great feedback we have received so far, along with some things that we were already working on.

With that in mind, we are happy to announce that we are currently working on the following:
Available in ‘free mode’, we will introduce one huge North American map covering West to East coast, including a tech-tree covering all the tech innovations from almost 100 years of the steam revolution.
A roadmap of further free updates, which will include new content, enhanced AI, bug fixes and other general improvements inspired directly by player feedback.

Players will see these new updates begin to roll out over the next couple of months, and in the meantime we will continue to collect your feedback and reports, working to implement them wherever possible.
Stay tuned for more details coming soon!

That is awesome, we will finally be able to build a real transcontinental railroad!

Manifest Destiny!

Urge to wait is getting weaker. Damn there are too many good / anticipated games in the first half of 2018!

@lordkosc, your praise of this makes it hard to resist. You didn’t let me down with Aven Colony. But then again there was Anno 2205 … :-)

You just aren’t hardcore enough for Anno 2205! ;)

I had planned to hop on this game but now Subnautica has my attention. Maybe with all these planned updates and patches, it’s just as well to wait eh?

I’ve been playing this game today and I’ve come to the conclusion that this game is a Transport Fever (TF) lite. The track laying is the same except that you actually have more control with TF. Railway Empire (RE) doesn’t have the micromanagement that TF has which can be a good thing. In RE all raw material is shipped to cities where it is consumed either by people or a factory. Factories create goods that can be consumed by the people in the city or shipped to another city. You have no control over that, if the people in city A want the good being made then whats left over gets shipped out. In TF you have a supply chain. For example, you have logs shipped to a saw mill and turned into planks. Then you can ship some of the planks to a city and they will be used to help that city expand or you can ship the planks to a factory and it will be combined with something to create a finished good that then gets shipped to a city. All raw materials, mills and factories in TF are placed on the map at the beginning of the game and they are random. Maps in RE are fixed and don’t change and the maps in TF are seed based. Use the same seed and you get the same map every time. RE only uses trains and invisible wagons, TF all modes of transport are controlled by you and these modes are wagons, trolleys, trains, boats and planes. I like RE streamlining, but I wish it had more of TF’s content. Both are good games and if you like a more streamline railroad game then RE is the game for you. However if you like more control, choices and micromanagement then TF is the game for you.

New update: http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=503940

Damn, X-crossings are so far away on that roadmap.

Finished chapter 3 , the Mississippi has been bridged!

Love the view in this game…

I liked that in this chapter, I had to get logs from a logging camp to a town, set up my own lumber mill in that town to make logs into lumber, then send that lumber to where the bridge was needed. :)