Railway Empire - Railroad Tycoon from Kalypso

Transport Fever does this in an abstract way too.

Thanks. I’ll have to check that out.

Goods do get supplied to cities on the map automatically, via wagon. But the cities will take forever to grow. The overview screens show you where supply and demand are needed. So you can set up train routes that will make a profit. :)

See , no trains but wheat still be sent to the cities!

Another location where I have trains set up, production is up at the wheat farm, and cities are getting demand met.

This farm is sending 100% of its sugar to Washington via wagon.

This logging camp is sending almost 55% of its output by train now. And so it produces more since demand in cities is high.

The game has city charts showing demand, which is affected by population. Some goods are not wanted at all yet.

Also I found Native Americans!

Been mostly messing around on the East Coast, map sizes are satisfactory. :p

8 hours so far spent with this game, still on the good side of the chick parabola.

Nice. This might work for me. And it’s always good to see lots of graphs in any business game.

I’ve only seen it at $42 on GMG. Is there a coupon somewhere?

I checked and the GMG coupon is gone now.

Seems Humble has it for $38 if you are monthly subscriber.

GMG’s VIP coupon expired yesterday, unfortunately.

Its still $42.49 on Steam. Just fyi.

Native Americas cool.

One of the unfortunate design choices the designer made is to make the game unpausable. I am guessing the reason was to make the AI more competitive

Before, you all groan WTH. They changed during the Beta and pausing is allowed. There are now 3 levels, no pause, pause when building tracks and putting in new stations., and pause anytime but hurt your score. But the default is pause only when laying track and new stations. Consequently, while there are a lot of info screens, I have not really spent a lot of time looking at the info screens. Because busy trying to get new trains running or debugging the clusterfuck of screwed up signals.

But I have to say to game designers out there don’t penalize newbies for pausing when you are trying to teach them complex systems.

Since I couldn’t care less about score, that’s good news.

Railway Empire is currently available at GOG.com as a pre-order for $39.99 U.S.

Back down to $32ish @ GMG, use code BLUE25.

Thank you, just bought it for $31.87 with code.

This game needs a restart scenario button somewhere. Also Im not sure if this is a bug or not but, while i was looking for a way to restart act 2 i clicked on the campaign button again and the first act was grey like i had not completed it. Then i finished act two and dropped me to the campaign map and act 2 was showing completed but locked and act 1 was still not completed. I know you can do only the first 2 acts of the campaign but this seems wierd.

Some of the Steam reviews mention one has to manually adjust signals during the entire game in real time to keep trains moving as opposed to having them work on their own if you set them up correctly to handle bits of track and routing. Is this true or have they not fully understood the mechanism. In Transport Fever you can setup quite complex routing via signals and if you do it right you don’t need to keep messing with them unless you make big changes to your rail network.

I’ve always been intrigued by Transport Fever, but it never really seemed to gain traction around here.

From my limited play so far, about 6 hours, I have not found a big need to adjust signals, certainly not constantly. If you add spur lines with crossovers to main lines then you will have to add a signal or two to make sure the trains stay on the proper side. Never played Transport Fever but Railway Empire sounds more like that to me than any sort of constant signal management.

I finally got the hang of signals after a few hours of messing around in free play mode. Once they are set up properly you should be good to go.

The link for the signal guide I posed a few day ago worked like magic.

Just played around with the tutorial, signals have me really confused so I am going to have to use the guide you posted. They aren’t very intuitive, at least not for me, I quickly had a mess where trains were stopped and I couldn’t see why. One thing, stations don’t count as a signal I guess?

No manual I see, that’s kind of disappointing.

Stations do have a signal, so once a train enters, the track behind and in front of it is clear for another train to head to that station as long as there is a open station slot for it.