Random anniversaries (that are interesting)

29 years ago today the Berlin wall came down.

My kids with a chunk of the Wall at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO.

Cool picture! I wonder how many different Wall chunks are at unexpected places around the world. Quite a few, I expect, although that one is likely larger than most.

Also, I was born there! At Ft Leonard Wood, not the wall. And well before there were any wall chunks on base!

Cool! I assume they called it “Fort Lost in the Woods” back then too?

You’d have to ask my dad. I don’t remember much, being about 2 months old when my parents left for civilian life!

Hey, my dad was stationed at Ft Leonard Wood and I lived there for… maybe 2 years… back in, uh, the 60s??? Holy cow, I am old

On Nov 10 1969, Sesame Street debuted. Here’s a tweet from last year including a clip from that first episode:

My wife informed me that this weekend marks the 50th anniversary of Kristallnacht.

Never Again!

Audio of the end of WW1

As we approach the centenary of the Armistice on November 11, the Imperial War Museum has released a recording of the moment the war ended, patched together using recordings from their collections.

I’m pretty sure it’s not the 50th anniversary of Kristallnacht. Probably meant 80th.

Correct. Brain fart.

100 years ago on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month:

Nov 11ths happened before there was a Great War, too. Big day in maths, as Leibniz demonstrated integral calculus (as you can see here, if you’re @Dave_Perkins and like all the details). The rest of us are likely more entertained by the Newton-Leibniz controversy which continues to cause strife among math historians to this day.

It’s my anniversary 8th year today… oh that might not be interesting. Nevermind.

Thank you! We are celebrating by having my parents watch the kids and us sleeping because last nigh, my 4 year old was up all night because of her cold.

We went to a wonderful wedding this weekend that was few hours away. The wedding was well done, with vans to shuttle people to and from the recommended (inexpansive but nice) hotel, and the parents had a brunch in the morning.

These were work friends that my wife made while living in NJ, and the whole group of them still keep in touch.

It’s Put on Your Own Shoes Day. No, really.

There really is a day for everything.

I’m sure no one needs a reminder of today’s anniversary, but I’ll post it anyway…