Random thought thread!

I used to sell stuff door to door as a kid (man I hated doing that) and I always used the sidewalks because I didn’t want to piss off a prospective buyer.

Mostly that is how I rolled, but the temptation of the shorter path sometimes won out.

It’s weird to think that it’s somehow better to walk on concrete than Mother Earth. Dang.

You ever have a neighbor who really is that old guy who yells “get of my lawn”? Those guys spend hours making sure there no weeds and that everything is trimmed just right. That’s why they hate people that do it.

I would probably be that way except I can’t get the weeds out of my lawn so people walking on it can only improve the way it looks.

I’ve long considered just paving my lawn and putting in basketball goals. No mowing AND it keeps the neighborhood kids happy, so less vandalism!

Hell, about 20 years ago, I was that guy. That would have put me in my 30’s at the time.

The neighbor kids were constantly using my yard as a short-cut to the next street over, since their own yard was fenced.
One evening, I had finally had enough of the screaming as they tore through.

So I cursed, ran outside, and yelled, “Get the f**k off my lawn!”

They froze in their tracks, and turned and looked at me, shocked. These were my neighbors for chrissake.

I felt suddenly ashamed. “Did I just say that?” I said. “I can’t believe I just said that. Never mind. Carry on.”

When I was a kid back in the stone age, we cut through all the time. To get to grade school I had to walk up the street, walk two blocks, and then back up that street to get to school. But that was too long walking up the street to the corner. So I just cut through and made a beeline to get to school. Pretty sure I could do it in five minutes if I ran. I had to cut through I think six yards and climb a fence now and then, depending on which route I wanted to take.

There was a grumpy old man who would yell at us so it was always daring to try his yard. Most of the time we didn’t. Rumor was he had gun he loaded with rock salt or something like that and would use it. He probably did firing at squirrels or even dogs, but probably not kids. He was the bogey-man.

I laughed.

I do the same. The ubiquity of cell phones, Facebook, caller ID, and near-constant communication means that I should always know who is coming to my house or calling me. This wouldn’t have been very fair in, say, the 90’s or early 2000’s, because it’d be totally legitimate for people to just stop by if they were in the area or whatever. But now? There’s no reason not to call or text first. Therefore, I don’t answer the door if I’m not expecting anyone.

Is there a name for that trope where, in a TV series, a long-hated character is suddenly made relatable or likeable for the very first time in one episode and then gets killed off at the very end of that same episode?

Like this?

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeelFaceTurn

I love stuff that originates in Kayfabe and Wrestling terminology. Not a wrestling maniac, but that stuff just kills me.

Here ya go.

Awesomeness. And you are right. You only do a Heel-Face Turn if you want the Heel to have audience sympathy. For whatever reason (in terms of plot advancement).

Darth Vader in RoTJ. Ultimate Heel-Face Turn.

So I sat here tonight, playing Twilight Struggle. And in my mind, I sang:

“A little ditty, ‘bout Iraq and Iran. Two Middle Eastern states doin’ the best. They. Can.”

I don’t find orange people very attractive, but becoming orange seems to be the default modus operandi for everyone…

I’m going to kill my neighbor’s dog for barking too much every time anyone or a car goes by.

Edit: I’m going to cover the solar panel of my neighbor’s solar powered motion-detect bark-noise-making device, which she has installed in her flower bed to scare away the rabbits, which dig and eat her flowers. It’s not that loud, but it’s annoying and I like the rabbits.