Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen (Kickstarter) D&D 3.5E Turn-Based RPG

Okay, this popped on my news feed this morning and it looks like something that could turn out to be very cool. It’s up on Kickstarter, so I’ll let them sell it. But if you are one that likes games like Pathfinder or Pillars of Eternity but wishes they were turn-based, check this out.

I am very excited, this looks like it could be amazing, potentially.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Finally, turn-based!

I feel like the trip back to pure 3.5 is going to be even more painful than Pathfinder has been (Oh, Lord Gaben, deliver unto us a proper 4E digital adaptation), but the addition of hex-based combat will at least smooth it out a little bit. I will admit that bit got me excited.

I also wanna dig into their world a little more. Their descriptions of the races in that part of the blurb were a little annoying as a guy who sort of hates the tendency toward bland, monolithic cultures in fantasy/scifi settings. And I mean, I spent enough time fleshing out my own post-apocalyptic fantasy setting that picking up the pieces 50 years after a Great Cataclysm doesn’t exactly thrill me to my core. . . but if they’re actually doing some interesting/unique stuff with the world background, my interest shoots up a lot (hell, for all the ways it bugged me, I really loved that about Pillars, which felt genuinely weird in a good way).

All that said, I’m almost certainly still gonna back it :)

I’m not super into backing videogame Kickstarters at this point - of all the stuff I’ve backed they’ve had the lowest rate of success and the least value for having participated in the project. That said, proper tactical turn-based combat and a fantasy post-apocalypse do seem like they deserve a bit of my money. We’ll see if any red flags crop up before the end of the campaign.

I backed this the instant I saw it in the Kickstarter thread.

This thread made me go check in on Knights of the Chalice 2 and it looks like the one man band has been making slow and steady progress, including a Kickstarter planned for November (which I will back the instant it shows up)

Lord hear our prayer.

Jeebus, I just got an involuntary flashback-shudder to the approximately 1000 Masses of my childhood.

I just had to attend a funeral mass last week for the first time in 20 years and experienced the same thing in full stereo sound, so I know exactly what you are talking about.

And peace be with you, @Gendal of the 4E Brethren :)

(But more seriously, sorry to hear about the loss)

They still had early bird pledges open, so even though I’m a bit dubious, I backed it.

Bullet point of interest for @Telefrog.

I backed, of course.

That was my thinking also.

Gaaaaaaaah!

You bastard, you took my spot! :P

Wow, I just barely made it in, nice!

I was hip enough to find this yesterday and get a super-earlybird slot.

Wow, looks like a dream come true. Ill back this for sure.

26 minute gameplay (so far, contigous gameplay of what looks like a level 7 party that was ambushed by a random encounter).

For a super, super early alpha with place holder UI, this looks very good.

In fact, I hope they keep that spell selection interface, I like it, and I love the icons.

Supposedly this will get released with a modding kit. Hopefully you can do non-fantasy d20 projects too. (Though I can’t commit to any work right now.)

Just saw this on RPG Watch. Make of it what you will.

https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41129

I can’t see that link as I am not logged in at RPG Watch. What does it say?

Edit: you mean the speculation about Wizards shutting it down? won’t be a problem as long as they follow the OGL. It’s not the first d20 OGL game.