Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

It’s quite something to launch into space to the sound of Yoko Kanno’s Tank! (the title theme of Cowboy Bebop) or Piano Black.

Improved Target Tracking System - goes back to Wing Commander days

I dont think I’ll ever let go of my sonora. I like her cargo hold, firepower and externals. Her cockpit… well I have to admit I liked the platypus’ better. The way it would smoke and spark and Junos hands banging on the panels.

I might upgrade to the coyote when I’m done scrounging.

This game, its just perfect. I have only just begun and I want more of it. More ship types, more places, more things to bolt onto the ships.

But you take some time to bask Travis, you damn well earned it!

Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound. Missile Inbound.

Isn’t as much fun as Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

When the enemies start kicking your ass, you’ll want to move up to the truck. I thought I’d stay in the Sonora a lot longer but I couldn’t hack it against the baddies in that after a while.

@Tman - the radar is a pity. Because they wanted to emulate old CRT, the radar screen isn’t great and you can barely make out some of the different colors. I can rarely suss out the green blip and have to go to the tactical screen to pick out items (I’m not color blind).

In fact, I may be in minority but I don’t care for the art direction. I’d rather have crisp, clear visuals because it is too hard to really absorb then excellent art even though I’ve got an excellent computer and amazing monitor. Maybe I will need to hook up steamlink and try it on my 65" 4k TV. I was glad to leave my late 80’s early 90’s CRT gaming behind. Not sure I wanted to relive it in modern games…

I’ll live with it cause everything else about RGO is fantastic.

Uh…

I agree with your sentiments. The low res HUD is such a jarring experience for me. The HUD of the original Rebel Galaxy was great. The current one is way too busy without the functionality.

But I think Outlaw is awesome in conveying the sense of progression, I find myself doing the missions over and over again just to earn that extra dough that I imagine I’ll need.

I loved rebel galaxy, it was fresh, fun and clever, and you got to see the action so well. Plenty of ships and ways to customize and play the game the way you wanted.

When I excited into the fray here, I was confused, I was pummeled, no maneuvers would change that the enemy hit me constantly, and there was no way to retreat while still being able to return fire, either you killed them quick or you die.

You are shooting small dots on the map too, so mostly you suffer the cockpit ,and outside view helped only somewhat.

I bet I can learn and get used to some of this, but Compared to the balls to the walls combat of their other game, this doesn’t deliver but I’ll give it a go.

It does deliver. It delivers in spades. Have you tried autopursuit yet?

Just finished playing and taking on some high risk combat missions - these are almost trivial in my fighter ship (I forget the name, the first light fighter with 4 hard points). I have the best shields this class of ship can buy, the best hull armor plating, three auto-cannons backed with a Tachyon gun, cyclic burner and swarm launcher. It’s a beast.

Sandhawk. So fun to fly.

Maybe try deleting the RebelGalaxyEGS.exe file and then doing a verify?

I think the 1.28Gb patch is for the Australian voice/audio pack.

The audible use of the world Crikey is used by the main player character more often. :)

Good deal!

If the character goes “what a BEAUTY!!!” every time a ship flies by, then I’m using this pack.

[concourse]
[bar]
[talk to bartender]
“Oi, mate!”
“Hullo! What would ya say to a tube of neck oil?”
“I wouldn’t say no!”

This matches up with my initial impressions. Janky retro graphics, jarringly loud SFX, and enemies that are just tiny dots tearing around the screen like a housefly on methamphetamine. Judging just by the combat, not the minigames or cutscenes, I feel like this game probably supports EGA graphics.

Now I do love the minigames and I suspect I can learn to get past the graphics so I’m not writing this game off yet, but it doesn’t give the greatest out-of-the-box experience to a new player.

OK I have finally managed to figure it out!

@Janster. All I have to do in combat is to point my ship in the general direction of a RED dot. Then press and hold (LT) and then when the sights align, press (RT) to fire.

@tbaldree is a genius for setting it up this way, it really makes combat much more fun, I’m tearing up the opposition now!

Wish someone would have written a short one liner like this, would have cleared up my confusion over the controls!

Yep. Very poorly tutorialized.

The vital left-shoulder-pad+d-pad dance is very poorly tutorialized.
The Y screen menu is also very poorly tutorialized.
Hell, pretty much everything beyond “point at a yellow marker and hold A” is.
Those of us with space sim street knowledge can catch on pretty quickly, but woe betide everyone else.