Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

I’d rather torrent this and then PayPal the cash directly to Double Damage. I really, really don’t trust Epic and its Sino overlords

Do you trust Double Damage to make what they feel is the best decision for the health and success of their company?

I think Travis & Co. Will do what they need to do to keep their company afloat and put a little more cheddar in their bank account.

And I am deeply uncomfortable keeping what amounts to a Chinese data mining app on my PC.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

LMGTFY

TLDR not some neckbeardy paranoia thing. Epic Launcher phones home, is majority owned by Tencent.

1. Is the data-mining and phoning home part a proven thing, or speculation (especially the data-mining)? Can things like Malwarebytes stop it?

2. If, once downloaded, you don’t need the EGS app running to play the game, is it a big deal?

This thing where people have come up with a conspiracy theory that Epic having a Chinese shareholder equals some sort of foreign spyware is really, really, really weird.

Hey, did you know we have a minority shareholder that is also Chinese?
Did you know that it has zero impact on anything, they have no access to any of our data?

Doesn’t it seem highly likely that with the technical acumen of the folks on the internet someone would have done a data capture given the HIGH DEGREE of scrutiny and actually found some wrongdoing?

Don’t you think it would be staggeringly stupid for Epic to do that, and doesn’t it seem like Tim Sweeney is really anything but stupid?

People have a very strange idea of how outside investment in a company actually works.

TLDR: I can’t believe people trust Jeff Bezos with their data more than Tim Sweeney, given all of Tim’s past actions and public statements over the years.

Amen.

Install it in the sandbox space that Windows 10 now has, copy out the game, destroy it.

The way that updates work though , is that EPIC’s launcher will have to be installed and active to update the game. At least that is how it is for World War Z.

Shrug. I’d rather that RG was either GoG or direct sales. I’m not using Timmy S.'s spyware launcher. Guess I’ll be waiting a year, unfortunately, and trying to ignore the spoilers in this thread :(

How do you do that sandbox thing? Please “ELI 5” as they say, or maybe give me a good link? Not necessarily for this but maybe for other things.

But: doesn’t change the fact you’re handing over financial information to Epic. And you need Win 10 Pro or Enterprise.

Look, this is my hill, and Imma dyin on it.

I just don’t know what you expect they’re going to do with it that GoG isn’t.

Yea I’m a bit embarrassed at the general paranoia and lack of understanding of outside investor vs. operator. If this were a Chinese free-to-play MMO running direct under ten cent - yea you’re probably giving half your data away, outside of that - no. Especially for a person like Tim Sweeney.

Wait a year and buy it on Steam then.

Meh. Your radio voice is too good so it’s no point arguing with you. I just don’t like the smell of the EGL. Or, after having every ounce of personal information I have already scraped by oligarchs, I’m putting my foot down here. Or something about Fortnite being part of the decline of western civilization.

At any rate, looking forward to playing this in a year.

And:

It’s called “Fortnite”.

Thanks much. I’ll check it out.

That has no bearing on this game. I just think it’s a shame the discussion keeps getting diverted away from what appears to be a fabulous game. It’s got to be so frustrating and wearying for @tbaldree to deal with this in light of what should be a victorious moment for him and his team.