Recent air combat sim recommendations?

I didn’t have permission to post links. Thanks ;-)

I wonder if with the resurgence of the space-sim (elite:D and Senior Star Citizen) we will in time get a resurgence of the flight sim game (not just sim, we have DCS for that) in the vein of ef2k, falcon4 etc.

Because that would be rad you know. Fucking rad.

Oh yes, sign me the fuck up for that resurgence.

TAW 2.0 has been out for quite some time over at Combatsim (and led to no end of matronly hand-wringing over at SimHQ), and it’s pretty nifty. Both sims are awesome, but EF2000 has a better sense of fidelity, and Soaring Through The Fjords never gets old.

Just to clarify for everyone else out there: TAW 2.0 is a community-reworked (modern OS compatibility, DirectX and texture tweaks, etc. )version of Total Air War that doesn’t require a TAW install (hence SimHQ hand-wringing). EF2000 Reloaded is a DOSBox wrapper for an existing EF2000 install. It’s a big deal because EF 2000 was provided in many different Flavours and the wrapper seems to handle them all.

Nice British spelling there, and yeah, I find that particularly impressive since there were what…around half a dozen versions/addons of the game between DOS and Windows, right?

Yeah, all being a relative term here :)

It doesn’t do the Rendition version, or the Win 98 Super EF 2000 version. Just the various DOS versions.

DOES IT JUST DO TACCOM?! WHAT ABOUT THAT HUH?! ;)

LOL

I got bog-standard EF 2000 DOS and EF 2000 TACTCOM to work with some time spent setting up install files in virtual XP. I found what I think is the right 3dfx Graphics+ patch, and the patch pretends to patch the Tactcom install, but it fails on execute.

All of this nonsense would be, well, nonsense if somebody would just put up the EF2K V2.0 iso, instead of having to crawl across the web sorting and piecing together what I can find.

(And to think that I’ve had more than one copy of EF2K V2 throughout the years)

I’ve got the disk, how do I make an ISO out of it?

“Once you start down the dark path, forever it will dominate your destiny.” - Rutherford P. Hayes

There’s a lot of programs out there that will do it. I ripped a bunch of PS2 games from disks so I could play them on an emu, and my fogging memory isn’t telling me what program I used :\ It was free though, and I think I snagged it from Sourceforge :)

I’d like to support this noble endeavour! Here are a couple of free programs from Windows to make ISO images.

The first is a small and simple program adds a right click option to record disks: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com

The second is bigger and fancier with a lot more options and complications: http://www.imgburn.com/

Alright, I’ll rip it before the weekend and put it…somewhere…

Got me to buy an x55 and FSX Gold…

Welp, I hope this is okay and works. :)

What do you think of the x55?

I’ve never had a HOTAS, so I’m a bit daunted by everything. I only got it and flight simulator x installed last night. Downloaded the profiles but haven’t tried anything yet. I’ve been following this thread though…

Guys. GUYS.

Holy. Shit.

It is OK and it works. As usual, you have to install the 3dfx version in a XP virtual box to get the files extracted, but once this is done (and the 3dfx files copied back to Win 7), everything works fine. Ah, the glorious Northlands rendered in 2MB 3dfx graphics. Thanks much!

Yay!

On my end, I installed the XP mode, but couldn’t actually run it. There’s no EXE in the folder nor a start menu entry. Ugh.

Once again, GOG forces me to buy a game that I have ensconced in my illicit DOS games collection. :)

So odd that a holding company like this (About Us - Tommo) seems to have all the early MP games rights.