ReCore - Inafune's robo-shooter

ReCore got a glowing premiere at E3 2015, but we haven’t seen much more of it until now. You can watch Major Nelson and Joseph Staten playing about an hour of the game here.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/recore

Microsoft published, so no PS4 or Steam, although it may come to Steam someday. For now, it’s just Xbox One and Windows 10 Store. Coming September 13th.

I am so close to buying this, even have the funds loaded in my Microsoft account. I do think I will wait until release and some reviews start appearing.

The Play Anywhere initiative makes many of the upcoming Xbox titles MUCH more appealing.

I agree! I don’t own an Xbox One, yet, but this title looks very appealing! Will definitely be eyeing the PC version.

I was planning to buy this on PC, but going to be a hard sale if i have to use windows store.

I’m almost more interested in “team behind Metroid Prime” than “Keiji Inafune”.

Anyone get it? Reviews seem average.

Wow 1-2 minute loading times.

I am watching a live stream now and the loading goes on and on and on.

Wait what? On a SSD? Or are you talking console?

I decided to skip it after reading the reviews.

I think it was actually on the xbox. So in theory it would be faster to some degree on a PC with an SSD.

I am still tempted, but i think i’ll wait as i’m not a huge fan of arcade jumping.

I was waiting on reviews too. I am still tempted too, especially since I’m a huge fan of arcade jumping, but the talk of technical problems and bugs has me thinking I should wait.

The windows store has denied every attempt I have made to purchase this so. . . waiting.

Same here.

Padded content and necessary grinding were red flags for me.

I imagine I will play this someday, probably right after that time travel game with Littlefinger.

And a weak rating overall on Opencritic. It saddens to see it get rated like this, as it sure does look like something I’d like. Reading about the padding does suck.

I ended up getting this game as i was interested in both trying it out and seeing how windows store is, but my initial experience has been extremely negative, on both.

I’ll try again tomorrow, as maybe all it needs is a computer restart after installing, but right now i can’t even play the game.

Initially i couldn’t even get the game to connect to xbox live and it REALLY wanted to. Eventually it let me in to the game, but i closed it because i had an issue with my gamepad that i needed to fix (unrelated). The second time i started it up, it again got stuck in a connecting to xbox live loop, but this time it was not letting me through.

So i searched through windows and found i had an actual xbox live app. Starting that seemed to fix the xbox live problem, but now the game crashes immediately after loading.

Windows store just sucks too. I’m not even sure it is possible to install a single application to another drive. I have a windows drive and a games drive. I want the small apps like email on my windows drive and i want the games like recore on my games drive. Not being able to do this means i will NEVER seriously use this platform and recore will be the only paid program i ever own on the windows platform.

Bummed the game is crashing. :(

Confusingly, the setting to change this is in Settings, not accessible from the Store app, but you can change where Apps/Games get saved. Go to Settings and choose Storage, then change the “New apps will save to” folder. If you want apps (which are generally tiny from the Windows Store) on one drive and Games on the other, you can just change this setting again before you install something new. It only affects new downloads, and doesn’t move any already-installed stuff.

If you want to move ReCore to your Games drive, go to Apps and Features, find it in the Apps & Features section, click on it, and choose Move. (That’s one nice thing you don’t get with Installshield games…)

Also, to troubleshoot the crashing, click Advanced Options under the game’s name in Apps & Features and try the “Reset” button. Now that you have Xbox Live set up, maybe that will help? Not sure, as ReCore worked fine for me, but I already had Live running from the Forza Apex and Minecraft Win 10 games.

Thanks, i’ll try that.

I must admit that i find the windows store confusing and awkward compared to literally any other digital store.

After uninstalling the game, making that change, i can’t even download the game again from the windows store.

I get the super helpful error of:

It goes without saying that even if i can manage to get this store and this game working, it will be my last experience with the windows store.

The windows store is also INSANELY slow for some reason now when i can download from steam at 10 MB/s or more.

Ok, i went to the download folder for winstore and manually deleted everything recore that i could. i got permissions errors even with admin powers on some, but it appears i deleted enough, because the download actually works now.

So lesson of the day is don’t uninstall a windows store app and expect to be able to install it again as a replacement for steam repair. YMMV.