Red Dead Redemption 2 confirmed for PC

Wow, that is bad!

But apparently not isolated to me, at least, if what I’ve seen is true about there being a bug causing the game to spike your CPU usage, causing the freezes. Given that there is no framerate drop before or after the freeze, and the game doesn’t crash or anything, just stops temporarily, I’m inclined to also suspect something along those lines.

What happens if you keep task manager up while you run it? Do you see it jack the CPU to 100% during these freezes?

I haven’t done that, though I have opened TM when it’s going on and the CPU is certainly maxed out. I’m just waiting for a patch at this point.

There’s a new patch out, but I don’t think it addresses this issue.

Dorking around after looking at some of the Internet “fixes” I decided I’d try the simplest one, changing from Vulkan to DX 12. Hah. Now the game won’t start, period. Time to uninstall and wait for a comprehensive patch I think.

Weird, Vulkan->DX12 was the first thing I did before playing…

I’ve been playing with Vulcan- which is supposed to perform better?

Most of the early troubleshooting threads have said to use DX12 so that’s what I did. But now I’m rethinking. :)

According to the Guru3D benchmarks, Vulkan actually performs slightly better in CPU-bound situations or on high-end cards.

I saw this video which uses a GTX 1070, doesn’t seem to be much in it. But later on the Vulkan frametimes look a lot ‘spikier’ to me:

Thanks, ill try that.

Is anyone else having trouble launching the game? I am using the epic store, every time I run it, it asks for admin privileges for the rock star installer, and then it goes to connecting and then finally the animated rock-star logo comes up for a little while and then after a bit the launcher exits and then nothing else happens.

Seems there are threads all around the 'Net about similar issues, be they launcher problems, anti-virus false positives, you name it.

Yeah, I found a lot of them. I wonder how long I can wait to get a refund on the EGS, if its not too late. Ill give it till tomorrow some time. Maybe their servers are down or something. This whole DRM method is complete bullshit.

The patch a couple of days ago, or yesterday, was supposed to fix the anti-virus issues, but I had gotten past that by putting the game in AVG’s exceptions. But I shelved it because of the CPU spiking issue I was having. Though, come to think of it, I’m now not 100% sure it’s the game, given that when I installed The Division 2 again after some time away from it, I was also getting that same spiking/freeze thing, though not so severe. I wonder if my aging CPU is finally giving up the ghost.

Well at least the troubles with EGS will help them iron out their integration for the Steam launch next month! :P

I wonder if anyone who bought directly from RS has had launcher issues? I know I haven’t.

I don’t know if its the game or the launcher. I can run the launcher directly. When I do that and launch the game, I get an error about RDR2 exiting unexpectedly. I also got an error another time about unable to operate in offline mode.

Download one of the many free CPU/Graphics benchmarking tools and stress test your rig. If if the same thing happens you know it’s not the games.

Might try that. The weird thing is that I played a bajillion hours of Ghost Recon: Breakpoint very recently and had zero issues. Ditto with every other game I’ve played except The Division 2 and RDR 2.

Interesting.

Performance is pretty good if you accept this as a scalable future proof game, and don’t automatically reach for high/ultra settings. The console versions use some settings that are lower than the lowest PC equivalents. AMD has a decent advantage on lower end cards. Vulkan runs a bit more smoothly, more noticeable on lower-end and Nvidia cards.

Looking forward to the settings comparison video!