Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

Is that the Fusion Pro or just regular wired Power A? Keep an eye out for reWASD Chinese New Year sale too if you don’t own that already.

This.

Just arrived. The box still had bits of wrapping paper on it. So it is a return. I hope it works.

I played the game through on the PS4 Pro myself, and even the controller layout was rather complicated in certain situations. I wouldn’t play the game without a controller myself, but different strokes and all that.

I do remember that the Windows port of PS2’s Bully had an impossible default m+k control scheme, way worse than those of the ports of the PS2 era GTA games for some reason (you would think that they would have been similar).

Sooooo… I played the heck out of RDR2, including many play sessions that were completely non-goal oriented, just riding around the countryside exploring. Loved RDR1, was not a fan of RDR2 in the very beginning, then got really hooked. I finally quit and moved on after finishing the game, watching the end credits, then roaming around even more. I then moved on to my next obsession.

However, I still had a Red Dead itch. I shied away from Red Dead Online because I’m a PVE kinda player, but it appears you can play Red Dead Online (PS4) without being non stop griefed. My questions:
What kind of starter guide do I need to jump into Red Dead Online?
How enjoyable is RDO for a solo player?
How enjoyable is RDO for two people who play coop consistently with each other in the game?

We have a thread for it, and @barstein is your huckleberry I think.

Perfect, thanks.

Is it that there are fewer PS4 players for RDR2 online and, so, therefore, fewer griefers or is there some sort of console mechanic that allows play without griefing?

I have no experience with it yet but I hope (since I have PS4) there are less griefers on there. That would drive me away.

I see the RDO thread appears to have died around January of 2019?

Having just finished over Christmas, I’m already playing it through a second time. At least until I get bored. Currently in Chapter 2, and trying to stay in the appropriate areas of the map (Valentine, Emerald Ranch, Strawberry, and the Grizzlies because I love the snow) rather than wander everywhere like last time. I am amazed by how much of the little content I missed in my first playthrough. Is that Uncle being tossed out of a bar?

So much has been said and written about this game that I probably can’t add much color. Except that the Andalusian is an underrated horse.

• You can get one pretty cheap ($140) in Strawberry’s stable beginning in Chapter 2 (once you complete the mission that opens up stables).
  • The one you can buy looks pretty bad-ass.
  • It’s a medium-tall horse. Not the biggest, but far bigger than the “elite” Arabian.
  • Speaking of the Arabian, the Andalusian is the opposite when it comes to temperament. I ran down a pack of wolves with my trusty steed. And even a Grizzly doesn’t cause him to buck me off.
  • No one else in camp has one, so there’s a bit of uniqueness to him. Sure, the same is true for the Dutch Warmblood, but with ‘Dutch’ in the name, I feel like the Andalusian stands out a bit more.

So there you go. The Andalusian for the win. They added a free one in the wild a few weeks ago too, but I like my current one enough to try to stick with him through thick and thin.

Arabian horses are way too skittish in this game. A Turkoman was always my fave. Of course, they cost a pretty penny. There used to be a bug in the game that would let you snag one for free in single player on PS4.

I haven’t checked out any starter guides, I’m afraid. There are probably some good ones out there, though. Best way to start I can think of is to look for more experienced players to buddy up with. I could share some thoughts, if you’re interested.

Depends on your play style, really, and on what you enjoy doing in the game. Personally I enjoyed playing solo for my first six months and ranked up to 120 or so before I started playing actively with friends I met in the game.

Very, assuming you both dig RDO. Two can get a lot done together and have a great time. Don’t be shy about letting randoms into your posse from time to time, though.

I believe the anti-griefing mechanisms are identical on PC, although I’ve only played on PC for an hour or so total. And there are loads of PS4 players; I rarely see small lobbies.

Agree 100%, that horse is a monster, I rode one exclusively for a long time. I agree with Papageno that the Turk is one of the best, though, alongside the Fox Trotter and the Breton. Arabians are pretty terrible, IMO.

Finished the Epilogue. I’ll probably play the first game just to get “the rest of the story,” heh, but John just straight up is not nearly as likeable a character as Arthur. He’s kind of a douchebag much of the time, actually. After the credits rolled, I went back to the ranch to hitch my horse and overheard Uncle telling Jack some bullshit although mildly amusing story, and at the end the old man says, “It’s true!” in a plaintive fashion and John just flat out, in a not at all joking tone, says, “shut up,” and that’s that. What a jerk.

Yeah, I think it helps RDR2 if you’ve played RDR1 first. I won’t give any spoilers but knowing John’s journey in RDR1 gives you an interesting perspective in RDR2.

I went up and spent a long time early in RDR2 getting the elusive White Arabian. Got really frustrated until I finally successfully got her. I rode her the entire game. She was my partner. We outran a lot of posses and had quite the adventure together. I just couldn’t feel right abandoning her for another horse, even if it was better, because we went through so much together.

All this talk makes me want to do another run through of RDR2, even though there were parts I didn’t care for. In spite of that, one of my all time top 10 (maybe 5) games.

I’m still pretty annoyed that they don’t let Arthur kill Micah at the end of Chapter 6. I get that they gotta segue into John’s story and all somehow, but as someone who hasn’t really played much of 1, I don’t really care about John! I just wanted Arthur to get some closure, but that was very much denied.

Also although I appreciated the high honor ending for Arthur, it does seem kind of like something Micah would not actually do.

Rumor has it (I forget where I read this, so take it with a big grain of salt) that …

Micah was not a traitor until after the Caribbean jaunt. When you come back and everyone is in disarray that’s when he goes to betray the group. Before that he is loyal to the group.

Kind of an interesting idea, I think.

Well, that’s if you choose to take the word of a Pinkerton man, who tells you that at the end of the game. May or may not be so.