Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

Funny you should ask. Answer : it is terrible at it. I just booted it up, and found it kind of obtuse- my last save was from last May, somewhere in chapter 2, I think. There is a control diagram in the settings menu, but when you look at it it constantly cycles between two different diagrams (single player and online, I think?) every few seconds, with no way to stop it and just look at one. I also couldn’t find a way to look at active missions/side quests/whatever, though I did find a way to replay earlier missions. So I was on the outskirts of some town, with no idea why I was there, what I was doing, etc. I feel like I should restart the game, but I remember the beginning before it opened up as being something of a slog. Argh.

You know what? I don’t think they fixed it because it did still look washed out. I’m going to try it without HDR in 4k and see how it looks next time I fire it up.

I took a few breaks and er . . . it wasn’t pretty with the controls. I’d suggest playing the first part over again before going back to your latest save - it actually helped me finally grok the controls.

I started to play this game. It’s very pretty. It’s also very cinematic. I liked a lot how it starts, it feels organic as you already surrounded by mates, some with a history with you, with their own traits and relations. It feels… lived in.
The gameplay is of course, meh.

I decided to play it just one mission per day, it’s kind of like watching a western tv series daily. I think that way I won’t burn out with the linear, boring gameplay.

It opens up. I mean, it still has missions and such, but there becomes a lot more to do.

I’ll take RDR over GTA any day – and I like GTA well enough.

I adored RDR2. I wish they hadn’t borked the implementation of HDR on the console version, though. It was pretty disappointing on my LG CX. Everything just looked washed out. On my 1080p Panny Plasma it was gorgeous played on my PS4 Pro with supersampling enabled.

If I go back to it I’ll turn off HDR unless I’ve heard they fixed it in the interim.

One of my top 5 games in over 30 years of computer/console gaming. I’m a huge open world aficionado.

I actually did not like the game in the first hours. Very linear. I played RDR1 and, while I loved the Western Noir story, I had some issues with the actual game play. But I came into RDR2 with the world already in my head.

As soon as RDR2 opened up, I fell in love with it. I did the missions, of course, but I took forever to finish the game, because I loved just getting on my horse and exploring every inch of the world. There is SO much to find. I pretty much role played it as I imagined my character. I’d find a place to camp at night that was flat and wouldn’t be flooded if it rained all night, I’d make a campfire and eat before I went to sleep, in the morning I’d get up, eat, drink a cup of coffee, feed Destiny (I highly recommend immediately finding and taming the White Arabian up in the NW corner of the map: this was my only horse for the entire game and I felt a tremendous bond, plus the horse is fast enough you can just outrun bounty hunters and other bad guys) and then break camp and ride off to explore.

I’ve never cared for “accomplishments” so I really didn’t worry about doing every challenge. Most of them felt artificial to me.

I would also highly recommend staying away from spoilers, which are everywhere at this point. Just explore.

I thought there was a big difference between how well rifle shooting worked in, say, hunting, with all the sound, animation and landscape work and then missions, which were more like whackamole shooting galleries from about 1994.

Or as others have said World Yay, Gameplay Hmm.

I have few complaints (I thought Cuba was rushed and Arthur really should have gotten to settle Micah), but this is my most fervent one. What a bungle.

I need to revisit this, so much fishing to still enjoy and taking the train is so relaxing to watch.

That’s huge praise. I am not sure where it falls on my list yet… still have to finish it. I keep just running off hunting instead of doing chapters.

I wonder if they ever fixed some of the bugs like not being able to give Dutch his pipe as of when the group takes up residence in the old abandoned plantation residence. That was annoying. And then they go and take away a perfectly useful bug like being able to get your hands on an awesome horse for free. :-(

I never did get the hang of horse whispering and taming in this game, so the white Arabian was pretty much impossible to catch for me, and Arabians are too skittish anyway–give me a Turkoman any day–almost as fast and much calmer and sturdier. In RDR 1 I was the horse taming master but they made it more difficult somehow in RDR2.

Not being able to tame horses and keep them in RDR online is a top reason I don’t play. Finding and getting horses… stealing them, it’s part of the appeal. Instead they just focused on money sinks and something about jobs.

There’s actually a VERY simple way to tame the White Arabian. I got bucked off, got frustrated, tried this, worked easy peasy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/9twhtc/guide_how_to_tame_the_white_arabian_horse_in_one/

Thanks, but have you tried this recently? I ask because that tip was posted a couple of years ago, and it might have been patched out for some reason.

I did within the last few months when I started a replay and it worked then.

Have to agree with you here. I tried one of the Arabians briefly but the thing looked so small it was like my legs were almost touching the ground, it was like riding around on some kind of small, really jittery, high strung donkey. It just looked all wrong :D

What you mention there is another reason. If Arthur were 5 feet tall or something instead of 6’2" or whatever he wouldn’t look ridiculous on an Arabian.

Arabian horses aren’t all that dinky IRL, are they? I know they’re relatively “skinnny” because they’re bred for speed but I thought they were taller. Or maybe they only look that way because 5 foot-tall jockeys are riding them.

I’m going to have try and get that horse!

I was bummed that there weren’t more wild tamable horses in the single-player game. What if I wanted to tame a Turkoman? or a Morgan? Nope. I only remember one other kind of tamable wild horse in the game, the one whose name started with an N, and IIRC it was only in one general spot (like the white Arabian).