Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

That damned horse

The amount of loot you get from rail cars is disappointing. My mail car robbing spree only nagged me about $25 and some canned vegetables and resulted in $1500 in bounties. I did learn you can’t cause a train collision by running the train in reverse around the map, which is also disappointing.

I have 6000 dollars after the bank roberry and finding the poison trail treasure (and looting every enemy). But it seems nothing much to spend it on anymore :(

Do you own all the in game outfits? :)

#FashonRedemption

Think of it as a cash reserve for bounties and try to get all the way to full dishonor.

I have lots, but I think I will keep this bad ass man in black look anyway…

jesus christ some of the views in this thing

I can’t help but try to be a nice guy. Sometimes I fail miserably, like yesterday when I bumped into a guy in a bar, he didn’t appreciate it and started pummeling me, so I proceeded pummeling him, so all his buddies started pummeling me, so I pummeled all his buddes into unconscious submission, leaving ten bodies on the floor, picking up my hat and leaving the bar without saying a word

Or exploring the woods and seeing light in the distance, going closer and bunch of drunkards are making fun of each other in a cabin so I wait to see what happens and they proceed to fall asleep, some at a table, some at a bed, some on the floor, so of course me being the good guy I am, I go inside to relieve them of their unnecessary material burgoise posessions, only to bump into one of them, waking him up, meeting the barrel of his gun, and then proceeding to shoot him and all his buddies dead because what else am I gonna do?!

So last night I finally went to Strawberry and did that mission I’d been dreading, which gets the whole town upset with me. Ugh.

It’s pretty brilliant really, to force Arthur Morgan out of his complacent comfort zone.

1. It teaches the player about having a bounty on their heads.
  2. It reminds you that you’re playing a bad guy, and you’re hanging with bad people.

After the mission the tutorial message told me that certain areas will be “hot” for a while. And I have to admit, I wasn’t expecting such a huge area of the map to be red. How long do I have to lay low, like the game implies?

Until you pay your bounty.

How huge do you mean? After completing that mission, it was really only the town of Strawberry itself that was red to me. Of course, I pretty much rode straight to a post office and paid off the bounty.

Looks like the areas near all rivers are red to me now. The tutorial mentioned that this is because law enforcement is on patrols out to areas looking for you.

That’s just the border of the state. You’re subject to that state’s law enforcement within its borders and if you run across any cops or bounty hunters they’ll open fire.

Ah ok. I suspected that it might be the border of a state. But since I haven’t revealed must of the map in that direction, it just looked like the whole river was lit up red on my map, heading into the unknown area. Good to know that’s a border of a state.

Are you sure it doesn’t go away with time? The tutorial message specifically mentioned laying low for a while and staying out of the area. I thought for sure that meant that it will go away on its own after a while.

I may be wrong about this, but I think lying low is so you don’t get identified by any law investigating the crime. By the time you have a bounty, it’s a done deal. Now I’ve never tried waiting out a bounty, so I guess maybe so?

This is all just me putting together stuff that I’ve seen happen to me in game. The other day I got ambushed by a woman who said her leg was broken, and her friends tried to rob me, so I killed them. You know, like you do. But a passing person saw me do this and I got the notice that the crime has been reported, because I couldn’t chase the dude down, he was on a horse. So I just boogied out of the red area while the “investigating” notice was up and by the time it stopped filling in, there was no further notice of a crime or that I had been identified, therefore no bounty. I’m not sure why I wasn’t identified, maybe because I got out of the area so quick, but I got away with the crime.

Me, I think that Strawberry mission is one of the nadirs of the game. I generally dislike the missions where everything turns into a shooting gallery, because it undermines the tactility of the world the rest of the game is so keen on. Being caught in the open world by four people is far more lethal than the dozens you fight in these story missions.

Then there’s the way it undermines the writing. Later, when you have one of your optional sitdowns with the crew and you talk about how you’re doing, and Arthur laments how there’s no place for people like them anymore, it’s absurd. He murdered half a town. There has never been a place for people like that anywhere, and a huge part of his character is that he’s smart enough to see through Dutch’s bullshit and can see what’s coming.

It definitely does not.

Now, when a town is on lockdown (generally because you murdered tons of people there), all the stores and stuff will shut down. That aspect of things will go away after a while.

So, for instance, after a while Strawberry will open up and be a normal town again.

But until you pay off your bounty, you will still have it in that area.

This doesn’t mean you can’t go there though. It just means that if law officers see you, they’ll start chasing you. It also means, depending on how big your bounty is, that bountyhunters will show up randomly and start chasing you if you are in that area. The higher the bounty, the more likely that bounty hunters will show up.

This video YouTube showed me seems to have some good info on avoiding bounties wherever possible:

The bounty system is kind of pointless once you get money. What you murdered half the town? Just pay up a few hundred dollars and all is forgiven.

Doesn’t bother me, but they could have done something more involved with that system. Considering the 8 billion other things going on I will let this one slide.

I want the darn MP to drop. I’m really eager to try that out.

I just realized to do the gunslinger quest, you have to look at all the photos. :|

Welp working on that now in chapter 3, heh.

I made the same discovery last night in chapter 4.