Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

I really love how they nailed the look of Rhodes, clearly a small middle or south Mississippi/Alabama/Georgia town with it’s dusty red clay streets bordering on the Louisiana bayou or Okefenokee.

What’s the trick to beating the dude in the shooting contest, anyway? Does engaging deadeye and sweeping across the targets work?

Lose the shooting contest cause it’s hard , get angry, shoot guy in head.

Just shoot him anywhere and you’ll win.

So is there no winning it “legit,” so to speak?

You can win it legit, but I find that some locations where the contest occurs make it easier to win, some places the bottles just don’t stand out against the background well, especially if light is dim. You don’t really need dead shot, but using the repeater is probably the best bet since you don’t have to reload as much.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about fast draw dueling the gunslingers.

Yeah, I was talking about the bottles and such , but regarding the ex-gunslingers I didn’t realize that you didn’t have to kill them.

BTW, general question: if you just finished a mission and want to do better at it (get silver vs bronze or whatever), if you replay it and there’s a different result does it become “the official story” as far as your save game is concerned?

Man this game really is insane when it comes to general quality. I am in chapter 4 just doing all the sidequests in St. Dennis and having a grand time.

Came across a minor graphical glitch (tree pop-in) and it was so jarring because there’s not been much else that has been too immersion-breaking for me.

As much as I enjoy playing the game I think just existing in the game world is equally as satisfying. I went animal watching the other day. Found a nice shady spot in a dry creek bed and tried to see how many animals I could study to fill out the compendium. They get pretty close to you if you sit still long enough.

Later on, I came across a treasure hunter who didn’t want me to know he was hunting treasures and was generally acting all cagey. He made some excuses and then went on his way, asking me not to follow him. So of course I did (I didn’t want to just rob him of the map) and he lead me all over the place! We went 'round and 'round the map, doubling back here and there. Any time I got too close he’d say something and speed back up. Eventually, we ran into some O’Driscolls and by the time I’d dealt with them I’d lost the treasure hunter! Ah well. Onto the next adventure.

He caught me unawares the first time. I only had my revolver on me. When he challenged me, I figured the game would let me go to my horse and get a rifle/repeater so I could compete with him. But no, he just started shooting stuff that I couldn’t see.

Good to hear I’ll get another chance at him.

Inasmuch as that ever happens, no, it won’t change anything in your storyline.

I wish there was some way to replay just the challenging part of the missions. I was working on better medals for a while, but it just got too tedious having to sit through the same traversal sequences and unskippable conversations and story filler, just to get to a shootout and try to get through it without drinking a health potion. Rockstar had a similiar issue with the last Max Payne. There were really cool incentives to replay missions and do better, but there was no way to skip the narrative around the missions.

-Tom

Is anyone else addicted to upgrading all the little touches around the camp? I’m trying to figure out where some oxen are so I can make a nice throw rug in Arthur’s tent.

I did encounter one of the weirdest bugs I’ve ever seen today, I was riding along and my horse screamed, reared up and threw me, and then burst into flame. All I could do was just watch her corpse burn. I have no idea what happened, it was like spontaneous combustion.

Also had an interesting random encounter outside of Saint Denis, guy came riding up to me asking if I could get him to a doctor, so I rushed him back to the Saint Denis doc, who took a look at him and told him his arm had to come off (not sure what happened, I guessed snake bite?) and then told me I should leave, I wouldn’t want to see what was going to happen. So of course I hung around, and sure enough, doc pulled out a bone saw and went to town, bandaged up the stump and consoled the amputee. That was wild.

He always beats me at the bottles, but I’m able to beat him at the birds.

In my game, that’s not the worst thing that eventually happens to that guy.

Oh really, should I have stuck around longer? Or does he turn up again like snakebite guy?

I didn’t stick around and actually forgot about the guy but came across him later as I was riding around St. Denis.

Wrapped up chapter 6 this morning, such a fine fucking game. It looks like I have quite a bit of story left though, with two “Epilogue” chapters after that seem, according to the mission flow chart in the strategy guide, to be every bit as big as most of the previous chapters? I’m loving it so far.

One question - I played this entire game up to now basically avoiding the lower left side of the map (Blackwater) and I still have never had cause to travel down that way - do I eventually, or should I just head down to there to explore on my own?

I caught a 19 pound needlenose gar and it gave me the option to cook so I did. This played the set up camp animation and afterwards I found myself on a small island just offshore. Now I ain’t want to muss my clothes and luckily there was a boat nearby on the shore. Unfortunately, it had a big hole in its hull. But it also held a skeleton and a pirate sword. So now I have a pirate sword.

I ran into Gavin’s friend again, this time out in the wilderness… I’ve met him like a dozen times now. He’s looking really rough at this point.