Red Dead Redemption - Spoiler Thread!

Um, yes, I know. I asked rhetorically.

yes I meant by story , not the work involved.

Hey my bad - your response was to the original question and not one of the follow ups pointing the stats page thing out, so I assumed you were yet one more person that missed it.

Sure, just that I was the one who brought up that you were “duped” in that mission in the first place. Can’t point too many fingers though; I’m also occasionally guilty of not reading the names behind the posts I read.

Anyone have suggestions on how to beat the final marksman challenge (shoot 6 guns out of folks’ hands without reloading)? My problem is that Marston seems to auto-reload the gun as soon as I stop shooting.

You have to keep the weapon out - if he puts it on his back it’ll auto-reload. I got this one fairly easily by doing one of the gang hideouts in San Pariso. Just keep hitting left trigger every 2-3 seconds (even without a target to shoot at)

Use up all your ammo except one clip’s worth. Then save in case you screw things up and need to try again :)

I ended up doing the final marksman challenge in the story mission where you take the professor to meet Dutch’s gang. A few guys camp out behind cover pretty close to the cabin you’re in, and I just shot the guns out of their hands over and over. They’d pick it up, and I’d shoot it away again. It was pretty funny, actually, and a lot easier than I expected. Plus, Marston doesn’t put his gun away if you’re in cover, so you only need to hit LT when you actually want to shoot.

Also, use dead eye, but that should be obvious.

This is unnecessary. If you use your Mauser for instance, just keep LT held, and he will reload constantly during Deadeye. This doesn’t count against the challenge either. So you can face dozens of enemies and use up a hundred bullets trying for the challenge as long as you don’t reload manually.

You can do cheat at poker six times in a row and get it that way too.

Finished it yesterday - what a great ending! Makes me realize how few good endings there are in videogames, but the way they handled the entire last third of the game in West Elizabeth was masterful.

Seriously, what great, great game.

I still would like to know the motivation behind letting Marston enjoy his life for a couple days, a week, whatever it takes to get through the family missions before invading and killing John - I mean, why wouldn’t Ross just kill John after he took his gun to shoot Dutch - but other than that, I agree with you.

Even someone like Ross might feel inordinately scummy shooting John in that cutscene, what with the facts that he just helped take down Dutch, and that the other guy (Fordham?) was standing there.

I thought the plot might end tragically in a different way, with John’s family getting killed in the raid, but with him eventually getting together with Bonnie. Dramatically, though, the way it ended made more sense–the Governor had to boost his crime-fighting cred by taking down the one remaining member of the gang, and leaving John alive wouldn’t have solved that/tied up that loose end.

Maybe. It did cross my mind that Fordham being there had something to do with it - especially given that he wasn’t part of the raid that killed John.

Regardless, it’s still Rockstars best storyline to date, I think. I understand why John was killed, just not why he was left alive for as ‘long’ as he was once Dutch was gone. Even still, doesn’t detract from a great story.

Maybe Ross is such a stone-cold bastard that he wanted Marston to have a taste of happiness before he killed him. Or maybe he just wanted to lull Marston into a false sense of security to make it easier to get the jump on him.

Wow. I thought the Marshall’s uniform would be harder to get. 24 hours to clear all US strongholds. Took me 9.

So, which are the U.S. Strongholds? The ones that respawn?

Fort Mercer
Gaptooth Breach Mine
That place north of Armadillo with the two tall rocks out in front to the sides (don’t remember the name) where the rancher’s daughter is being held hostage.
Tumbleweed
Pike’s Basin

and? Am I forgetting one?

Yep, those are the five.

Twin Rocks, strangely enough.

Getting 100% is much less tedious than most GTA games (less tedious! wow!), although doing all the bounty locations is a grind.

Could just be that he got new orders from on high and that leaving the last gang member alive was no longer an option because the governor now wanted a clean sweep.

Ross was a complete bastard but he was a practical bastard. I’d like to think he wasn’t just toying with John.

Not that that stopped me from killing his wife and tossing a fire bottle at their house when I came looking for vengeance.

I just tried it with an older save (right after Fort Mercer), and it killed me and my horse stone dead. So yeah, unfordable.

Great end to the game, but I’m sick of working through story missions for people who are either stringing me along or are obviously going to turn on me. Rockstar have turned it into their own special cliche.