Remnant: From the Ashes (Souls Shooter)

Oh sweet! Thank you so much forgeforsaken! I had no idea that was possible. :)

Same here. It was the one and only boss I faced in the game that I couldn’t learn the mechanics by observation. I eventually had to Google it. I found it to be pretty poor in terms of feedback clues, whereas I thought the rest of the game was done well in that regard.

That final boss is a real jerk. Might need to grind to get my beam rifle up to snuff.

Oh wow, I didn’t realize there’s a further trick to that fight… I figured out that fire damage works and after that I just thought it had a stupid amount of HP because it was the final boss. There’s no effect or indicator I could see that the enemies in the shadow realm are having any impact. So I just ran through it every time, used up all my stocked healing potions and slowly brute forced it with the fireball weapon mod. Fortunately the fire DOT gives mod power so I could just spam it endlessly.

This game is really cool

I am suprised I don’t see more people talking about it / maybe because it don’t come from “From software”

There’s 1 big glaring difference, which keeps me from buying it: Forced multi-player.
It’s no so much about not being From Software. It’s that the Souls games are completely solo player friendly, with proper strats. Remnant almost requires teaming up to defeat bosses, and that will keep some people away.

I don’t think that is true, you can solo any boss. The toughest ones are not harder than a tough souls boss.

That’s not entirely true, I enjoyed playing solo vs. the bosses and made it to the end ( I still have the last boss to fight, but I think that one is just too hard for solo player to beat with boss transform into its stupid hard 2nd form), at least on normal. I may give up and restart the world to see what I’m missing from the 1st run.

I’ve gone entirely solo so far, though I’m not terribly deep into the game. I’ve grabbed the beam rifle (which sure feels underpowered right now!), taken out Gorefist and the Ent, and am exploring offworld now.

You can solo the entire game. I certainly did.

There’s a mechanic to that fight that isn’t entirely clear. Make sure you know what it is before giving up

Oh I guess I was misinformed! If this game is playable solo, I’ll definitely give it a shot.

It’s actually the opposite, the majority of people recommend not to do that boss in MP because the scaling is out of wack. I’m in that boat, nothing we could do could crack his armor. Was much easier in SP. It’s just a poorly designed encounter across the board, IMO.

The wild thing about this game, and part of the reason I think it isn’t catching fire as much as it should be, is that from the jump it looks kinda meh. We’ve seen post-apocalyptic grim dark shooters before, and this one looks like a subpar/low-rent version. You fight a few really tough bosses early on and think okay yeah, this is cool, but I’m not sure I want to spend the next 30 hours doing this.

But then the game fucking goooooes places. It’s not at all what it seems. And every single bit of that part of the game is spoilers-ville. Including cool mechanics.

It’s a credit to the community that most of that stuff hasn’t been spoiled. But, I think holding that stuff back could be keeping people at arms length.

I could be 10000% wrong about all this, just something I’ve been thinking about.

I suspect the sequel will be huge.

Yea, you can play this coop, and you can play this solo, or whatever you want. Adding more people increase the dificulty of some boses, may make a few easier.

I think the idea of mixing roguelike features, like random maps and randoms boss is amazing. Not because two runs are different, but because you don’t know whats after each corner, and having so many different boses mean you see a lot of cool boses before you see any repetition. Is a very clever designed game.

Game seems to be selling ok for an AA title. Steam spy has it over 500k on PC. Sure it suffers a bit form the unmemorable name.

I agree a sequel can be huge if it gets made but with THQ purchasing Gunfire and this published by Perfect Worlds I’m not sure what it means for a sequel.

500k units on PC in a couple of weeks isn’t just OK for this kind of game, it’s fantastic. (That number on PC probably means 2M copies sold on all platforms). This is a studio with 60 employees releasing a game a year, so we’re talking of a budget on the order of $10M. The game has already made their money back several times over.

Compare to something like The Surge, which would have had a similar budget, sold 50k on Steam in the launch window, and was still considered successful enough in the end to warrant a sequel.

Yeah, definitely really impressive for a game that was being made concurrently with Darksiders 3 by a smallish dev. THQ snatching them up when they did is looking like a really smart move. I could see MS or Sony sniffing around in the wake of Remnant’s success.

Sounds like some good changes on the horizon

Hoo boy. I just dug into this game a bit over the weekend, and it seemed a major achievement to even reach the Gorefist checkpoint. I am getting destroyed for exactly this reason. It seems I have no time to evaluate Gorefist’s movement and fighting pattern, when those explodey heart-shaped gasbags corner me and get in the way of my panicked dashes.