Remnant: From the Ashes (Souls Shooter)

Audio cues are very important. You can hear when the exploding guys appear and as they approach. Don’t try to damage Gorefist at all while they’re alive. You can time your rolls so you avoid their explosion and cloud, so you don’t even really need to shoot them. Once they’re cleared out, you should be able to knock some health off of Gorefist until the next wave comes. Aside from the audio cues, the important part is to pick the area you’ll make your stand in and familiarize yourself with the terrain.

Another thing that really helps are those cheap oil-something potions, they look like a black bottle. You can buy them in Ward 13 and provide 30% Rot resistance for 10 minutes, as well as cure you if you’re infected. It’s a big help, because one coughing fit at the wrong time means game over.

Remnant updates are coming on the 12th and 19th.

Finished the game with (one of) my co-op buddies today. Really liked it, and it’s probably in my top 5 for the year. And even if not, it’s definitely the most surprising game of the year; who would have expected something like this from a game that at a first glance looks like a typical Steam asset flip?

The level scaling was a non-issue for organized co-op. Today we wanted to try the last boss but our gear levels were 9, 11, and 15. There was such a big spread since first player had only played about a third or half the game, the second one had only played through his own campaign, and I’d played through the second player’s campaign, half of my own, and maybe an hour or two of pubs. 45 minutes of playing in my world, and my friends were at averages of 13.5 and 14.(Though this only worked since my save wasn’t where we wanted to do the final fight on, so we had basically an endless supply of level 15 areas to grind for galvanized iron on).

The structure of the game still feels really weird even at this point, and even after deciding the level scaling doesn’t matter. It still feels like the randomness vs. fixed parts are exactly the wrong way around. The fixed drops are annoying when you play with the same group, everyone always has exactly the same build options available, so you don’t really get as much variety within the party as one would want. But then on the other hand you can’t even get the benefit of the fixed drops by finding the encounter that gives you the drop you want, since those are randomized and you need to play through big chunks of the game just to figure out if you got lucky and had the right boss get generated. The level procgen isn’t really varied enough to support extra plays; I’ve gotten bored of some specific biomes and prefab pieces much faster than in games with hand-crafted levels.

The issues I had with mods went away in the mid-game. Early on it felt like they charged so slowly that it was impossible to rely on them, and I mostly forgot about them. But then in the late game challenging fights were all about working around the mod recharge rates. (It helped that I mostly ended up using mods with multiple charges).

I hate how stingy the game is with Luminite. The boss weapons are cool; but there’s no way I’m upgrading more than two of them to a useful level. I really like the moment to moment gameplay, and have basically played through the game 1.5 times by now. 'm quite likely to finish at least this current playthrough. But that still won’t get me to max level on even a single boss weapon.

The player count scaling on the final boss is indeed total bullshit. It was totally impossible with three players, in three runs (and with two players knowing the mechanics from previous runs) we only got the second phase to open up once. The one of the players left, and we could quite consistently do it on every single trip to the other dimension. We just got screwed a few times by one player dying to the boss and the other player being teleported out before they could res. Having both players use Ruin took care of that, but it required a bit of equipment juggling and meant we needed three teleports.

And holy crap what a nightmare the final boss is with randoms. I got matched with randoms just entering the final battle for the first time in half my attempts to play pubs. There’s no way I’m going to baby sit somebody for half an hour while they learn how to not die to the trivial first phase, and then however long it takes for them to grasp how the second stage works without any communication.

I thought it was pretty fair. Our progress was basically:

• Games 1-2: Die to the first form a couple of times.
  • Game 3: Get to the second form; note that we aren’t doing any damage no matter where we hit. One player gets teleported. Both players die before the teleported player gets out.
  • Game 4: Figure out that you need to exit the other dimension by the portal. There’s definitely going to be something to shoot at once you exit, and the damage numbers are insanely high. So it should be obvious that you’re getting some sort of buff. But while it’s now moving the health bar, the effect is so small that there must be more to it.
  • Game 5: Try to exit the portal as quickly as possible. The damage is still high, but much lower than on the first try. So try to stay in the other dimension as long as possible instead. And boom, the damage numbers go up and you also have the boss reveal the weak spot.
  • Game 6: Figure out that it’s not time spent in the other dimension that gives the buff, but the number of kills. (I would have missed this one, since I don’t look at status indicators. But my friend with a lot of training in Destiny was instinctively looking at the buff indicator and tracing exactly when it went up).
  • Game 7: Realize that the mods are charging up basically instantly when firing with the buff. Which makes sense given the rules of the game, but wasn’t something we considered before that.

That seemed pretty reasonable. Maybe there could have been a sound / visual queue for gaining the buff, not just the status tracker?

After that it was just a matter of figuring out how to execute. So step by step discoveries of:

• It’s all about making the most of your time in the other dimension. So pop a Bloodwort and Frenzy Powder right after the teleport.
  • Make sure you have at least one damage-dealing mod.
  • Have the damage mod fully charged up when entering the other dimension, and don’t be shy about using it. You only need a dozen kills or so to get enough stacks of the buff to crack the boss open.
  • When shooting at the unexposed boss with the buff, just fire quick bursts to charge up the damage mods, use the mods, quick burst with the gun, mods, etc.

This iterative process felt really satisfying. Even more fun than trying to optimize builds for a tough co-op MonHun mission. Makes me wish once again that I’d had the experience of playing through a Destiny raid with a group that’s going in blind.

Yep. The pub matchmaking is just bizarre. I think they weren’t expecting these kinds of player counts, and thought they’d have no chance of matching people up based on level or story progress. So the matchmaking is just totally random.

Having something like the system from The Division would have been amazing.

Adventure mode update patch notes.

Leto’s Lab update patch notes.

Content roadmap!

This went live on xBox Console Game Pass last week - anyone playing it? I’m getting stuck on the Gorefist 1st boss fight… not sure what using iFrames to dodge/roll is (per post above) and the exploding minions are too damn fast for me currently.

Yep Gorefist is very tough, most bosses are a lot easier. Try and get some MP help just to get past it.

Iframe is short for invincibility frame, when you roll you are briefly invulnerable, use that to dodge through attacks and not take damage. Try using the SMG or the gasbags, you can get it back at base through an env puzzle.

I had a tough time with Gorefist too. After dying to him over and over, I rolled an adventure campaign and leveled up there before returning to the main story.

Boss tip: bring Gorefist up to the second floor and then jump over a railing to the first floor. He’ll follow you over the railing, but his jump animation takes a while and leaves him open to attack.

This game turn out to be pretty good ac? I am sorta interested in it myself… I know you liked it initially I mean later on.

I got 20 hours of good fun out of it. They have released more content since then. It feels really good to play, I recommend it highly.

Well, I got a bit of solo time in last night (keeping my xBoneX campaign to friends only, and I don’t appear to have any friends playing it currently).

I picked up the machine pistol, but I’m having the most success whittling him down with the shotgun. I got him down to 1-2 bars a couple of times, but the exploding rot/bleeding effects from the rushing minions keeps getting me as I roll into a corner or some such and can’t fire off my dragon heart.

I tried the upstairs bit once, but couldn’t find a place where I could jump off and died.

Is it recommended to do an oilskin before the fight to stave off the rot? The problem with the consumables is that they disappear after each unsuccessful attempt.

Unfortunately my mods are on my regular pistol and 2-shot coach shotgun - if I can buy another mod, can I swap those out, or do they just disappear?

With Gorefist, I ran into the big room just to the right of the entrance and did big loops to pick him off and the adds. This worked on my early playthrough. Tried it again at a higher level on adventure mode and I had a harder time. I think I levelled my weapon too much.

Overall, I love the moment to moment action in this game. At its best, it is the game I wish Hellgate London would have turned out to be. Boss fights with adds are a drag for me though - especially with the level scaling. It feels like I am being punished for upgrading my weapon.

You can roll through the bomber’s explosions and there’s an audio cue as they approach. My tactic was to take things very slow. I went upstairs and only shot at Gorefist A) after I had dodged his attack and B) if I couldn’t hear bombers.

I’d run in circles and wait for the bombers to get up to me to explode then roll through them as they detonated, that way I didn’t have to waste time/ammo on killing most of them. Then I’d dodge a Gorefist swing and hot him a couple times with a shotgun, repeat.

There are cheap potions you can buy that cure Rot and gives you good resistance for like 10 minutes. Drink one of those before the battle as it helps you from getting Rot if a bomber cloud clips you a few times.

Any word on whether if I get a 3rd weapon mod, I can swap my current ones stuck on my old weapons out for it and upgrade my new weapons? Thinking of the math, it’s possible I may need 2 mods to do that for both.

Not sure I understand the question. You can remove mods from weapons at will.

Couldn’t figure out how to. Will try again.