Republic of Rome forum game II

I thought you could only elect a dictator when three or more wars were threatening? Or is it because the combined strength of the war is > 20?

Three simultaneous wars or a total strength of 20. This counts both fleet strength and army strength but not fleet support, so right now it’s at 26.

I believe we should reserve the dictator for a true emergency. These Carthaginians can be defeated through the standard processes of our Republic.

@scottagibson

Optimates vote Yes

Sorry, just got back down from the mountains.

With those odds, maybe we should build these fleets, then wait and build more next turn. Of course the problem with that approach is that we might get more wars etc.

Mountain sheep, I understand.

Heh. No mountain sheep, but I did see some wild llamas.

I think we should attack this turn; saves us the unrest of an unprosecuted war.

Sweet spot is 15 or 17 fleets; I could be persuaded to build two more fleets before we attack, but we’d only be marginally improving the victory odds and we’d have a bare treasury.

If we pull out a victory with 15 fleets and have a fortunate year next year (and we give to the state treasury until it hurts), we could see the war over next year. 15 fleets preserves that upside.

Calpurnicus proposes that we send the consul Aemilius of the Southwestern Mountain Shepherds to Siciliy with 15 fleets to destroy the Carthaginians

All may vote.

@scottagibson
@Knightsaber
@CF_Kane

Yes, and

Assidui give their 10 votes to the war proposal

My vote depends on whether Aemilius (@Knightsaber) is willing.

8 Yes votes to send Aemilius to war from his own Mountain Shepherds

We didn’t like him much anyway.

Edit: That’s a joke, we are trying to win :)

Optimates vote Yes

@rho21 Populates vote yes. Motion carries unanimously.

@rho21 As presiding consul, I declare this session of the Senate closed.

Great Jove, hear our prayer: Guard and protect Aemilius as he contests with the barbarians and their strange gods!

Combat

Aemilius departs from Rome with a huge armada and orders to find and destroy the Carthaginian fleet, to secure naval superiority for Rome. He sails straight down the coast, taking no risk with storms in the open sea and soon arrives at the straits of Messana, his ships in full order and ready for battle. There he finds the Carthaginian fleet holding the straits.

Naturally Aemilius calls for the attack at once, but the narrow straits limit the number of ships that can engage at once; superb Carthaginian seamanship and fire from the walls of Messana turn the Roman vanguard back with heavy losses.

Next, Aemilius turns his ships along the north coast of Sicilia, hoping to draw the Carthaginian fleet to give battle by threatening Panormus. But either Hamilcar is a wily admiral or he has spies in Rome to report that the fleet travels without an army so the city is in little danger. Either way, the Carthaginians are not tempted from the strait.

Sailing the fleet all the way around Sicilia to approach the straits from the south is an unpalatable choice: the Romans would be badly positioned should more ships sail from Carthage and at risk of a great disaster.

In the end, all Aemilius can do is send his marines to relieve Rheggium by land. A gain for sure, but not the strategic victory Rome was hoping for.

Combat results

Die roll was 12, which is an immediate standoff due to Hamilcar.
This costs one quarter (rounded up) losses to the Roman forces, namely 4 of the 15 fleets.
Four mortality chits were drawn, looking for Aemilius (19) only: 9, 22, 7, 6. Aemilius lives.
The 11 surviving fleets will remain at the war and Aemilius will become proconsul next year.

Revolution

Players may trade cards at this time.

Then players may play any statesmen or concessions they hold.

@CF_Kane, @Knightsaber, @scottagibson, @antlers

I play the Sicilian Grain Concession on Terentius

Pass

@rho21 -. I play the tax farmer concession on Calpurnicus

Thanks for doing such a great job on the write ups!