Republic of Rome forum game II

@rho21 Populares pass

Mortality

Again the gods smile on the Roman senate: none of its members have grown ill over the winter, despite their advancing age. Some call it a sign of Rome’s great destiny in the world, others think it more likely condescension at Rome’s flailing first attempt to fight at sea.

Mortality

I drew a None chit again. This is really weird, why has nobody died yet?

Revenue

Faction Revenue

Player Senators Knights Concessions Offices Total Income Previous Total Money
@antlers 6 1 2 0 9 4 13
@scottagibson 6 3 9 1* 19 6 25
@Knightsaber 5 2 2 0 9 45 54
@CF_Kane 6 2 5 0 13 8 21

* Pontifex Maximus income (1d6) = 2 - 1 for evil omens

Players, please distribute all funds as you see fit between faction and personal treasuries.
You may also trade money at this time.

State Revenue and Expenses

Base Wars Legions Fleets Land Bills Provinces Net Income Previous Treasury New Treasury
100 -20 -8 -22 0 0 50 25 75

Senators may make contributions to the state.
This will gain influence: 10T => 1 influence, 25T => 3 influence, 50T => 7 influence

@rho21 Fulvius will donate the Shipbuilding Profits of 45 talents to Rome’s Treasury (in increments of 25, 10, and 10), 5 to Fulvius himself and 4 to the Personal Treasury

One contribution per senator per turn, I’m afraid. 50 from Fulvius or spread them out?

16 to Quinctius, 5 to faction treasury

All 50.

Sure. Does the remaining 4 money go to faction treasury, or do you want it on someone now?

Let’s give it to Papirius.

Let me redo that then now that I’ve learned.

@rho21 Fulvius will donate 50 to Rome’s Treasury. Remaining 4 to Papirius.

That’s prettier and nicer.

20 to Terentius to hold for EO, 5 to Fabius

@rho21 - 5 to Aurelius, 5 to Calpurnicus, 3 to Flaminius

Forum

@antlers: you have a new hand card. What will the Assidui do with their initiative?

@rho21- Aurelius makes a persuasion attempt on Furius with 5 talents; Calpurnicus attracts a knight with 5 talents

Aurelius’ (Oratory + Influence) - Furius’ (Loyalty + Personal Treasury) + (Bribes - Counterbribes) = (3 + 13) - (8 + 0) + (5 - ?) = 13 - ?

@antlers: I’m going to ask for confirmation as this is an unusual base number to go for: an unmodified roll of 10+ is always a failure so 9 is the norm. You can also respond if there are any counterbribes. There are reasons you might want to do this though.

@rho21 - Thanks, I missed that unmodified 10+ was a failure. Go with 1 talent bribe for base number of 9

@CF_Kane: you may counterbribe if desired.

@rho21 No counterbribe.

Persuasion roll is a 10. 1 talent moves from Aurelius to Furius; Furius remains available in the forum.

Calpurnicus gets a knight.

In a sea battle, the great predatory fish will swarm from miles around to eat the men thrown from the boats, dead or alive. It is said the taste of blood carried by the waves draws them to their prey, briefly vulnerable in the fishes’ own element. And how they feast.
So it is in human affairs too, as all know well. When one great city suffers a setback, its neighbours appear, looking for opportunity. This year the sharks are Gauls, a barbaric people from just north of the peninsula, and further, beyond the great mountains. They have launched an attack against our allies in Etruria, who are sore pressed. Naturally the senate must send aid, but will it just hold the line, or will it raise legions to drive the Gauls out of all territory this side of the alps?

1st Gallic War

The Gauls can be defeated without need for a fleet; they have a land strength of 10. A disaster happens on a natural 13, a standoff on a 15. Spoils for defeating the war are 20 talents and the province of Gallia Cisalpina.

@scottagibson: it’s your initiative.