Republic of Rome forum game II

I am also terribly interested in this card.

I think it it steals a card from my hand.

Influence Peddling
Discard this card to draw a card at random from a player’s hand.
May not be played during the Revolution Phase.

Well that’s not sporting.

No, not really. For the benefit of everyone else, @antlers just drew a Tribune from my hand.

Populares vote yes and yes.

Fabius picks up his toys and heads to war.

@rho21

Combat

Despite the threat of Hannibal’s army already on the peninsula, the senate felt it was strategically more sound to deal with the problem of Macedon first, to allow Roman allies in the Greek islands to send fleets west to threaten the Carthaginian supply lines and prevent further landings.

A large force was sent east, using boats loaned from the aformentioned allies to cross the Adriatic. Philip V of Macedon was no coward and had already won great renown for martial skill in his campaign against the Seleucids. So it was no surprise to Fabius to find the Macedonians arrayed on a hill in a strong defensive position, spoiling for a fight.

Fabius and Aemilius consulted on the best way to approach this situation without suffering heavy losses to arrows and to fighting uphill. They called for the catapults to be brought forward. These were poor weapons for fighting in the field due to their inaccuracy and slow rate of fire, but against an enemy who refused to come forward they offered the opportunity to do some damage at least.

The Roman tactics of delay and bombardment wore on for days. Not for nothing was Fabius named “Cunctator”: his patience was legendary. The Macedonians grew gradually more fractious until finally Philip realised he must call for battle or his men would start fighting one another.

Seeing this, the catapults were quickly dragged to the rear and the legions formed up for battle. The legionaries held steady, looking unconcerned even as as the Macedonian phalanx reached a full charge, screaming wildly as they neared the Roman lines. For Fabius had not left his legionaries idle during the nights. Hidden in the grass in front of the legions were numerous small traps - snares, caltrops and the like - which served to break the ferocity of the charge and throw the Macedonians into confusion. Into the chaos, the legions pounced. The Macedonians had trouble dragging themselves back into formation and were easy prey for the well-drilled Romans.

Philip formed his phalanx up for another attempt, sure that their long spears must still leave them the advantage. This time they moved slowly over the trapped ground. But as they did so, the Romans fell backwards in step, allowing their archers to the fore to shoot at the phalanx. The Macedonians were trapped anew: they couldn’t charge forwards due to the traps; they couldn’t flee quickly for the same reason. They continued to march forward slowly, but losses were mounting.

At last battle was properly joined, the Macedonians discovering that the Romans had now lined up just beyond some slightly marshy ground, giving themselves the superior footing. The fighting lasted for two hours, the Macedonians eventually breaking mostly due to the sheer numerical advantage now enjoyed by the Romans.

Philip V sued for peace two days later; Fabius left with the Roman coffers significantly refreshed.

2nd Macedonian War

Roll was a 9, which becomes a 21 after all modifications. Victory with no losses.
Unrest decreases by 1 to 1.
Fabius gains 5 popularity and influence.
Rome gains 45 talents.
One legion becomes a veteran and owes allegiance to Fabius.

Philip V becomes inactive until a further Macedonian war is drawn.

The other two wars are unprosecuted.

Revolution

Players may trade cards at this time.

Then players may play any statesmen or concessions they hold.

@CF_Kane, @Knightsaber, @scottagibson, @antlers

Yay, Rome! And great story!

Nothing from me.

Nothing from me. Next turn, we will need to give Fabius his reward—a minor prosecution, so that we can use him again later.

Yes, I don’t object to that.

@rho21, can I move a concession from one Senator to another? If so, then I move the tax farmer concession from Fabius to Claudius.

I will play:

L. Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus [19A] (statesman) (E)
Popularity 0, Influence 4, Military 5, Oratory 4, Loyalty 8
Nullifies Disaster and Standoff on Macedonian War cards

@rho21

I was sort of hoping we’d hold off a turn on Macedonia but it turned out alright :)

@scottagibson: You cannot. On the plus side, concessions that are stripped by prosecution can be reassigned in the same senate phase.

There will be another Macedonian war.

Macedonicus and Fabius would be an OK pair (+10) for the Carthaginian wars, too. If we can tackle them next year.

No actions in this phase from Assidui

@rho21

For avoidance of doubt, Fabius release his forces, lays down his Imperium and returns to Rome to be hailed victor.

Just for reference, if a senator hits 35 influence, they become Consul for life and win.

I’m done this phase, if I was holding anything up. @rho21